Carnival vs Royal Caribbean - which would you choose?

Fishingshoes

Hi, I'm researching two cruiselines/ships for the same itinerary and was hoping I could get some help in making my final decision. I am going to do the Vancouver to Honolulu 12 day cruise and Carnival Spirit and Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas both offer the same itinerary. Which would you choose? We are married, no children, ages 34 & 37...very easy going, casual couple. Appreciate your suggestions!

Tina

I will be going on my first seven day cruise on RCI in December. I have only cruised twice with RCI and both were four day cruises on the Majesty OTS. I found that both cruise lines are very much close to each other overall. Each one has areas that they do better in over the other. In the end they are both about even. For me the decision would come down to itinerary and price. Both ships are about the same size with the SOTS being a little newer but not enough to make a difference. I would look around for photos of both ships and see which one gets your attention. I don't think that you can go wrong with either one.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Yep, Gordon's right. They end up being about equal, so go with the better price if everything else is pretty much equal. Enjoy!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Militant Breastfeeding & Homebirth Proponent-Sandra Carmichael

Mardi Gras 6/79

Mardi Gras 6/79

(back to back cruises)

Celebration 8/02

Splendour of the Seas 3/03

Jubilee 7/03

Conquest 1/04

Celebration 1/04

Elation 2/04

Elation *coming again* 1/05

I hae cruised on both lines, most recently Serenade of the Seas in December. Since Serenade is less than a year old, I'd vote for the newer ship, if the prices are comparable. The adults-only solarium is not to be missed!

michelle

I have recently been on ships of same class as both of them, and would be very pleased to be back on either. The Carnival ships are over the top in decor (think Vegas), but very well done. The RCCL ships are more subdued in their decor (I might say more sophisticated, but don't want to get flamed icon_wink.gif). Food and service are excellent on both, with a slight nod to Carnival on food, and to RCCL on service.

One thing we really love on the Spirit class ships is the gym area, with a hot tub under glass cover that is not frequented by kids. This is adjacent to a great arrangement for sauna and steam, including the most wonderful private shower rooms with ceiling "rain" (i.e., a very large head with many holes) shower heads and multiple shower heads on the side walls.

I would be going with the cheaper price.

Here is our web page for the Voyager

http://joephila.net/cruise/

which was 100pp cheaper then carnival

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

I would go Carnival all the way. My past 4 cruises have been with RCCL, and I am going back to Carnival. I must admit, RCCL has some very nice itineraries that I wish Carnival would someday offer, but when it comes to food, entertainment, & fun.......Carnival is the way to go!

Wishing Everyone Calm Seas & Smooth Sailing

Jeff-----aka---CruiseMaster

http://community.webshots.com/user/navigatoroftheseas

We've sailed both lines and enjoyed both very much. Seven months ago we were debating almost the same options as you are considering now. We decided to book the Carnival Spirit from Honolulu, simply because the dates worked perfectly for us. I would have been just as happy booking RCI. My comparisons between the lines would mirror Ted's.

Unless there are other factors of importance to you, I'd be inclined to agree with other posters who suggest that you book with whichever line gives you the best rate. FYI - we booked our own airfare, from Orlando to Honolulu, then from Vancouver to Orlando, for only $485 (much less than through Carnival). But then Carnival went and offered an amazing promotion including air...

Well Tina, I have traveled both of the cruise lines you are thinking about. Well by far I would choose Carnival. We truely liked the clubs and the chose of music better on Carnival. My husband, my sister her husband and I are between the ages of 39 to 52 and we all agreed that RCI's ships have too much stuff catered to the over 60 class of cruisers. On Carnival they had great live music, southern rock, 70's 80's and such.. Hope you have a GREAT time.... icon_smile.gif

Tropical (Carnival) 1995

Vision (RCI)Feb 2003

Conquest (Carnival) Sept 2003

Family trip on the Triumph in >>>> countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I was on the 8 day Southern rte. on the Spirit this past February. My best cruise yet based on itinerary, cabin size (my first balcony) and food. The food was very good. The different stations at lunch was unbelievalble. Even though the ship is nice, I have to say that it is very enclosed. There were no windows in the atrium. And, there was not much to do during the day ezcept lay by the pool. I'm 36 and was actually bored. There was no basketball court, no minature golf, no nothing. They had 1 or 2 ping pong tables but they were in this weird location were you didn't have enough room to play good. It looked liked they just found a place to squeeze them in. We did have the pool slide and that was fun.

