Extension cord multi outlet

annster31

On our almost three weeks in Europe (first time) we purchased a multi plug small ext cord to fit eurpoean outlets that connects to a multi outlet/ usb ports. Then my wife says to me last night will MSC confiscate it (Carnival got me once with an extension cord thing no power surge protection) on the cruise portion of our trip? Thanks for any info

We've taken ours on Seaside twice and did not have a problem using them or getting them on!

19 minutes ago, Epos Man said:

some get them on some don't

without surge protection almost likely they wouldn't allow

That's actually incorrect on a ship and how it is grounded since it is surrounded by water. Specifically, cruise lines tell you that no surge protector is allowed, and it wouldn't help.  Ships have three transformers to take voltage down:  One from 10kV to  480V, then one from 480V to 220V, and a final one from 220V to 120V.  By that point, a surge protector is both useless for protection and actually a fire hazard.  A straight extension cord with a three outlet end would be perfectly okay by the rules.  From the Coast Guard:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Edited by JAGR

Hi Jagr thanks for the correction i would have thought a surge protection would have been better but I see after reading the info its not.

Although as we know some do get power strips on and some don't lucky dip really

And MSC is very relaxed.  Truth be told, last March, I brought a bottle of rum openly through security in St. Thomas.  Security looked at the bottle, handed it to me and said, "Have a nice day!"  I was prepared to part with it until Friday night, but not necessary.

Edited by JAGR