Eateries Plan

masterdrago

Whenever we travel, our preference is to dine at local, unique, one of a kind eateries. Since an Alaska adventure will be new to us, it behooves us to do some research. With a lot of help from some of the CC chaps and chapettes, we have made somewhat of a plan. DW has a penchant for fine wine and atmosphere coupled with good service, especially at dinner. Since many of the researched dives recommend reservations, a regimented look became almost unavoidable. I've listed here the plan encompassing our multi-day DIY pre cruise land tour and port stops. We still have need for thoughts on anywhere I've included ??

1st Day - Since flying most of the day, decided that close to Anchorage overnight works best so 5:30  reservations at Simon & Seafort's   Then find a place to buy snacks like fruit, jerky, protein bars, etc b4 leaving Anchorage for Denali, etc
2nd Day - When making our way to Talkeetna, we'll pass through Wasilla and a 6pm reservation at the Grape Tap works out nicely
3rd Day - Choices in Talkeetna - Foraker Dining Room at our stay, West Rib Pub & Grill, or Denali Brewing Co. Dinner or lunch but doing an 11-1 flight seeing tour so breakfast & lunch??
4th Day - Breakfast Talkeetna then into Denali - lunch ?? still looking??  6:30 ATV tour w/back country dinner
5th Day - Breakfast lunch Denali??  possible transit bus tour to Taklat River  5pm reservations at MooseAKa's b4 Jeep excursion
6th Day - Drive to Girdwood/Alyeska breakfast early at Grand Denali Lodge, lunch Wasilla or Palmer?? Spend day sight seeing  Dinner reservations at 7 Glaciers
7th Day - Breakfast Alyeska Resort, all day glacier cruise Prince William Sound. Maybe get The Pond Cafe to make us a sack lunch.  dinner?? after 6:30
8th Day - Breakfast Girdwood/Alyeska?? Drive Seward quick lunch b4 Orca Watch cruise  dinner at Ray's at boat harbor 6:30
9th Day - Crazy day early breakfast, return rent car Anchorage, bus to Seward, board Radiance, Windjammers??
10th Day - Cruising onboard Radiance  MTD in MDR   Hubbard Glacier Dinner Chops or Giavannis
11th Day - Juneau 10am whale watch, Might not have a lot of time here for lunch??  3:30 short flight. Dinner MDR onboard
12th Day - Skagway lunch Carcross?, Dinner Chops or Giavannis
13th Day - Icy Strait 10am mammal glacier cruise lunch Hoonah?, Dinner MDR
14th Day - Ketchikan 10am flight Misty Fjords lunch Ketchikan, dinner MDR
15th Day - Cruise Inside Passage lunch and dinner onboard
16th Day - Lunch Vancouver?? or during drive to Seattle, dinner Seattle??

DW has complained that I'm filling every available moment. I say that there are many openings for spur of the moment decisions, especially at lunch. And maybe breakfast also. I'm not a big fan of eating in the eateries attached to the places we are staying. Some look really nice and do get good reviews. Most any "hole in the Wall" will work for me. Anymore thoughts will be appreciated.

For lunch on Day 4 you could stop at McKinley Creekside Cafe.  It is about 10-15 minutes south of Denali proper.  There is also supposed to be a Thai food truck in or around Denali.  If you like that cuisine, it is supposed to be very good.  We didn't ever come across it when we were there last year but we didn't look real hard either.  

We are going to try West Rib Pub & Grill on our day in Talkeetna on Sunday the 19th.  

I am a planner as well and like to know ahead of time what is scheduled.  

We'll be driving up and exploring from Talkeetna on the 19th into Denali. Looks like about a 3 hour drive if do not stop. I assure you, that won't happen. I have too much camera gear that will need some exercise🙂 On the evening of the 19th, we have a 6:30 ATV tour with Black Diamond Resort with a provided back country dinner - " mouth watering ribs, chicken, steak, salmon fresh from the coastal waters of Alaska, baked beans, and potato salad. Plus, be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth with our delicious cobbler for dessert". So we will most likely do a late lunch near Denali so McKinley Creekside Cafe may fill the bill. Menu looks great. Famous Mooster Burger!! Good reviews on TripAdvisor. Added to my timeline notes. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

The Alyeska Bake Shop has to-die-for cinnamon rolls.  Right at the hotel.

I'm in! We'll be doing breakfast twice at Alyeska and possibly getting them to pack us a sack lunch for on the Lazy Otter full day thing.

