Penthouse Veranda Photos?

What was that?

Does anyone have photos to share of their PV cabin from a prior cruise that shows the door to the veranda? It is best for my purposes if you can say what ship and what stateroom number the photo is from. I am getting blank stares from our TA and her Viking contact when I ask for confirmation of whether the cabin we have been assigned has a sliding glass door or a hinged door with a separate window. The attached images which illustrate what I mean are from an anonymous source and are not authoritative enough for my TA.

I appreciate any help!

PV Sliding Glass Door.png

PV Hinged Door and Separate Window.png

Just now, HollyK777 said:

Is there a reason why one is preferable to the other?

Just depends on personal preference.  We’ve had both and I like the slider better — it opens wider and I think it is easier to get in and out of.  The fixed door is fairly narrow and is harder to pull open.  If you like to eat room service on your veranda, it is also much easier to get out there with a tray.  

We had the fixed door on our first time with a PV room.  Did not like the expanse of wall in the middle and it often took both of us to open the fixed door (especially if there was any wind).  We've made sure we have a slider on our next 2 cruises.

13 hours ago, cocopico said:

I’ve attached a list of all the PV cabins with slider doors.  They are the same on all the Viking ships.  I got this list directly from the future cruise consultant during a previous cruise.   PV Slider Doors.pdf

Thanks - I've seen that before but am not sure where it came from. Is that on the Viking website somewhere?

12 hours ago, just_dont said:

PV 5021 on Viking Jupiter f5629984993c86e6e12277a8f250bb7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh, this is awesome - just what I needed. Now I can send that to my TA so she will know there are two different kinds of veranda access.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Thanks - I've seen that before but am not sure where it came from. Is that on the Viking website somewhere?

As noted in my post, I got the list from the Viking future cruise consultant onboard our last cruise.  To my knowledge it is not on their website.  Your original post showed the two different kinds of veranda access in the PV cabins -- slider or fixed door with picture window. 

Edited by cocopico

1 hour ago, cocopico said:

As noted in my post, I got the list from the Viking future cruise consultant onboard our last cruise.  To my knowledge it is not on their website.  Your original post showed the two different kinds of veranda access in the PV cabins -- slider or fixed door with picture window. 

D'oh! Maybe I should learn to read?

Oh, this is awesome - just what I needed. Now I can send that to my TA so she will know there are two different kinds of veranda access.
Thanks!
No problem. Just got off the Jupiter Midnight Sun cruise.
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed when I realized (long before the cruise) that we'd have a door. But honestly, it didn't really bother us. The window next to the sofa makes it easy to see out when you're sitting there. And when there were times that you really want to be viewing the scenery, the best views are up on deck or in the Explorer's Lounge anyway.

just_dont: I know what you mean - each arrangement has its advantages and disadvantages.

For me the choice was easy: DW prefers the slider. The hard thing was cabin category, and then the door/window/slider controversy blindsided me. Good thing I'm retired so I can take time "off" to recover...

That's probably why I didn't read cocopico's post carefully enough. Yeah, that's the ticket!

just_dont: I know what you mean - each arrangement has its advantages and disadvantages.
For me the choice was easy: DW prefers the slider. The hard thing was cabin category, and then the door/window/slider controversy blindsided me. Good thing I'm retired so I can take time "off" to recover...

That's probably why I didn't read cocopico's post carefully enough. Yeah, that's the ticket!

PV is definitely the way to go. Tons of storage and plenty of room to move around. We really liked the cabin. We didn't even need all the drawers we had.

1 minute ago, just_dont said:

PV is definitely the way to go. Tons of storage and plenty of room to move around. We really liked the cabin. We didn't even need all the drawers we had.

I studied the cabin categories to death, and came to the same conclusion - and I got a lot of input from folks on another topic I started. Fun fact: there are "only" 104 PV staterooms out of the 965 on VO ships, while there are 314 V & DV staterooms. I am sure VO knows what they are doing, but that seems sdrawkcab to me!

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

I studied the cabin categories to death, and came to the same conclusion - and I got a lot of input from folks on another topic I started. Fun fact: there are "only" 104 PV staterooms out of the 965 on VO ships, while there are 314 V & DV staterooms. I am sure VO knows what they are doing, but that seems sdrawkcab to me!

I think you are definitely going to be happy with the PV cabin.  I have to confess that I don’t know what “sdrawdkcab” means, but I suspect Viking has carefully studied the breakdown of their stateroom categories.  The PV cabins are popular, but from what I’ve seen they are among the last to sell out.  Plus, adding more PVs would mean less cabins overall, and therefore less passengers.   By the way, I think you might have a typo in your post — there are only 465 staterooms on VO ships, broken down as follows:

• 42 Veranda (V) staterooms
  • 272 Deluxe Veranda (DV) staterooms
  • 104 Penthouse Veranda (PV) staterooms
  • 32 Penthouse Junior Suites (PS)
  • 14 Explorer Suites (ES)
  • 1 Owner’s Cabin (OS)

2 minutes ago, cocopico said:

I think you are definitely going to be happy with the PV cabin.  I have to confess that I don’t know what “sdrawdkcab” means, but I suspect Viking has carefully studied the breakdown of their stateroom categories.  The PV cabins are popular, but from what I’ve seen they are among the last to sell out.  Plus, adding more PVs would mean less cabins overall, and therefore less passengers.   By the way, I think you might have a typo in your post — there are only 465 staterooms on VO ships, broken down as follows:

• 42 Veranda (V) staterooms
  • 272 Deluxe Veranda (DV) staterooms
  • 104 Penthouse Veranda (PV) staterooms
  • 32 Penthouse Junior Suites (PS)
  • 14 Explorer Suites (ES)
  • 1 Owner’s Cabin (OS)

I stand corrected on the number of cabins. But in my defense, I got two of the three digits correct, right?

And "sdrawkcab" is just backwards backwards. That's how I always spell it.

1 minute ago, What was that? said:

I stand corrected on the number of cabins. But in my defense, I got two of the three digits correct, right?

And "sdrawkcab" is just backwards backwards. That's how I always spell it.

Now I’m the one hitting my forehead and saying “d’oh”!  I just didn’t want anyone to think Viking was putting 946 cabins on a ship that only carries 930 passengers — that really would be sdrawkcab!

• Like 1