Vancouver Hotel: Loden or Coast Coal Harbour?

ppfqp

Have a choice between Loden Hotel and Coast Coal Harbour for 1-night pre-cruise hotel next month. Price is about equal. Which is the better option? Previous stays have been at Pan Pacific, but not available for our date. 

Thanks for any insight! 

I'd have to point you toward TripAdvisor/Expedia etc. reviews rather than personal experience, since living downtown I very rarely stay in hotels - but the Loden's reviews kick Coast's butt six ways to Sunday so it's a no-brainer on that front! They're in a very similar location so there's not really anything to choose from on that front, and close enough to the PP that you should be familiar with the pier, resto options etc. already.

1 minute ago, martincath said:

I'd have to point you toward TripAdvisor/Expedia etc. reviews rather than personal experience, since living downtown I very rarely stay in hotels - but the Loden's reviews kick Coast's butt six ways to Sunday so it's a no-brainer on that front! They're in a very similar location so there's not really anything to choose from on that front, and close enough to the PP that you should be familiar with the pier, resto options etc. already.

Thank you - yes, the Loden does get really great reviews and it looks lovely. But the Coast's reviews aren't bad either. Thanks for your insight!

Both hotels are a block or so away from my house. Both have great bars/restaurants. My only caution with Loden right now is that it is immediately next door to a huge construction project. The sidewalk has been closed off for months and there are cranes and construction machinery/vehicles out front constantly. Not sure if that would impact you in terms of noise or if it would make a difference with such a short stay....but just so you are aware!

21 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Both hotels are a block or so away from my house. Both have great bars/restaurants. My only caution with Loden right now is that it is immediately next door to a huge construction project. The sidewalk has been closed off for months and there are cranes and construction machinery/vehicles out front constantly. Not sure if that would impact you in terms of noise or if it would make a difference with such a short stay....but just so you are aware!

Thanks so much for that insight - that's good info. None of the reviews mention that. What about the Auberge Vancouver? Would that be a better option? 

30 minutes ago, ppfqp said:

Thanks so much for that insight - that's good info. None of the reviews mention that. What about the Auberge Vancouver? Would that be a better option? 

I don't really know too much about that one - it's pretty close to the port, but that's as much as I know. The Coast and Loden are my local happy hour spots so more familiar with those two!

2 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

This will give you an idea if what you might be dealing with at Loden (the hotel is next to the former parking garage)

https://vancouver.skyrisecities.com/news/2019/02/parking-garage-cleared-away-stack

Wow! That is a big project. It looks like it will be so nice when it's complete.

I may go with Auberge for this trip simply because it is closer to the pier and the price is slightly less. The Loden looks so nice though!!! The reviews are so good. I wish we were staying in Vancouver longer, we have visited twice before and always have an amazing time. How has the weather been lately?

Just now, ppfqp said:

Wow! That is a big project. It looks like it will be so nice when it's complete.

I may go with Auberge for this trip simply because it is closer to the pier and the price is slightly less. The Loden looks so nice though!!! The reviews are so good. I wish we were staying in Vancouver longer, we have visited twice before and always have an amazing time. How has the weather been lately?

Mostly beautiful and sunny with a few days of rain thrown in here and there (it wouldn't be Vancouver without rain)! Today was like summer - in fact we got a little sunburned visiting Playland, out local amusement park!

Auberge is certainly more comparable review-wise with Loden than Coast - and all that construction might explain why the pricing was comparable with Coast, which is definitely a step down in luxury on paper...  Good catch by Ceilidh to point out that's going on, although we do have quite robust local construction rules so unless you wanted a lie-in there should not be any loud noise or dust to disturb you at night from the Loden.