NCL Sun Forward Penthouse Suite Advice

Yo Adrienne

We're contemplating a cruise on the Sun in 2020 and considering a forward penthouse.  (We prefer forward, as we like to see where we're going, not where we've been.)  We like the smaller ships (was on the Sun a number of years ago and have been on the Jewel and Pearl multiple times--and have loved 'em all)...and the Sun has the best itinerary for us. 

Looking at 8203 or 9203...both are starboard side...and a little oddly shaped.  We're aware that the balconies are slightly smaller than the other forward penthouses--with slight obstruction on the far right side (which is okay for an Alaska cruise--and for just two of us traveling, it's plenty of space out there for us).  From what I can tell, 8203 is slightly larger than 9203 (and costs more for the same cruise), so the booking class is one above 9203, as well.  There’s no Haven on the ship, but both have concierge and butler service, and both include suite breakfast and lunch.

Knowing all of that, I have a couple of questions: 

1.  Do these suites have the free-standing pillar in the suite...?  (I’ve seen conflicting answers to this in various places.)

2.  Being directly above the Teen Center, is 8203 noisy...? 

3.  Are the bathrooms the same size...and with the same amenities...?

4.  Do these two suites have the same floor plan...?  (8203 is a "named" suite...and 9203 is not.  Actual pics and floorplans of these two suites are very hard to find online.)

5.   Any other pros or cons to either of these two suites…? 

If you've stay in one or both of these suites, would love to hear your thoughts/perspectives on these two suites...! 🙂

Thanks in advance.

8203 has what looks like a pole in it.  I'd guess 9203 would be same as 9003 which has a pillar in it.

Not sure about noise.  The front part was the kids area, then a hallway behind it, then a teen center from what I recall and the teen center was pretty small, more like a conference room.  I wouldn't think there'd be a ton of kids on that ship as it is older and  doing the shorter trips (not sure if you are doing one of those shorter trips).

32 minutes ago, dexddd said:

8203 has what looks like a pole in it.  I'd guess 9203 would be same as 9003 which has a pillar in it.

Not sure about noise.  The front part was the kids area, then a hallway behind it, then a teen center from what I recall and the teen center was pretty small, more like a conference room.  I wouldn't think there'd be a ton of kids on that ship as it is older and  doing the shorter trips (not sure if you are doing one of those shorter trips).

Yes, it's really hard to tell...I assume you stayed in 9003...?  If 9003 had one, I'm sure you're right that 9203 would have it.  But it's really unclear whether 8203 (and 8003, for that matter) would have it, too...? 

The cruise we're considering is an 11 day...and it IS when kids are back in school, so I do suspect there would be fewer kids on board.  

If you've stayed in 9003, when were you in it (pre- or post- refurb in 2018)...and would love to hear any thoughts you had about the suite...! 🙂 

Sorry, haven't stayed in that room - referenced photos and videos pre drydock.  Doubt changes to things like poles.

We stayed aft mini years ago on a 12 night June Baltic trip with our kids so went to kids area quite a bit.  That trip 50 kids total.

9002 in Dec 2018

VERY large balcony, we chose it specifically for that reason on our PC cruise and the one below us was equally large.

Solid metal on the lower half of the balcony, we thought it would be an issue but it wasn't despite preferring the open airier design...two lounge chairs, a nicely sized table for between chairs and also a table to eat from (every morning we did room service, fabulous!) with two chairs and still plenty of room.

Directly below bridge so they can see you if you're hanging over the rail but back up two feet and you're good.

Ok, here is some feedback on 8203:

1. There is a square pole in the cabin. Honestly, while there, it does not get in the way, and not a factor in my opinion.

2. While above the the teen center, there was no noise from the space below.

3. We did not have access to 9203, so cannot comment.

4. Bath was decent size with large whirlpool tub. Separate shower was a bit tight.

Here are some pics:

MVIMG_20190531_135008.jpg

IMG_20190531_135027.jpg

MVIMG_20190531_135015.jpg

IMG_20190531_135048.jpg

MVIMG_20190531_135036.jpg

IMG_20190531_135128.jpg

IMG_20190531_135122.jpg

On 5/29/2019 at 5:22 PM, Platinum Bob said:

We are in 8203 for a short cruise this coming weekend. I'll answer what I can when we return.

You're awesome...!  Thank you so much for sharing these pics...!  I really appreciate it...! 🙂 

How did you find the Sun to be in general...?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CSloan said:

Does 9203 (or 9003) have a wrap around balcony, since it's on the corner? Really can't tell from the deck plan.  Or, would 9002 and 9202 have more balcony space?

Thanks

I don't believe 9203 nor 9003 has a wrap-around balcony.  There is a sort of enclosed wall area at the sides.  You can see it in the picture.  The balconies are okay sized, but 9002 and 9202 would definitely have more balcony space, though those actual suites will be shaped a little differently and a little smaller than 9203 or 9003.  8003 and 8203 have larger balconies than 9203 and 9003.

IMG_5419.JPG

7 minutes ago, CSloan said:

Is it safe to assume that 9203 will have a couple of lounge chairs on the balcony?

With a great deal of difficulty, I was able to find a short Youtube video of 9003 (mirror image of 9203).  I'm pretty sure this is "pre-rehab"...but it should give you a very good idea of the size of the balcony. 

(We had been trying to decide between all of these suites, too, which is why I went to great lengths to try to find info on them...! 🙂 )