Visiting Iceland on Viking Sun

cfgrandma

My husband and I are looking for a cruise to Iceland. I saw a notice for an "EXPLORERS' SALE" that is going on until June 30th.  

We have many cruises on other lines but have not tried any on Viking yet.  For those of you who cruise with Viking is the Explorer's Sale a good offer or should I start watching for other sales.  We really like the small ships (1000 passengers or less) so we are looking at lines with smaller ships. We are looking to cruise Iceland in July of 2021.  The cruise I have looked at so far is the Iceland's Majestic Landscape on July 17, 2021 Reykjavík to Bergen.  We have been to some of the Norway ports so the highlights will be Iceland.  Has anyone done this cruise and can give me some tips?

Thank you for the input.

Carolyn

Sacramento, CA

54 minutes ago, cfgrandma said:

My husband and I are looking for a cruise to Iceland. I saw a notice for an "EXPLORERS' SALE" that is going on until June 30th.  

We have many cruises on other lines but have not tried any on Viking yet.  For those of you who cruise with Viking is the Explorer's Sale a good offer or should I start watching for other sales.  We really like the small ships (1000 passengers or less) so we are looking at lines with smaller ships. We are looking to cruise Iceland in July of 2021.  The cruise I have looked at so far is the Iceland's Majestic Landscape on July 17, 2021 Reykjavík to Bergen.  We have been to some of the Norway ports so the highlights will be Iceland.  Has anyone done this cruise and can give me some tips?

Thank you for the input.

Carolyn

Sacramento, CA

You should scan down the list for this forum because there are actually a number of currently active threads for Iceland. Hello from Bergen is a day by day review from the first sailing of the season. June 8 roll call is also helpful as they are on board now and are posting comments to the roll.

June 8,2019 Iceland's Majestic Landscapes June 8,2019

As for the sales. They change every month with no information available as to what the next one will be until it is announced on the first of the month. It could be better and it could be worse. There is no way of telling. Just keep in mind that Viking cruises are popular and sell out quickly.

Do read the fine print. Very important. Viking has its own way of doing things.

If you have a friend who has sailed with Viking in the past, ask them for their referral number; it will get you a couple of hundred off the cruise fare (see Referral offers).

Work with a TA and find out what additional perks they are will to offer you in addition to what Viking is offering. (No TA referrals allowed on CC).

Edited by Peregrina651

Thank so very much.  I will keep reading and will follow along with the current cruise.  We have a TA that we have used for a number of years so I will check in with her.  Also, thank you for the heads up on reading the fine print.

Carolyn

Cfgrandma

i am on the current sailing June 8 Iceland majestic landscape and I would definitely recommend Viking for this sailing . You can read my comments on the link peregrina provided. Based on my research for our trip , Vikings itinerary covered more ports than any other cruise line. The only disappointment for me is some of the food (but I have yet to go to Chefs table or Manfredis) but based on some of the other travelers responses , they have enjoyed the food. I can say the hamburgers at the pool grill are the best I have had  compared to  Oceania and Silverseas. Essentially food is subjective.

ill try to post more when I can, but so far very pleased with the cruise and would recommend Viking ocean to take you to Iceland 

6 hours ago, bobolz said:

Cfgrandma

i am on the current sailing June 8 Iceland majestic landscape and I would definitely recommend Viking for this sailing . You can read my comments on the link peregrina provided.

Boboloz, I've been following your posts because I have been following your roll call but what I really wish is that you would do a "live" thread in this forum, where more people will see it.

Thanks peregrina , I realized after I wrote my review,  that I wanted to do what you suggest,  but didn’t  want to rewrite and tried to copy and paste what I posted, but I only had the option to quote( the edit disappeared) but  did not know how to transfer to this forum. Do you know how? I’ll try again and start postin here. Thanks

1 hour ago, bobolz said:

Thanks peregrina , I realized after I wrote my review,  that I wanted to do what you suggest,  but didn’t  want to rewrite and tried to copy and paste what I posted, but I only had the option to quote( the edit disappeared) but  did not know how to transfer to this forum. Do you know how? I’ll try again and start postin here. Thanks

Don't post here; start a separate thread/topic. It will get buried here. Call it some thing like Live from June 8 Iceland's Majestic Landscapes.

How to start a new thread: click this link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

then look for the button at the top of the page that says START NEW TOPIC. The link will put you into the Viking Ocean forum, which is where you want to be posting.

Start with today's news. Don't worry about the old stuff. I'm at a desktop and can easily post links to the older posts on the roll call, or even with your permission, copy them into the new thread --and without taking time from my glorious vacation adventure to do so.