Alaska Denali Explorer Extension

czst17

I know this is Vikings first year in Alaska and there have been good and bad.  We leave next Thursday for the Denali Explorer Extension and I haven't found

much info from folks who have been on the extension.  Anyone out there who has done this I'd love to hear your experience.

Thanks, Kathie

We just returned from this Alaskan cruise with the Denali extension.  The tour guide & bus driver were awesome & we lucked into fantastic weather.  Everything about the excursions was as described on the website.   The one major negative about the extension was our rooms at Denali Park Village.  Our rooms looked NOTHING like the room featured on Viking's website.  I would compare it to a Motel 6.  We have stayed in National Parks before, so we knew it wouldn't be like the cruise ship, but it was worse than we'd experienced in the National Parks.  No air conditioning (which didn't surprise us too much) but a ceiling fan would have been nice.  I would expect this to be really problematic later in the summer.  The room wasn't much bigger than our Deluxe Veranda room on the Orion.     Paper thin walls - I could hear coughing in the next room.  Each room had 2 double beds, so all couples had to sleep separately to get a decent night's sleep. The people who were on the 2nd floor said the stairway was absolutely filthy.  When we arrived in Anchorage on the train (which was amazing)  we stayed at the Hilton.  The location was great and the rooms were much better, but we still had 2 double beds.  We noted all this on the survey after the extension, so maybe your experience will be better.

• Haha 1