Stockholm from Nynäshamn - DIY Questions

Hi everyone, 

This may have been answered somewhere on this board so apologizing in advance if It has. We are aboard the Regal Princess 8/6 docking in Nynäshamn on 8/8/2019. This is my plan and asking for input if this is feasible and will get us to where we want to go 😄. We are in port 7am - 7pm

A. From Nynäshamn port walk/shuttle to train station and take train to Central Station. About 1 hr. 

B. At Central Station take Tram 7 to Nordiska Museet/Vasamuseet where Vasa museum is located. Tour. 

C. Decide if we want to tour Skansen since it is very close. 

D. Take Ferry or possibly walk to Old Town/Gamla Stan - lunch. (Is this walkable?) Walking is not an issue for us 🙂

E. Decide if we take tour of Royal Palace or go to City Hall.

F. Make our way back to Central Station for train back. 3:25 pm train or 3:55 pm train. 

Trying to to verify if there is a Princess Shuttle that we can take into town as well and what their times are. 

Another option we have looked at is the ships tour which is comprehensive covering City Hall tour, Vasa tour, Gamla Stan, Royal Palace tour, Fjällgatan viewpoint for pictures. This also includes lunch. It’s a ship tour so expensive and large group. I checked with Alla Tours who we are using for SPB but their tour is short and gets us back to the port  hours before we need to be. I’d like to stay/see a little more of Stockholm. 

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from a Baltics cruise and honestly sounds like quite a lot to squeeze in. We were on NCL Getaway and signed up for their DIY excursion, which was essentially a bus ride into Stockholm. Left the port around 7:30, about a 40 minute bus ride and they dropped us off at Opera, told us to be back around 4/4:30 for the ride back. Perhaps Princess has something similar? I basically wanted flexibility, but was nervous about the train timing and my mom has some mobility issues, so this was the best option for us. 

I was hoping to do the Vasa, Gamla Stan and City Hall. In the end, we couldn’t make it to City Hall, as we spent a lot more time time in the Vasa. 

I can’t speak about Skansen. But if is very easy to take the Slussen ferry close to Vasa to get across to Old Town. Very easy to walk Old town streets, very picturesque. Royal Palace is right on the edge of Old Town. 

On 7/22/2019 at 1:47 AM, 1Coconet said:

C. Decide if we want to tour Skansen since it is very close. 

D. Take Ferry or possibly walk to Old Town/Gamla Stan - lunch. (Is this walkable?) Walking is not an issue for us 🙂

Not sure you'll have the time for Skansen as it is quite huge and the distance from Vasa is longer than it looks on a map (some 15 -20 minutes walk to the main gate?).

The road from Vasa to Gamla Stan is beautiful with the harbour on one side and elegant old buildings on the other (the area having the most expensive housing prices in Sweden). At the end of the bay I recommend you follow Hamngatan to Kungsträdgården (the King's Garden), through that park past the Opera house at  Gustaf Adolf's torg (square)  and then take either Norrbro bridge or  Riksbron bridge  to Gamla Stan.

Edited by Ultima Thule

On 8/2/2019 at 10:01 PM, ama said:

Just came back from a Baltics cruise and honestly sounds like quite a lot to squeeze in. We were on NCL Getaway and signed up for their DIY excursion, which was essentially a bus ride into Stockholm. Left the port around 7:30, about a 40 minute bus ride and they dropped us off at Opera, told us to be back around 4/4:30 for the ride back. Perhaps Princess has something similar? I basically wanted flexibility, but was nervous about the train timing and my mom has some mobility issues, so this was the best option for us. 

I was hoping to do the Vasa, Gamla Stan and City Hall. In the end, we couldn’t make it to City Hall, as we spent a lot more time time in the Vasa. 

I can’t speak about Skansen. But if is very easy to take the Slussen ferry close to Vasa to get across to Old Town. Very easy to walk Old town streets, very picturesque. Royal Palace is right on the edge of Old Town. 

I have been eyeing that tour, but do they have any later departures?  

Maybe I will look into the train as well.