Sony RX100 VI - water protection

Hi All,

After reading a few posts on this board and doing some external research, i bit the bullet and purchased the Sony RX100 VI. It should be arriving today! Yay - super excited.

We are leaving on a cruise shortly and would like to take my camera on some of the water excursions i have planned. We will be on catamarans and on beaches. What is the best way to protect my camera without purchasing an under water housing? Is that my only option? I found one for $400 but it seems overkill as i don't plan on taking it underwater.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Best,

Mary

Suggest you look into a "dry bag." It is basically a bag made from heavy plastic with a roll-up and closable top for maritime use. It is not for submersion. They are available on Amazon in a wide variety of sizes. 

Plastic bag when not in use. A spritz of fresh water will almost never damage a camera. Unfortunately, salt water is much more dangerous to the camera. Don’t put it down in the sand, don’t hold it in a way where it will get soaked with salt water. But you also don’t have to panic about the possibility of a drop of water getting on it. 

Thanks for replies! I should have stated that I want to take pics while I am in the water but not under the water 🙂.  Scared i am going to drop it. It seems like my only options are the clear dry bags that are made to go underwater or the underwater housings.

Camera came and am kinda bummed. It appears that I received a used/open boxed/display camera. See photos. This is fresh out of the box.  For the box tab to be so worn I imagine it’s bee opened and closed a few times.  What do you guys think??  Purchased from Abe’s of Maine. 

7445DB6C-9345-402E-A925-34AC71714B23.jpeg

188E1D10-F44C-4B00-A717-107348AB7A7E.jpeg

I do not know this to be true in your case, but I have found in the past that Abes of Maine was often selling gray goods. Gray goods are real product, but not intended to be imported in the US market. In other words, they are goods that are not authorized to be sold in the US. Although you can sometimes get a good deal on gray goods, you should be aware that the manufacturer will not typically honor any warranty claims. In fact, in many cases, the manufacturer will not repair a defective product, even if you offer to pay for you. 

Again, I do not know that this is true in your case. I do know that I looked into Abes in the past for Nikon products that they were offering to sell, and they were not an authorized Nikon dealer. 

Your choice to purchase gray goods depends on how good a deal you are getting, and your level of comfort with purchasing goods for which the manufacturer may not repair under warranty.