Sea Lice ????

hsc

Sea lice????

Have been on 9 cruises and have never heard of it nor been exposed (I don't think).

Anyone experienced this??

If so, is there anything over to counter to prevent it??

Ecstasy,E.Caribbean Oct.1993

Holiday,W.Caribbean Jan. 1995

Festivale, S.Caribbean Feb.1996

Sov. of the Seas, Bahamas Jan.1998

Ecstasy, Bahamas Mar. 2000

Victory, Canada, Jun. 2001

Sensation, W. Caribbean, Jun.2002

Paradise, E. Caribbean, Apr. 2003

Triumph, E. Caribbean, Apr. 2004

ships23image1_th.gif

Ship.gif

From what I have heard you can only get it during certain times of the year. I might be wrong...but my inlaws are in FLA and when we visit my motherin law says they have news reports on when it shows up in the water. They test the waters often. The only time we have ever experienced it was when we visited about 12 years ago we went with friends and their daughter came home from our two week visit itching and a rash on her neck. When taken to the doc he said that is what it was but none of us (there wer 12 of us) contacted it. She was the only one. So as far as I know it really depends on the season.

UNTIL WE SAIL AGAIN.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2005;5;8;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

"Sea Lice" is what they call the rash you get from the sting of larval jellyfish.

Like many sea invertibrates they are too small to really see when they are that small.

I have no idea what conditions causes jellyfish to spawn, but I'm sure it's seasonal like weswas said.

They supposedly only sting when crushed though so they tend to do it most when trapped under your swimsuit.

BigDave

My first cruise: Enchantment, Eastern Caribbean - 10/13/2002

My second cruise: Rhapsody, Western Caribbean - 4/4/2004

My next cruise: Radiance, Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=229922&cdt=2005;2;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

There's another thread on these things a few pages back, I can't remember how many but there is some good info. Seems there is a certain time of year they show up. The whole thing just sorta creeps me out, tho. icon_eek.gif Chud

1054.gifcountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;10;16;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800  UNTIL SISTERS BOOZE CROOZE

SPIRIT 10/04

Sea Lice?...Never heard of them before, thanks BigDave now I know what they are. As they say you learn something new every day!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;4;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

til next cruise on Carnival Pride!

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com">

time98.gif</a>

<font face=arial size=1>In Hat Yai, Southern Thailand it is:</font>

<table border=1 cellpadding=4 bgcolor=FFFFBB><tr><td>

<a href="http://www.escati.com">

clock.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=221100&timezone=GMT+0800</a>

</td></tr></table>

</center>

Paradise 9/04

Carnival Pride 4/04

Carnival Ecstasy 12/03

Royal Caribbean Navigator2/03

Royal Caribbean Viking Serenade AKA "The Barge"11/01

Carnival Elation 2/00

Carnival Holiday 5/98

Carnival Holiday 11/95

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#008080">Here is a link to info on Sea Lice otherwise known as Sun Bathers

Eruption. http://www.lantana.org/sea.htm

</font>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

I think I'd be more worried about sea snakes than sea lice.

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the SINsational Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Sea lice don't "bite" persay, they just float into your swimsuit/web suit and irritate the skin. Rinsing off as soon as you come out of the water helps. A lot of dive boats or snorkel boats have a hose or makeshift shower you can do that with. They itch like crazy. But not life threatening or extremely painful. At least in my experience. You can't see them so you won't know until the rash and itching starts. Can't worry about all that stuff or you'd never have any fun! I'm paranoid over jelly fish, but as a diver and snorkeler, I just close my eyes and swim right through them (unless I can go around them of course). Never been bit YET. I'm sure my time will come. Just go out there and have a great time!

The OP of the sea lice thread said that she and her daughter DID rinse off after swimming in the ship's salt water pool. Afterwards, had to go to the infirmary where they were told that the cold water from the pool shower made the larvae "pop" and caused the irritation underneath their bathing suits. Also said that ship's medical was completely out of medication - hydrocortisone, I believe, because of all the people who had been in before them that day. I don't want to deal with something like that on vacation - so I bought some safe sea for myself and my mother. It's no different than buying anything else to prepare for your trip.

Sensation 5/15/2004

Because most of any irritation will be in areas covered with swim suits, the prevention is obvious!

As for sun tan lotions that contains some sort of prevention... you should never wear lotions in the sea anywhere close to a coral reef, such as Cozumel or the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan. The lotion that washes off of you harms to coral.

Carnival Carnivale -1988

Carnival Celebration - 2001

Carnival Celebration -June 2004

GOOD POINT, Kenster!

I have never read anyone posting that little tidbit, but everyone needs to know this. It sounds like most people are going snorkeling around reefs - except for me, this time.

Sensation 5/15/2004

Archived