QM2, Tips and Gratuities

snowshovel

QM2, tips and gratuities

Right now focus seems to be on the alleged 1500 passengers that have withdrawn from the ships automatic tipping system. I’ve been on a number of ships that offer automatic tipping charges on the cabin bill and found it quite handy. These days, it’s done routinely unless one stops it. Most likely, the 1500 withdrew for the same reason, the Fort Lauderdale Fiasco. No one knows what will happen next, but at this point, it’s my bet the passengers that withdrew are not of one mind. Tipping is a personal matter. In this case though, it has become quite the opposite, very public. If anyone who withdrew, or anyone else, would like to share their personal, firsthand feelings on this subject, please reply.

I, personally think that anyone removing gratuities for this reason should be ashamed of themselves.

While I'm sure this holiday has been horrid, it is not the fault of the person cleaning up after you and the people serving your food.

They will find little public support for this type of action.

Absolutely.

I've read from the NCL cruiseline (I know, not related) that passengers who take auto tips off their account typically do not tip anyone. They have actually kept an eye on some of them to see if they do, and they don't.

Do you think these people will be forthcoming in tipping the people who have been serving them? They are angry and it sounds like the only protest they can get immediate satisfaction from. I do hope they have a change of heart and realize just who they will be hurting.

If any passenger would hold back tips for the crew that works so damn hard for all of us to have a pampered trip.....Quite frankly...You need therapy. If you could possibly blame your misery on these hard working men and women, well you should be ashamed of your high and mighty self!!!

Anybody that woud get any satisfaction in doing this was just looking for a reason to be a selfish cheap--- pitiful, shamless jerk!!! Shame on you.....I hope that this could reach at least one person that realizes they don't want to be THAT person and changes their mind. Cindy

Absolutely.

I've read from the NCL cruiseline (I know, not related) that passengers who take auto tips off their account typically do not tip anyone. They have actually kept an eye on some of them to see if they do, and they don't.

Do you think these people will be forthcoming in tipping the people who have been serving them? They are angry and it sounds like the only protest they can get immediate satisfaction from. I do hope they have a change of heart and realize just who they will be hurting.

This was reported by NCL's CEO. They found that more than 50% of the people who took the suggested automatic tip off to leave it in cash didn't leave it at all. NCL has made it mandatory-sort of including it in the fare. NCL will adjust it if you have a specific verifyiable complaint that they could not correct otherwise you pay it. Its ok with me. Most of the time I leave extra.

We sailed on the QM2 in December and there is no way I could stiff the crew if we didn't make our ports. I have never had better service than on this ship. I think we were more impressed with the service than on the ship itself. Even staff members walking through the halls offered assistance upon seeing two bewildered females trying to get to their destination. The service was exemplary.

We sailed on the QM2 in December and there is no way I could stiff the crew if we didn't make our ports. I have never had better service than on this ship. I think we were more impressed with the service than on the ship itself. Even staff members walking through the halls offered assistance upon seeing two bewildered females trying to get to their destination. The service was exemplary.

Hi, we missed you at our second CC meeting on the QM2! Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We agree with you! The service was quite remarkable! Would you like me to email photos of our group to you? You're in one of the photos!

One of the problems with the auto tips is that some passengers doubt that all the amounts collected are distributed to the staff. This is the reason that the disgrutled passengers on QM2 at this time have removed them from their account. They think that Cunard is taking a cut and are reluctant to pay any extras, some of which will end up in their pockets, when they think that they have been short changed re compensation.

Cunard could very easily state on the booking form and in the daily programme that 100% of the collected gratuities are distributed to the staff.

It is a crazy world where a company can pay very small wages to an employee, and rely on its customers to give them a decent living. Tips included in the price. What's so difficult about that?

David.

Good morning. Here’s another unrelated tipping story. It was back before they put Leona in prison. We were at afternoon tea at the Helmsley Palace on east 42nd street in Manhattan. We’re not talking Fawlty Towers here. Leona really knew how to take it over-the-top. The room had, guessing, 30 foot high ceilings and was done in stunning gold leaf gilt. The harpist added something extra special too. This place was first class.

