Cape Breton Miners Museum

mr. godfredo

We are sailing on the Celebrity Summit for the Independence Day Canada/New England Cruise and had a question about possibly visiting the Cape Breton Miners Museum. Can can we get there from Sydney? If so how far is it and how much is it? Any insight is appreciated! 

You certainly can - a rental car will be by far the most convenient way to visit, so pricing on that is going to have a wide range depending how many others have already booked and how many cars remain available.

By car we visited both the mine and Louisbourg fortress in the same day (~2 hours drive time) - they are both big sites, worthy of at least 2-3 hours on site, but as long as you have a reasonable length of time in port you should be able to squeeze them both in if you grab a quick lunch. If the fortress doesn't interest you, public buses can be used to get to the mine - with a bit of a walk - but it takes about three times as long as driving (~90mins vs 30mins)... Google has the relevant transit info, and pricing for tickets (and hours of operation) are on the websites for the attractions: Mine, Fortress.

NB: that Louisbourg is seasonal - they don't close, but they do reduce the amount of entertainment on site outside of summer peak season, and since cruises tend to be in Fall this is often the 'shoulder' season with fewer costumed interpreters and the like.