Nice-Rome July 2006

Finkwil

Getting final information and planning for the trip in July, wondering if anyone else is planning or going to be on the cruise leaving Nice on July 30th ending in Rome August 6th. Took a Windjammer years ago, so looking forward to the cruise this summer...would be nice to touch base with other people who have been on the Windstar cruises and/or repeating another.

We sailed Wind Spirit from Rome to Athens to Athens on a 14 day so I don't have any first hand experience with the ports you'll be visiting except on another large Princess ship.

However your trip will be unforgettable. Wonderful ship, ports, food and staff.

• 1 month later...

I assume you're talking about the fun trip out of Nice July 30th...really looking forward to it as well. First time on this line. Am reading all these yays and nays, though on the Windsurf. Hope problems corrected, especially a/c as it's HOT there in the summer....

Laurelguy....yes I am refering to the trip July 30th from Nice to Rome....we are staying the first two night in Nice before the trip with that package since we are leaving the next week for a 10 day stay at the Cape...so needed to get back from the cruise....I too hope many of the things I have been reading have been taken care of, but still expecting to have a great time no matter what minor inconveniences may occur, that just goes with traveling, looking forward to the cruise and meeting some great people.

Laurelguy, yes Cape Cod..sorry forget sometimes that there are other capes that one might visit...coming from Chicago, looking forward to the cruise, did a windjammer years ago, so hoping this will be as a great trip as that was.

Hope to hear from more people who are planning the July 30th cruise from Nice to Rome...looking forward to hearing where people are coming from, it wont be long now. Any information would be appreciated having never been to that part of Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting ready for the trip in July 30th from Nice to Rome and was hoping to hear from others that are planning on being on that trip. We are staying at the Raddison for the pre cruise in Nice and thought it would be nice to get together before leaving on the cruise. Any information would also be appreciated as to how to pack and what we may need that is not offered by the Windstar. Hope everyone is having a great spring and looking forward to their trips this summer, know we are looking forward to the time away and seeing all that this part of Europe has to offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey...anyone making the trip on the Windsurf in July from Nice to Rome would like to touch base...getting closer and of course getting excited about the trip. Hope all of you are having a good time on the cruises you are taking and all is working out. Cant wait to get on board and just relax and do nothing for 8 days. Any new information on the Windsurf would be appreciated:)

Hey Cruisers --

I'll beat you on this cruise by about 6 weeks as I'm sailing it on June 18th. Can't wait, first time on Windstar and am really looking forward to the laid-back atmosphere I'm hearing about. And no formlawear to drag across the pond! :D We (my hubby and our other couple of friends) are arriving in Nice 4 days early to get past jet-lag and enjoy the Cote d'Azur, and the tail end of the trip will be 5 days in Rome. We've rented a darling 2BR apartment right in the heart of the city, so that should be a fabulous way to wrap up a 2-week time-of-our-lives vacation!!! We get back home the 1st of July so I'll have plenty of time to do a review for you, if you like! ;)

WilsonZoo:

Thanks for the reply, and yes would love to hear about the trip once you get back. We are staying two days in a pre cruise package in Nice, cant stay any time in Rome, in that we leave the following Saturday for 10 days in Cape Cod, Provincetown...that is an yearly trip, so always looking forward to the fantastic food and relaxation on the Cape, will be recouping I am sure from the cruise and jet lag for sure...Have a great trip and will be looking forward to your thoughts and all about your trip.

L.:)

Hey Fink--

I have calendared to be sure to write up a "brief" review of our cruise for you right after we get back. I will warn you... I've rarely had a cruise (or travel) experience I've not enjoyed immensely, so it may come off all sunshine and roses -- that's just my style of traveling (i.e., my glass being WAY more than half full most all the time!) :p I read all these reviews from gripers and wonder how much happier they would have been having never left their house to begin with! The fact that we're healthy and adventurous enough to travel in the first place and have the means to do it in the 2nd (albeit often maxxing out credit cards in the process!) right there puts us way ahead of many, if not MOST, people on this planet, so who are we to complain about a non-"PERFECT" meal or a few minor glitches here and there? Some of the most potentially trip-ruining events that have happened to me wound up being some of the funnest memories and best stories in the end. I guess it's all in your perspective...