Then it happened. We were munching down a second helping of sardine sandwiches. I couldn’t believe it. Two tables over, a waiter fast-pitched a handful of sandwiches into the face of a complaining woman and stomped out. I quickly set my cup down, leaned toward my wife and said, “I wouldn’t tip that guy.” She grabbed her napkin, wiped a crumb off my face and said, “What about his helper?” For a few seconds I went into a catatonic, eyes-crossed, mouth-hanging-open condition. What about the helper?

Not sure if I posted this story or not. On one of the companies that hires the workers and their pay/costs.

I'm starting to feel guilty for being a passenger with all I read last night on this subject. OTOH, After feeling this way on my first port stop ever (Dominican Republic on the Cunard Crown Jewel) a number of years ago, I finally made peace with the fact that their lives are better off with us than without us, no matter how much the difference between my life and theirs.

http://www.chron.com/content/interactive/special/maritime/96/09/29/crews.html

Karie

This was reported by NCL's CEO. They found that more than 50% of the people who took the suggested automatic tip off to leave it in cash didn't leave it at all. NCL has made it mandatory-sort of including it in the fare. NCL will adjust it if you have a specific verifyiable complaint that they could not correct otherwise you pay it. Its ok with me. Most of the time I leave extra.

This wasn’t a study of passengers responding to a major onboard issue and doesn’t apply to the QM2 situation. Also, NCL found that 95% of their passengers usually tip. Reference part of a report (http://www.cruisenews.biz/ncl.htm) on NCL by Arline Bleecker, Orlando Sentinel. “So why is Norwegian spearheading this fundamental change? According to Susan Robison, Norwegian's director of public relations, the line has "to make sure that crew are well paid."

Apparently, "95 percent of our passengers (already) pay this service charge and welcome the convenience," Robison notes in an e-mail. "For these passengers, there will be no difference in the economics of their cruise. On the other hand, 5 percent of passengers do not pay the service charge today." Robison says these passengers either would prefer to tip the crew in cash, have found service unacceptable or don't want to tip at all.”

Hi, we missed you at our second CC meeting on the QM2! Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We agree with you! The service was quite remarkable! Would you like me to email photos of our group to you? You're in one of the photos!

What a surprise! After we returned, I e-mailed Mustang and apologized for not responding. Our desk was so full of stuff that it wasn't until 10pm Monday that I saw the flashing light with the message about the meetng. I was bummed because I kept looking at the daily paper to find some message about getting together. I really wanted to! Did I give you my e-mail address at our first meeting? If not, I guess I'll have to give it here for the whole world to see. Mustang sent me a nice e-mail back telling me about the martini class. Bummer #2. I really had nothing important to do at that time either. Thanks for posting.

What a surprise! After we returned, I e-mailed Mustang and apologized for not responding. Our desk was so full of stuff that it wasn't until 10pm Monday that I saw the flashing light with the message about the meetng. I was bummed because I kept looking at the daily paper to find some message about getting together. I really wanted to! Did I give you my e-mail address at our first meeting? If not, I guess I'll have to give it here for the whole world to see. Mustang sent me a nice e-mail back telling me about the martini class. Bummer #2. I really had nothing important to do at that time either. Thanks for posting.

Here's my email address: cwshops-qm2@yahoo.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Although we have not YET sailed on Cunard, we have sailed extensively on HAL and Celebrity. Both have the "add tips to the bill" policy. My husband didn't feel comfortable doing that since he wanted to make sure that those who served us got the tips that they deserved, not something that went into a pool. I'm sure that there are alot of waiters who are very good, but when ours is exceptiional (to us) we want to reward him (or her) and not have them participate in a pool. So we opt out of the bill added tipping and usually give them more, in an old fashioned envelope, personally handing it to them.

That makes us feel better, and they actually seem to appreciate it more. Much more personal. Who knows, with the cruising industry the way it is today, the same person may serve us on another ship.

Actually, David, I've SEEN people tip the servers and such in the Lido's. Usually it's the last lunch or breakfast on the last day. They work just as hard (some harder). Often, though, we have found our waitstaff from the dining room working the Lido and they run all over trying to help us. (At least they did on Infinity last May.)

> I wonder how many people who dine in the Lido for breakfast and lunch give tips there?

One day our waiter told us that she would not be with us the following day. She would be working in the Lido. She reassured us that we would still be looked after in the restaurant so we did not join her in the Lido. I assume waiters from the Mauritania to the Queens Grill take turns in the Lido. Consequently if we tip our restaurant waiter we are tipping the Lido waiter too.