You guys are in your 30's and I don't know if you're an active couple, but, the Serenade has the rock climbing wall, minature golf and an adults only solarium pool. Just more things to do besides sit by the pool. Plus, its a radiance ship were you'll feel like you're outside because of all the windows. I've been on the Majesty, Sovereign, Imagination, then the Spirit. There is a big differentce between Carnival & RCCL ships. We loved the Spirit, but if you want a more elegant ship I would definately go with the Serenade.

I don't know what the price difference is between the two lines for your sailing date but if price is the biggest issue, I'd go with the best rate.

If price is not an issue, I'd say for the Serenade. Why? Serenade is a sister ship to the Brilliance and I've been on the Brilliance. This class of ship is beautiful - lots of natural light. The Solarium is worth the trip on its own. The Solarium was my favorite place on the whole ship.

Kelly

My Cruise Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/kfrancis5

Cruise Critic Partae Pirates Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Carnival Miracle 02/13/05

Sovereign of the Seas, Cabin #4057 - 9/21/03

Brilliance of the Seas, Cabin #8670 - 11/09/2002

Paradise, Cabin E194 - 09/01/2001

Atlantic, 12/1991

Hi everyone, it's me Tina again who posted the question. We actually did sail on the Serenade before about 4-5 months ago so we have experienced it and loved the ship. My husband loved it so much that he wanted to sail it again, but I was thinking why don't we try another cruise line/ship to see what it's like. We've only been on two cruises before in our life so I was very curious as to what Carnival & the Carnival Spirit was like. Carnival's price is just a little better, not much though because I have a coupon for Royal Caribbean which would make the price pretty close. RC would be about $100 more. We would be sailing at the end of September so I'm sure there are less children at that time of year since school has started up again. I guess some of our deciding factors would be since there are approx. 5 days at sea we want the ship that offers the best entertainment during the day/night to keep us busy and of course the best food. We love to eat! What do you all think now???

Thanks again for everyone's help! I really, really appreciate your opinions!

Tina

If you've been on the Serenade, then I'd go on the Carnival Spirit. I know quite a few people who cruised on her last year and loved it. I've only cruised on Carnival once but I thought the food was better on Carnival than RCI.

Kelly

My Cruise Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/kfrancis5

Cruise Critic Partae Pirates Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Carnival Miracle 02/13/05

Sovereign of the Seas, Cabin #4057 - 9/21/03

Brilliance of the Seas, Cabin #8670 - 11/09/2002

Paradise, Cabin E194 - 09/01/2001

Atlantic, 12/1991

I have chosen both Carnival and RCI and wouldn't hesitate to do either. I do apree with previous posters and give the nod on food to Carnival and service to RCI. RCI is little more subdued, while Carnival is most often wide open. I don't think you could go wrong on either, but if economics is an issue, go with the less expensive.

Facation Fanatic

Fantasy - 6/02 Bahamas

Fantasy - 12/02 Bahamas

Victory - 9/03 NE/Canada

Sovereign of the Seas - 1/04 Bahamas

Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;4;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Carnival Glory to the Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

I'm taking my first Carnival cruise this Dec and look forward to the possibility of a RCL cruise next. I want to mix it up a bit to get a flavor of different ships and cruiselines.

Bud

Carnival Glory December 2004

Are you saying Carnival ships are low on seaside venues? I don't want a ship that you can get to a window on a public deck. I'm considering the Victory.

Summit April 2003

Splendor of the Seas March 2000

Galaxy March 1999

Disney Oceanic March 1989

I've been on both of the ships mentioned, and until I read the OP's second post, I would have said...

*Look not only at the itinerary itself, but also at port times. Especially for Hawaii, I would choose the ship that stays in each port longer*

BUT!

After reading the second post, the OP mentions food and activities. In THAT case, I would have to say Carnival wins. The food on the Spirit was SOOOO much better than Serenade, and daytime AND nighttime activities are probably a bit more *fun*...

Let us know if you make a decision!

