Cruising in the midst of Hurricane season

newcruiser1951

We are going on our 1st cruise - to the Eastern Caribbean - the 1st week in October and our travel agent is trying to talk us out of it. This is the only time we can go. Anyone experienced in crusing during Hurricane Season? Our ports are St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Princess Cay.

Officially hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30.

However, they have started as early as March/April and this year the last tropicl storm ended in January.

So if you really want to play the odds and not run the chance of running into a tropical storm or hurricane in the Caribbean than that leaves only the month of Febuary as a safe month in which to sail.:D

We've cruised 10 times....7 of those 10 were Caribbean cruises in October. We've had to redirect ports a few times (not very many) and were once sent to the Eastern Caribbean when we had planned on the Western Caribbean. We have never experienced what we would consider a major issue. If you're flexible about the ports, October is a fine time to cruise.

As long as you remain flexible and keep a good attitude you will be fine. It's true, as others have said, more people travel, vacation, cruise durring hurricane season than any other time of the year.

I cruised two years ago right into Ivan. We did have to divert the itinerary and did not get to two out of three ports but these were replaced with others. We called it cruising with ivan, aka, the mystery tour!

We did have some rough seas, they tell me at one point it was 80' but there was only one time at night the roll woke me up once - our cabin is right over the stern of the ship, when we slapped down into the water.

I took my bonine, wore my sea bands, and I was fine. Others were not but I don't know if they took any precautions.

We had a lovely time. Booked the same ship the same week the next year.

And then the hurricanes hit LA and Mexico and our cruise was shortened to a 3 night. We took the option to move our cruise into the first week of Dec instead.

Though the water temps were a bit cooler, it was a lovely trip with great snorkeling. We got to our ports, caught some sun, had a few laughs.. had a marvelous time.

Next fall we're doing the Hawaiian islands rt out of CA so most probably, I'll be missing all the fall excitement of the Caribbean.

If you are not at all flexible and are choosing this cruise because of the ports it goes to, then your TA is right and you are better off not cruising at that time.

If you will be happy as long as you eventually get on the ship and get to cruise somewhere in the Caribbean, this is a great time to cruise.

We were diverted in 2004 from a Western to an Eastern due to Ivan in the gulf. We arrived in St. Maarten and had to leave 1 hour early due to Jeanne coming up from the south. Missed St. Thomas (Jeanne again) and ended up in Nassau. We had mostly sea days! Cruise was a blast! Calm seas-great food-wonderful company! We were never sure where we were going or might end up:confused: Just be flexible. The captain will keep you safe and if you do change itineraries, you'll have stories to tell to folks back home. If you look at it as a wonderful, relaxing time with the people you love then you are gonna have an excellent adventure.....even if you don't know Ted;)

When we sailed there were three couples that planned island weddings - big mistake. It's one thing to be flexible and book in Sept and Oct, quite another to plan a wedding. Needless to say, NONE of the destination weddings occured. One got married on the ship, one was going to get married when they got home and the third couple postponed. All three were on the love and marriage show. Based upon the answers of that third couple, it was a good thing there was divine intervention! LOL!

Archived