3 hours ago, masterdrago said:

1st Day -  find a place to buy snacks like fruit, jerky, protein bars, etc b4 leaving Anchorage for Denali, etc

Carrs Grocery (part of the Safeway chaing) or Fred Meyer's (part of the Kroger chain) will have what you need.

6th Day -  lunch Wasilla or Palmer??

I would recommend either Krazy Moose Sandwiches in Wasilla, or the Palmer Ale House in Palmer.

7th Day -  lunch. 

You could grab an early lunch in Whittier before the cruise.

I made a couple of recommendations above in red.

Thanks AK. I see the Fred Meyer's a couple of miles from where we are staying the first night (east side of Lake Spenard). Carr's is 5 miles. In our neck of the woods, Fred Meyer's is the jewelry store inside Kroger🤔  Both Krazy Moose & Palmer Ale House look great for a lunch on the road. Made notes.

33 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

I made a couple of recommendations above in red.

Whittier might get rushed a bit Leaving Alyeska for the 1:00 Orca Quest. Major Marine claims check in time is 12:00. We want to drop our luggage at Seward Windsong and/or early check in there. Might get opinions on Chinook's right next door to the Harbor 360 Hotel which looks to be Major Marine Tours.

Just wanted to drop a note of thanks for mentioning Moose-AKa's on another board, masterdrago. I called and got reservations for our first night in Denali!

I hope you'll have a moment to report back on these places after you visit them.

Fair winds,

1 hour ago, Unibok said:

Just wanted to drop a note of thanks for mentioning Moose-AKa's on another board, masterdrago. I called and got reservations for our first night in Denali!

I hope you'll have a moment to report back on these places after you visit them.

Fair winds,

Will do. I plan on completing my trip report that I recently started after we return - - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2660632-trip-report-may-24-2019-radiance-of-the-seas-seward-vancouver/

4 hours ago, kjmcneil89 said:

Talkeetna - recommend Denali Brewpub over West Rib, breakfast at Talkeetna Roadhouse

Seward - The Cookery is arguably the best restaurant in Alaska. Especially for locally sourced food. 

I've got the Brewpub in my Talkeetna notes already. In Seward for an early lunch, I've got Chinooks. The Cookery is only open for dinner on our dates there and I have Ray's down for dinner after the Orca Search. And a big thank you for the Roadhouse suggestion. I'm hungry just looking at the Sourdough Blueberry Hotcakes! Wow!!

3 hours ago, masterdrago said:

I've got the Brewpub in my Talkeetna notes already. In Seward for an early lunch, I've got Chinooks. The Cookery is only open for dinner on our dates there and I have Ray's down for dinner after the Orca Search. And a big thank you for the Roadhouse suggestion. I'm hungry just looking at the Sourdough Blueberry Hotcakes! Wow!!

I would swap out Ray's for lunch and go to The Cookery for dinner that evening.  I will second that it was one of the best restaurants we ate at in our 11 day trip last year to Alaska.   

We did eat at Chinooks and it was okay but not great.

13 hours ago, bindy1 said:

I would swap out Ray's for lunch and go to The Cookery for dinner that evening.  I will second that it was one of the best restaurants we ate at in our 11 day trip last year to Alaska.   

We did eat at Chinooks and it was okay but not great.

I'm open for that idea. Looking at their web pages, I can see no images in their gallery of what the views are like from the inside of the restaurant. Can anybody elaborate? Looks like it is about 150 yards from the shoreline.

Edited by masterdrago

On 5/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, masterdrago said:

I'm open for that idea. Looking at their web pages, I can see no images in their gallery of what the views are like from the inside of the restaurant. Can anybody elaborate? Looks like it is about 150 yards from the shoreline.

No views from The Cookery.  They are located a couple of blocks from the water.  I would take their food over views any day though. 

Also keep in mind the weather in Alaska.  When we were there, never saw the sun, rained everyday and couldn't see the mountain peaks due to low hanging clouds, overcast, etc.  

Also don't rule out a stop at Le Barn Appetit & Creperie.  Doesn't look like much from the outside but wonderful crepes, good coffee and interesting conversation with the young lady that has taken over a lot of the day to day duties from the owners.  

36 minutes ago, bindy1 said:

No views from The Cookery.  They are located a couple of blocks from the water.  I would take their food over views any day though. 

<snip>Also don't rule out a stop at Le Barn Appetit & Creperie. 

I've got LeBarn Appetit & Creperie on my note list. As far as view.... You might want to meet my DW:)