Quick Review on Dawn-Florida/Bahamas May 25, 2019

Manbo

Background: My wife and I are Platinum, our daughter and family joined us along with 2 grandkids, ages 7 & 4. The first cruise for them. 

Ship grade-B+.

We found the newly refurbished Dawn very clean and well maintained. In fact, the cleanest ship we have ever cruised.

We never felt overcrowded even though the cruise was sold out.  Plenty of seating at the pool and entertainment venues. Very different from our recent experience on the Epic in January.

The mattresses and pillows were very comfortable.

Our only negative was the kids pool/play area needs some supervision. Kids coming down the slides and crashing into each other at the bottom is common and many a little kid was crying.  We watched a little kid throw-up all over his father in the middle pool and then get washed off right in the pool!  It was pretty crazy. If your kids aren’t tough, I would stay away. We never returned after the first visit. But our kids had fun at the pool with us.

Food-B

We enjoyed the Venetian and Aqua main dining rooms as well as La Cucina, Cagney’s, Garden Cafe and Bamboo.

La Cucina was by far our favorite. I know that many will disagree, but the food was great and the service was the best on the ship! Loved Bamboo and main dining rooms.

Our food was great at Cagney’s, but the service was terrible. Over 2 hours for dinner.

We miss the pool side cooking and did get a little tired with the same old burgers and hotdogs at lunch. And the kid’s menu should have a few more options. Such as a pasta dish (besides Mac & Cheese), meatballs, etc.   

We didn’t use all of our specialty dining package because making a reservation before 9 PM is next to impossible once on board.  

Entertainment-A

The shows in the Stardust Theater were great!  We also really enjoyed Blue Moon, Azalea, V.I.P. band. Plus, we could always find a seat! The kids really loved Po (magician) and production shows. 

Staff- A+

A very friendly staff that did a great job! Big shout out to our server Irene at the pool! Luz was the Cruise Director and we really liked her. 

Embarkation & Debarkation-A

Both went much smoother than we experienced out of NYC in past cruises. No complaints. We got to the ship around 11 AM and were on board around 12:15.

No rush getting off, it took about 30 minutes total.

Overall Grade-A

Bottom line, we all had a great time! It confirmed that we prefer the smaller ships and we will be sailing on the Dawn again!

Welcome home  ... did you make it & tender to GSC, how was the island ... we missed going ashore twice in a row.  

It wasn't quite warm enough for our 1 and only sea day for most folks to take up residency on the pool deck & outdoors ... bring up a good point in that we missed the good pool-side lunch/afternoon BBQ in the old Dawn era, assorted burgers, hotdogs, ribs, sausages & pork chops.  

We tendered to GSK. It was beautiful! Plenty of lounge chairs. Clear water with good snorkeling! 

We were canceled on two previous cruises and very happy that we made it this time. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your review.  We will be on the Dawn June 22 - can't wait!  Was there an optional formal/dressy night & a White Hot Party?  If so, which evenings were they?  Been staging clothes for days & days.  Thx.

Thanks for your review.  Dawn is my favorite ship. Shame you couldn’t use all your SDP. 

Was there any problems getting into Bamboo?  We have a tradition to eat at the Asian restaurant on the last night of our cruises?  Could you make reservations?  

Thanks

9 hours ago, tpginger said:

Thanks for your review.  We will be on the Dawn June 22 - can't wait!  Was there an optional formal/dressy night & a White Hot Party?  If so, which evenings were they?  Been staging clothes for days & days.  Thx.

The white hot party has been replaced with the Glow Party. It was mid week. Wednesday or Thursday. 

I don't recall hearing about a formal night, but on the second night there were a few folks dressed up in suits. No tux or gowns that I saw.

9 hours ago, trex-de said:

Thanks for your review.  Dawn is my favorite ship. Shame you couldn’t use all your SDP. 

Was there any problems getting into Bamboo?  We have a tradition to eat at the Asian restaurant on the last night of our cruises?  Could you make reservations?  

Thanks

Yes, we made reservations for Bamboo but made them several days earlier. I suggest making your reservation as soon as you board! 

On 6/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, Manbo said:

Background: My wife and I are Platinum, our daughter and family joined us along with 2 grandkids, ages 7 & 4. The first cruise for them. 

Ship grade-B+.

We found the newly refurbished Dawn very clean and well maintained. In fact, the cleanest ship we have ever cruised.

We never felt overcrowded even though the cruise was sold out.  Plenty of seating at the pool and entertainment venues. Very different from our recent experience on the Epic in January.

The mattresses and pillows were very comfortable.

Our only negative was the kids pool/play area needs some supervision. Kids coming down the slides and crashing into each other at the bottom is common and many a little kid was crying.  We watched a little kid throw-up all over his father in the middle pool and then get washed off right in the pool!  It was pretty crazy. If your kids aren’t tough, I would stay away. We never returned after the first visit. But our kids had fun at the pool with us.

Food-B

We enjoyed the Venetian and Aqua main dining rooms as well as La Cucina, Cagney’s, Garden Cafe and Bamboo.

La Cucina was by far our favorite. I know that many will disagree, but the food was great and the service was the best on the ship! Loved Bamboo and main dining rooms.

Our food was great at Cagney’s, but the service was terrible. Over 2 hours for dinner.

We miss the pool side cooking and did get a little tired with the same old burgers and hotdogs at lunch. And the kid’s menu should have a few more options. Such as a pasta dish (besides Mac & Cheese), meatballs, etc.   

We didn’t use all of our specialty dining package because making a reservation before 9 PM is next to impossible once on board.  

Entertainment-A

The shows in the Stardust Theater were great!  We also really enjoyed Blue Moon, Azalea, V.I.P. band. Plus, we could always find a seat! The kids really loved Po (magician) and production shows. 

Staff- A+

A very friendly staff that did a great job! Big shout out to our server Irene at the pool! Luz was the Cruise Director and we really liked her. 

Embarkation & Debarkation-A

Both went much smoother than we experienced out of NYC in past cruises. No complaints. We got to the ship around 11 AM and were on board around 12:15.

No rush getting off, it took about 30 minutes total.

Overall Grade-A

Bottom line, we all had a great time! It confirmed that we prefer the smaller ships and we will be sailing on the Dawn again!

pretty much our feeling about the Dawn. Our favorite part was the crew. We have cruised 3 times since her dry dock. And yes, the hamburgers and hot dogs by the pool did get very tired. We hoped for a little more variety. As for La Cucina, it was our least favorite dinner place We may have hit a bad night but the server wasn't all that pleasant and the with the exception of what my husband had was barely up to par. Our favorite was Modernos.