Snorkeling - Smugglers Cove or Brewers Bay?

asiahej

Looking for recommendations re: best snorkeling location.  We'll be in Tortola for a day on NCL and have our own snorkeling equipment.  We love the beach but as long as we can get some beach loungers, shade, and a quick snack, we don't need much more.  We understand Smugglers Cove will be very rustic and it doesn't bother us at all.  But I can't find a lot of info comparing these two locations from the snorkeling perspective, especially after Irma.  Our main objective is to see great marine life.  Smugglers Cove is rated higher on Trip Advisor but I saw some old posts suggesting Brewers Bay has the best snorkeling on Tortola.  Any suggestions or tips on the cost of taxis and getting around are appreciated too. 

Thank you so much!

18 hours ago, asiahej said:

Looking for recommendations re: best snorkeling location.  We'll be in Tortola for a day on NCL and have our own snorkeling equipment.  We love the beach but as long as we can get some beach loungers, shade, and a quick snack, we don't need much more.  We understand Smugglers Cove will be very rustic and it doesn't bother us at all.  But I can't find a lot of info comparing these two locations from the snorkeling perspective, especially after Irma.  Our main objective is to see great marine life.  Smugglers Cove is rated higher on Trip Advisor but I saw some old posts suggesting Brewers Bay has the best snorkeling on Tortola.  Any suggestions or tips on the cost of taxis and getting around are appreciated too. 

Thank you so much!

We’re not avid snorkelers but more beach lovers who snorkel some, and we do not have any recent personal snorkeling experience with either. There was some earlier info on the after-Irma beach and underwater conditions of Smuggler’s, Long Bay, CGB and Brewers in the BVI forum on TTOL, and I would recommend searching threads there or posing that question for the most useful current feedback. There is a thread on beach and water conditions but it hasn’t been updated recently... Link to the BVI forum here..

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

I would also check on Marina Cay to see how the snorkeling and beach is there, and if Pusser’s has reopened.

As far as beaches, both are beautiful. Brewers is also a bit rustic with that old Caribbean feel, but you will see more of your fellow cruise mates there than at Smuggler’s because Brewers is the most recommended beach for snorkeling, and has lounges, restrooms, a bar, and now the restaurant has reopened. Smuggler’s, on the other hand, is more difficult to get to by taxi, has no lounges unless some of the old ones are there, and Nigel may or may not be serving drinks and food. But a gorgeous beach away from the crowds.

So unless you find info on TTOL that makes Smuggler’s sound more enticing, for a cruise stop Brewers May be your better choice...

Shared safari taxi to Brewers is ~$8pp each way for 2 ppl, to Smuggler’s ~$16pp. Private taxis should be the same fare but may charge more. For Smuggler’s you’d need a driver return for you, and in the event the driver did not return (highly unlikely) you would have to make the ~1 kilometer walk back to Long Bay or further to Sebastian’s to call a taxi. So I would consider renting a vehicle, and something with ground clearance would be best....

[EDIT] If you decide to drive to SC but cannot get confirmation on whether Nigel is there, stop at the French Deli & Gourmet Shop in Wickhams Cay II to grab excellent baguette subs and drinks. Their imported foods are delicious!

http://frenchdelibvi.com/

Edited by blue_water
French Deli