Pam : )

Emerald Seas 6/20/83

Nordic Empress 6/93

Imagination 3/30/00

Ecstasy 9/4/00

Majesty of the Seas 10/27/00

Triumph 12/16/00

Radiance of the Seas

3/26/01 & 3/29/01

Crown Odyssey 6/24/01

Golden Princess 10/11/01

Spirit 11/11/01

Sensation GGC 1/13/02

Sovereign of the Seas 3/24/02

Imagination 5/18/02

Pride 11/2/02

Explorer of the Seas 3/29/03

Enchantment of the Seas 9/1/03

Serenade of the Seas 10/28/03

Grand Princess 11/16/03

check out my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/lunyma

You have five days at sea. I just came off the Spirit and if you pick this ship, you are going to be bored during the day. No outdoor activities, except a pingpong table and water slide. How much ping pong and going down the slide can a person do.

The serenade has more day activities, Rock Climbing Wall, Miniature Golf, Ping Pong, Movie Theatre, Basketball Court and the Solarium.

You said your husband loved the Serenade and I don't know if he's the type of guy who just likes to sit in a lounge chair all day, but, if he is an active person like my husband, he's in for a rude awakening when he gets on the Spirit. After your first two days at sea boredom will set in.

Thanks a million everyone for your help! I do appreciate it. We have booked the Carnival Spirit to give it a shot. We still have a couple months to change our mind so I still enjoy hearing people's opinions between the two ships. How are the games in the evening on the Spirit? We had a blast playing Quest on RCCL's Serenade. We also thought dinner at the specialty restaurant CHOPS was fantastic. We hope that Carnival's specialty restaurant is just as good! Do you have any tips for the Spirit to share?

Thanks again, Tina

Cruzenbabe, to answer your question, my hubby for the most part likes to be relaxed, but what we are looking for is to get involved with games that the ship hosts during the days at sea and activities such as touring the galley, watching people make fools of themselves etc.

When we were on the Serenade we never used the rock climbing wall, basketball court, or Solarium...but we were not at sea for 5 days either. Decisions, decisions!!!

I have to say the Supper Club on the Spirit was to die for.

That alone made our cruise. I had an African lobster it was about the size of a childs forearm, That big. My hubby had the porterhouse steak which covered his whole plate. We asked for the chef to come out and we gave him a standing ovation. The most unbelievable meal we ever had and the service was top notch.

If laying by the pool is your thing, you will not be disappointed. The spirit is a nice ship. Not too big and not too small.

As far as Quest, I was on a the 8 day Southern cruise and I didn't see it. I could have missed it though. They did have the love and marriage game. Which is always a hoot. We did the galley tour and the backstage tour. They also had arts & crafts every morning at sea days. We made book markers, sign & sail holders, a brouche and a sun visor. We had a balcony cabin on the 8th deck right under the buffet area. Very convenient to just walk up one flight and get food. The lunch buffet was unbelievable. The best we've had at sea. I have to say Carnival is giving RCCL a run for their money with these newer ships. You will have a good time.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Tina. The Spirit is a great ship and the specialty restaurant is to die for! Well worth the extra charge. Just go with a good attitude, and you'll have a great time!

Pam : )

Emerald Seas 6/20/83

Nordic Empress 6/93

Imagination 3/30/00

Ecstasy 9/4/00

Majesty of the Seas 10/27/00

Triumph 12/16/00

Radiance of the Seas

3/26/01 & 3/29/01

Crown Odyssey 6/24/01

Golden Princess 10/11/01

Spirit 11/11/01

Sensation GGC 1/13/02

Sovereign of the Seas 3/24/02

Imagination 5/18/02

Pride 11/2/02

Explorer of the Seas 3/29/03

Enchantment of the Seas 9/1/03

Serenade of the Seas 10/28/03

Grand Princess 11/16/03

check out my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/lunyma

Carnival doesn't have the Quest, but on our last Carnival cruise (Victory) they had a similar game called "What's in the Bag?". It was right before a show towards the end of the cruise and it was very funny to watch.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

One thing you didn't consider is the customer loyalty program. I am now a platinum crown & anchor member and this is what has helped me stay with RCI. On my upcoming AOS cruise, I received $100 shipboard credit for booking while on a cruise, $100 off the balcony stateroom (C & A perk) AND I just received a coupon for another $150 off!!

When I called Carnival for any past-guest offers on the upcoming Triumph cruise--there were NONE.

For now, my loyalties will be with RCI.

Inspiration 6/96, 12/01

Carnival Destiny 7/97, 11/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/98

Norwegian Sea 7/00

Norwegian Star 6/02

Paradise 11/02

Sovereign of the Seas 8/03

Serenade of the Seas 12/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until Carnival Triumph 8/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;21;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until Adventure of the Seas 11/04

Archived