Personally I treat the automatic tip as part of the cruise cost and tip additionally in person. I guess that works well for the crew as they get paid twice.

Being from the UK I find the whole tip ritual difficult and uncomfortable.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Although we have not YET sailed on Cunard, we have sailed extensively on HAL and Celebrity. Both have the "add tips to the bill" policy. My husband didn't feel comfortable doing that since he wanted to make sure that those who served us got the tips that they deserved, not something that went into a pool. I'm sure that there are alot of waiters who are very good, but when ours is exceptiional (to us) we want to reward him (or her) and not have them participate in a pool. So we opt out of the bill added tipping and usually give them more, in an old fashioned envelope, personally handing it to them.

That makes us feel better, and they actually seem to appreciate it more. Much more personal. Who knows, with the cruising industry the way it is today, the same person may serve us on another ship.

Alfiemom,

As previously posted here. Our waiter this last cruise told us if people take automatic tips off and hand them an envelope, they have to hand them in and they go into the pool. If you leave the tip on your account, and give extra to your waiter, he or she gests to keep the extra. I have also heard that on other lines.

Maybe you could ask the Maitre D or Purser, or even your waiter before youdo that in the future. These changes are constantly evolving.

Also. your question about dress for the crossing. Most here have posted that it actually is a higher standard of dress with 4 of the 6 days being formal. I guess since all days are at sea, you have plenty of time to dress for dinner! Of course, you can always take room service in your room, and yes, I believe you can always eat in the Lido (called King's Court on the QM2) I have learned how to buy nice looking flats and no heel dressy sandals, plus knee high stockings (though they still shred my feet) I have medical problems and haven't worn stockings or heels for years- Only on cruises and only for a few hours at a time. I end up crippled and can't walk at all or even stand if I wear them for too long! Fortunately, my "Significant Other" gives a great foot rub! He's very understanding. We've been together 17 or 18 years. He's seen me through nearly dying, with all of the awful stuff that went with it (even helped intubate me at the hospital) so what's a little sore feet! He's dynamite.

So I sympathize on the high heels. Maybe a couple of nice pantsuits with flats.

Karie

Thanks, Karie. That interesting to know. We did ask on HAL when they first instituted the policy and was told that your specific waiter and steward got the money from the account. Then we were told that it went into a pool. Then we were told something else. Last cruise on Celebrity we left it on and handed them additional. I guess there are pros and cons to it going on your bill.

Thanks, too for the info on dress. I guess we can hack 4 formal nights. I have sparkly, package knits that have different jackets. Now if someone can answer the weather on an April TA question, I'll be set.

Karie, if I'm being too personal, please ignore this. Are both stockings and hose damaging to you? Or is it the shoes? Do trouser socks to the same thing? Have you been able to find a comfortable shoe that you can wear without hose? Again, I'm not trying to be rude. Costuming and historical dress are my hobby, and I'm just curious.

Karie, if I'm being too personal, please ignore this. Are both stockings and hose damaging to you? Or is it the shoes? Do trouser socks to the same thing? Have you been able to find a comfortable shoe that you can wear without hose? Again, I'm not trying to be rude. Costuming and historical dress are my hobby, and I'm just curious.

<LOL>

You are talking to the girl who reported her bras being stolen on this board. (no, I mean I reported it here, not that they were stolen on the board! ) No offense taken. The main things in life which offend me are bigotry, intolerence and rudeness., none of which you have engaged in! No harm done!

So where were you when I was researching what to put together for my pirate costume? I did try to be as authentic as possible, even spoke to some ren faire folks for suggestions, and went to quite a few historical websites. (Turns out one of the best sites on pirates was written by a friend of mine! Who knew?!)

