Royal Princess Whittier Southbound

mrogers

We leave for the Royal southbound Glacier cruise in a few weeks. Anyone know what time they usually allow passengers to board?

The train arrives right after lunch and it looks like the ship sails 8:30pm or later so that is quite a long time.

Any suggestions train vs the bus?   Also......….how far was the train from the ship?

I read no porters available in Whittier?

Thanks, this is first time for Princess and Alaska for my wife & I

We were just in Whittier yesterday and the day before. Not on a cruise. We did the 5.5 hour Philip's 26 Glacier Cruise (On the Klondike) though. The passengers got off/on the train right at the covered walk way down to the Golden Princess (200 feet max) which was in port then. The bus passengers were let off a little closer even. In the drop off lot, Princess has set up a baggage check in station,  you can leave your bags there then tour the area. Whittier is pretty small, but here is what we did, after staying in a nice hotel there:   

2019  4th of July in Seward and 26 Glacier Cruise at Whittier 048.JPG

2019  4th of July in Seward and 26 Glacier Cruise at Whittier 113.JPG

2019  4th of July in Seward and 26 Glacier Cruise at Whittier 120.JPG

Last time we we at Whittier earlier in the day were allowed to board around noon.  It's a tiny town and you can quickly walk around.  If you get on the ship that early, you'll feel like you have it all to yourself.  The folks on cruisetours usually don't arrive until 5:30 or 6.  The port is tiny as the prior poster advised so no need for anyone to help for longer distances.  We have taken the train 3 times and will be on a bus tour / transfer next Saturday from Anchorage.  If you're taking the train from Anchorage, it will be one level, very roomy, with stunning scenery along the way.  I prefer the train to a bus but we will have taken trains for several days prior to our cruise so we're trying something different this year.  Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is amazing!