OK, I have a good one for you...

misha1

I can't say I have ever read a posting with this issue but if I may tell a little story and see what you all think of it. I am sailing in less than a week on Zenith with a group of 22 other people. 8 of us paid for a catagry 7 outside cabin. I found out shortly after making my payment that I was upgraded to a catagory 5. That's cool and everything since I am a Select Capt. Club member. But, when I found out that the other 6 (who have never sailed before) also had a catagory 5, well, I thought, must be nice. First sailing and already an upgrade. But...then when we received our documents, one of the other couples were downgraded again to a catagory 7. I e-mailed the TA on their behalf and basically her response (after speaking to Celebrity) was "most certainly a mistake...never should have been assigned a catagory 5 in the first place". when I mentioned that this was pretty un-cool of Celebrity and they should make good she said that she sure hopes that the other people do not have their cabins changed last minute. Okay, now I agree that this TA is not pulling her weight, I could tell from the beginning of the booking process that she was not going to do an outstanding job, but I had no choice as the trip was set up by someone else. What gives?

After Celebrity figured out their mistake, they may have already assigned the category 5 cabin to someone else, therefore no matter how much begging, etc does may not be able to be done.

My TA, whom I am not happy with, constantly tells me she is one of Celebrities biggest bookers, and gets the best prices, etc but then I don't get any upgrades or cheaper prices.

Can understand your frustration with Celebrity and TA when first timers get the same upgrade you get and then get downgraded again, doesn't seem right but don't think there is much you can do about it as they are giving your friends what they paid for.

I agree that it wasn't very fair to your friends, but they did pay for the category they received. No one really knows how the upgrade fairy works. Your TA had little control over the situation; they can request upgrades or request that a group be kept together with no upgrades, but in the end the cruise line does what it needs to fill the cabins.

The upgrade from Category 7 to 5 may not be as much of a bonus as you think.... category 5 cabins include those in the aft of Europa deck. Unfortunately there is a lot of engine noise in that area when the ship is under way. I would look at cabin assignments, check them on a deck plan and if you are in a cat 7 cabin at the front of the ship on deck 5.... stick with it. I've been in 5159 (cat. 5) and that was enough to scare me off of booking Gty's again!

I will have a great week and the people who got "downgraded" have a very positive attitude and plan to do the same...PARTY!!! I just thought it was an odd situation. I am mid-ship. I have cabin 4093 so I think I did okay with the upgrade. I will check for cc class at the pier though (luv those little extras). Again, thanks everyone for your input. It does make me feel better just to vent.

As a CC member, your travel agent should have secured a one-category upgrade for you (provided it was available) at the time of booking - that's one of the CC perx. Alternatively, if you preferred to book a Cat 7, the agent should have charged you at the Cat 8 rate. It's a moot point now that you're booked into a Cat 5 cabin, but something worth keeping in mind for future X cruises.

Well, many times even though a group is opened, agencies are given guarantees instead of actual cabin assignments. And sometimes it is a mix of cabin assignments and guarantees. I'll bet on your cabin, the agent applied your one category CC upgrade, but she would have had to have a Cat 7 cabin assignment to do that.

Personally, I would never block Cat 7's on Zenith. I don't like their placements.

Dollar for dollar for the best buy on the ship are the partially obstructed view Cat 8 cabins which are located on Deck 9.

In any event, and I believe it was covered in another topic, original berthing for guarantees can change up until docs are kitted by the cruiseline.. and here is a perfect example.

You cannot get the captain's club one category upgrade if you book a guarantee. you get what you get. Likewise, if you book a happy hour special you will not be able to get the one cat upgrade. (it's in the fine print on the celebrity board that the upgrade is not applicable to all sailings).

Archived