OK, I'm now off my soapbox about keeping a positive attitude about everything that comes atcha. Like I said, you'll probably get a glowing review of our trip. I just can't imagine it will be anything short of magnificent!

we leave the following Saturday for 10 days in Cape Cod, Provincetown...that is an yearly trip, so always looking forward to the fantastic food and relaxation on the Cape

Have always dreamed of visiting Cape Cod. Being out here on the west coast it's bit of a jaunt to get back there, but one of these days I'll make it. Maybe pair it with a fall cruise up the east coast?!?! I've heard those are fantastic.

By the way, have you been doing any investigating on the ports we'll be visiting? Some of them are a bit obscure and I haven't found a ton of info on the internet, so far. May have to break down and actually visit a LIBRARY!!! How about you? Are you doing any scheduled excursions? We've decided to just wing it in all the ports, maybe hire some local folks for driving tours or local boat tours or the like. My downfall is that I'm a trip-planning fiend, I LOVE reading info on where I'm going and really boning up before getting there.

Wilsonzoo:

Have not found a lot of information either...did buy one book at a local neighborhood bookstore called "The French Riviera, inside pocket guide written by the Discovery Channel..not much on the individual towns or ports..for the most part we venture out on our own and find our own entertainment as far as things to see. Have not signed up for any of the excursions they offer at this time. We will play it by ear and see what each port has to offer as far a local color. I too am a big planner with lots of lists, still waiting to get the packet from the tour company responsible for this cruise, in the mean time, just getting things ready that I can do here. Hope you have a great time and cant wait to hear all that you did and found while on the cruise. Have bought quite a few paperbacks, so maybe will catch up on some reading, which I have not done in years.

L.

I have not been on this itinerary however, I can comment on one of the tours. We went on it a few years ago when we were on a Windstar cruise from Nice to Rome. If you have never seen Pompeii I strongly suggest that you go on that tour. It was amazing to see the city and how it was preserved. The detail you can see both in the city itself (paintings on the walls) and the way the people were preserved (you can even tell what clothes they were wearing) is phenomenal.

You will love the Windsurf. We went with our 3 daughters last year on a 10 day cruise from Athens to Rome. We loved the ship and loved the crew. You really get to know your fellow passengers. I agree with the last poster about Pompeii. It was a great excursion.

Pompeii is great. Sorrento is a lovely town to walk and gawk. Also in Amalfi, you can get a driver to take you for a ride along the coast...spectcular! If you tend to carsickness, sit in the front seat. It really depends on traffic though. It might be crawling that time of year. Enjoy!

If you have time to spend in Rome, do it. It is one of the best cities in the world, full of wonderful sights to see. It is very walkable and lots of good pizza! We have spent a lot of time there if you have specific questions. Enjoy.

If you have time to spend in Rome, do it. It is one of the best cities in the world, full of wonderful sights to see. It is very walkable and lots of good pizza! We have spent a lot of time there if you have specific questions. Enjoy.

Hey Duct--

At the tail end of our trip we're spending 5 days in Rome, we've rented a 2BR apt. (18th century building!) about 2 blocks north of the Pantheon. We've been in Rome once, about 6 years ago. One thing that we didn't do last time but that I absolutely want to try this time is a night-time walking tour, maybe of fountains or churches. Any thoughts or suggestions there? Thought we'd just wait til we got there to dig one up. Any must-see ideas from you would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Dana, that is just about the best location in the city! We have also rented apts in that area quite a few times. We will be back next month prior to a WindStar cruise but will be at a hotel. Google...walking tours Rome...and there is lots of info. E-mail me and I can send you the info we give to folks who are looking for restaurants, etc in Rome. jsbuck@verizon.net

I forgot to add...get the book Top 10 Rome and do it all!

Is it

Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guides: Rome (Eyewitness Travel Top 10) (Paperback)

by DK Publishing

or

Top 10 Guide to Rome (Top 10 Travel Guides (Internationalists)) (Paperback)

by Sharri Whiting

or something entirely different from either of these???

Thanks!

Archived