Rock Climbing Shoes/Harness

Will Royal Caribbean let you wear your own climbing shoes/harness on their wall? I hate climbing in my tennis shoes, even on artificial walls. The harness I could see them potentially not allowing for liability sake. I'm just wondering if I should bring these along or not.

We were seriously into climbing when we went on the Freedom years back, and we didn't bother bringing any gear. Honestly the holds are big and the climb is very easy, we did fine in running shoes. Plus it was so hot and humid up there that we only did one climb. Fun to say we did it, but a challenge or needing climbing shoes, no. Save the space in your luggage.  I'm sure it would be a no to your own harness. 

Edited by purplegrapefruit
Typo

I always take my own shoes, never a problem. I've taken my own chalk bag a few times, also not a problem, but they also usually have one that you can use. I asked about the harness and didn't really get an answer, my guess is it'd depend on who was working, their harnesses are fine for the amount of time you'll be in them, though.

I've never seen them allow anyone to climb in running shoes. They will provide climbing shoes, and they are decent shoes, but they will refuse to give you the correct size. Since all non-climbers complain about them being tight, they will add a couple of sizes and then it is worse than climbing in running shoes. Last cruise I didn't bring my own shoes, I would specifically say "I want a 45, no not a 48 a 45, I climb and I wear a 45." They'd still give me the 48 and say "they run small try this" I'd walk off, come back a few minutes later and say "too big, can I get a 45?"

Plus there can be a line for shoes that you can skip if you have your own. They will also notice you have your own shoes and put you on the harder routes.

Edited by OSUZorba

12 hours ago, OSUZorba said:

Plus there can be a line for shoes that you can skip if you have your own. They will also notice you have your own shoes and put you on the harder routes.

I'm glad to know that they offer shoes,. When we went on the Freedom it was the first year it sailed and they didn't have shoes. They didn't have chalk either, and it was hot and sweaty climbing. It kind of turned us off since we didn't want to truck our own shoes with us on vacation.  Maybe we'll consider climbing on the ship again now that we know we can borrow shoes. 

Edited by purplegrapefruit
added detail