For some reason, stockings just make me feel like I am wearing sand paper. I have had problems with my feet that required me to use prescription creams daily. I am also a VERY big girl. so all of this weight bearing down on my poor little (okay mammoth Size 9W) feet doesn't help. But I had problems even when I wasn't this big. Stockings (well, pantyhose) are not really very healthy clothing- Think plastic! Your body (all of its parts) needs to breathe. Imagine wearing a plastic Mack! (Did I spell that right, Brits or is it Mac?) all the time. It would be uncomfortable and would not allow your skin to breathe. Now imagine wearing one which is tight to your skin and textured, so the little weave presses into your tender skin! That's about how I feel about stockings. And that is how they make me feel! I do better with trouser socks. I try to wear socks with as high cotton content as possible. I am not a fanatic for natural fabrics. I just feel better in natural breathable fabrics. Shoes- I have gotten out of the habit of wearing heels, hence I can't wear them too long. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find women's dressy shoes which are wide enough in the toe not to pinch your toes unnaturally, and flat enough so as to not have you forcing your weight onto a relatively small area. When you weigh a lot, like I do, and have an uneven distribution of weight (so you already tend to be thrown off-balance) it is even more difficult. Funny thing, I used to be able to run in three inch heels! I once danced in a play the night I had surgery on both feet that morning! (Okay, so I was a little dumb when I was younger. Actaully, that part hasn't changed! <G>) To add insult to injury (sort of! <G>) I am now diabetic, so I have to be extra careful. Foot problems are endemic to diabetes patients. I am in early stages, and try to keep my sugar under control- I scared my nurse-tablemate when I ate desserts most nights (Which I don't usually do) on the QM2. But I check my sugar religiously, and on the ship, I tend to be lower, as I am getting more exercise and less stress! <LOL> Since I am drinking (moderately) on the cruise, that also tends to lower blood sugar. Plus I did manage to lose 20 pounds before we went, and have managed to keep it off. It is difficult. Truthfully, sugars don't seem to affect me that much. The real surprise for me was starches! Rice will send my blood sugar through the roof! I had to cut way back on rice, potatoes and pasta. Atkins was right! I don't totally understand it, but my endocrinologist confirms it! Many courses of prednisone over the years (treating two OTHER conditions) have damaged the metabolism, and also create other problems too myriad to mention. Slow healing is one of them. When I have had to be on my feet too much, I reach a point where I cannot even stand. I have to rest them, massage them or soak them for a while before I can even stand on them. Hey! consider me a standing version of the Princess and the Pea! Lately I have had a problem with my left leg going numb above the knee if I stand for long. My Doctors don't seem to be too concerned, but I sure as heck am!

Well, I hope I haven't grossed anyone out! (you can b/c me if you'd like to further the discussion, so as not to freak out others with my medical issues! parrothead-av8r@mindspring.com)

However, I would LOVE to hear more about your hobby! You could make actual period costumes for your crossiings and cruises! I assume you specialize in a particular period and geographical area? Or is it more theatre related, so you make what is appropriate to the piece? I'll bet you could take the prize at the Pirate Ball! Maybe the Ascot ball too if you do hats! I brought materials (and plain hats) to make a top notch hat, but alas, we did not have an Ascot ball :-( But, heck- I'm ready for the next one!

I'm open to any suggestions you might have in regard to finding decent shoes/stockings that I can still look somewhat elegant in. Ahhh. the things we do, the sacrifices we women make for beauty! And men think THEY are the "Stronger sex!" remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Estaire did, Backwards, In High Heels!

Karie,

tiptoeing out after making a fool of herself once more! <G>

Karie,

I have been to lectures on what real pirates wore, but I think the theatrical stuff would go ever better. :p

With diabetes, you must be vigilant about caring for your feet! Have you tried real silk stocking? I'm not talking about hose; I mean actual stockings that you have to attach to a garter belt. Of course, you may not want to go to all that trouble! And it is never as easy finding things in larger sizes, unfortunately.

I'm with you on the shoes. I'm worried about our upcoming trip, because most of the evening outfits I have planned call for heels. I usually clog around in Dansko's all the time. And it's really hard to find heels that don't pinch somewhere.

Back to the diabetes subject, I'm sure you know this, but stay away from white potatoes! They're just big bombs of sugar. Hopefully, you're able to get whole wheat pastas, brown rice and sweet potatoes, if nothing else, then on special occassions. I love carbs so much!

And on to costumes. I make costumes from 1840-1950 and fantasy (Star Wars, etc.). I am planning a couple of outfits from my time periods for the cruise: I just finished sewing a 1950's sundress. I'm planning to wear a late 20's college girl outfit and a 40's suit. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I'm able to finish my 1934 evening gown in time! I just wish I had more time for sewing. I'd probably wear historical things all the time. LOL! My costumes are really just for fun.

I actually won't have anything for the pirate or ascot or masq nights. :o By the time I learned that they existed, my schedule was already filled to the brim with "things to get done."

I better stop rambling!

Archived