Accessible Quebec City Hotel?

My family will be cruising out of Quebec City in October, and I’m looking for a hotel for one night pre-cruise.  I believe that most (all?) of the hotels in Old Quebec are out of the running.  Dad may be using a wheelchair to get around, so we need something without stairs in the entry, and either an elevator or an accessible room on the main floor.  In a perfect world, it would be in an area with some charm, and won’t cost a fortune.  Is this too much to ask?

Without knowing what sort of price you put on 'not a fortune' and how charming you feel 'some' charm is, the best I can do is suggest you check out the links on this page for general info on accessible accommodation, restos, tourist sites and this one if you would consider an actual tour that could handle your dad's mobility issues. We've stayed in a Best Western that was pretty convenient for touristy wandering around Upper & Lower town, is a typical modern elevator-having hotel with some accessible rooms, and that seemed a pretty fair price (we liked the area too - it had lots of restos conveniently close without hills to climb).

Do be aware that if you intend to walk around pushing dad that cobbles can be a nightmare for wheelchairs (I speak from experience of pushing my granny around) and there are lots of cobbles in Quebec City! Lots of pretty steep sidewalks too, so unless you are in good shape and want a workout, plan your walking carefully and dropping a few bucks to use the Funicular to get between Upper & Lower town will be well worth it - especially since only the able-bodied folks will pay, dad rides free if he's in his chair!

Thank you so much for the info!  It turns out that many of the hotels only have one or two accessible rooms - and the closest ones are already booked for my date.   I just booked L'Hotel Quebec - not a lot of the old Quebec charm, but definitely reasonable at $114/night CAD.  Now I'm off to find a tour for us - thanks so much for that link, as well!

1 hour ago, Luvin' Cruisin' said:

Thank you so much for the info!  It turns out that many of the hotels only have one or two accessible rooms - and the closest ones are already booked for my date.   I just booked L'Hotel Quebec - not a lot of the old Quebec charm, but definitely reasonable at $114/night CAD.  Now I'm off to find a tour for us - thanks so much for that link, as well!

L'Hotel Québec is in Sainte-Foy, miles from anywhere a tourist would want to visit. Your savings will be eaten up by transportation costs. The Best Western martincath mentioned is a much better option location-wise.

On 5/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, Twickenham said:

L'Hotel Québec is in Sainte-Foy, miles from anywhere a tourist would want to visit. Your savings will be eaten up by transportation costs. The Best Western martincath mentioned is a much better option location-wise.

Thanks for your further encouragement.  The issue isn't $$ as much as my dad's mobility challenges.  When I called the Best Western main reservation number, I was told that the City Center BW doesn't have any wheelchair accessible rooms. I started fanning out my search, looking for anyplace that can accommodate my dad, and the L'Hotel Quebec seemed the only option.  I'm happy to say that, when I called the hotel directly, they said that they do have one accessible room, and it's available on my date - - so, YAY!  We're staying right where we want to be, and making sure that Dad is taken care of.  

The next step will be sorting out a tour - I agree that pushing a wheelchair over cobblestones would be a misery for the pusher and the pushee.  🙂  Dad says he's happy to just hang out and let us explore...  but I'd love to be able to share some of the city with us.  

Thanks again, everyone, for your help!