Walk up Vesuvius Alone?

DCLCrazy

Hi,

My husband saw that we can drive up Mt. Vesuvius and then walk the last 300 meters or so.  I would like to join him, but don’t want to have to keep up with a group and a woman holding a sign up.  Is this excursion possible if we rented a car and did it on our own?  has anyone done this without a tour group?  TIA!

The first time I went up the Grand Cone trail I was alone.  There's no need for a tour or a group unless you are seriously into volcanos and want a volcanologist to go with you.  There are park rangers on the trail who can answer questions.

There is limited parking available but if this is the only reason you would rent a car, just use the local train and the Vesuvio Express service, or pay for a taxi (probably about the same amount of money as renting a car and much easier).  Naples has a fairly robust fixed fare taxi system, the fare for a round trip from Naples to Vesuvio and back, with two hours of waiting time at the volcano (more than enough time) is 100 euro.

The walk from the end of the road/parking lot to the furthest part of the rim is 1.7k/1 mile.  I would question the source that told you just 300 meters.  It is fairly steep for most of the walk and there is loose volcanic gravel underfoot, so be sure to wear appropriate footwear.  No sandals or flip-flops, to be sure.

You can read more about the Grand Cone on the park's web site here (in English):  https://www.parconazionaledelvesuvio.it/en/visit-the-park/the-paths/the-great-cono/

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1