Upachaya resort snorkel tours

gwt119

Has anyone done the snorkel tours offered at Upachaya resort?  The snorkel tour includes pick up at the cruise port,  2 snorkel stops on a pontoon boat from the property, lunch and transport back to the cruise port.  I liked that the numbers are kept small and it sounds like there is good snorkeling with no crowds from the reviews on TA.   We are on Harmony arriving in November ( which I understand is rainy season).  Any input would be great. TIA.

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2019 at 10:28 PM, gwt119 said:

Has anyone done the snorkel tours offered at Upachaya resort?  The snorkel tour includes pick up at the cruise port,  2 snorkel stops on a pontoon boat from the property, lunch and transport back to the cruise port.  I liked that the numbers are kept small and it sounds like there is good snorkeling with no crowds from the reviews on TA.   We are on Harmony arriving in November ( which I understand is rainy season).  Any input would be great. TIA.

Hi.  We went to Upachaya a couple of years ago when our ship visited Roatan.  We had a really good time.  We and a few other guests met their driver across the street outside the Coxen Hole port area.  The ride across the island didn’t take too long.  We were met upon arrival and given a little tour of the property.  After that we had an orientation talk and then got our gear.  There is a place to stash the stuff you don’t want to take with you - but that may not be needed on the pontoon excursion.  They were doing a pontoon snorkel and a kayak snorkel.  We did the kayak one, so I can’t give much detail regarding the pontoon experience.  But I can tell you that the snorkeling was very good.

We kayaked through some mangroves and then out to the reef.  Our guide took us all over and we did the longest snorkeling tour we’ve ever been on.  The water was clear and currents were very mild.  We saw lots of sea life and underwater features.  As I recall the folks on the pontoon enjoyed themselves as well.

After returning to their dock we had a nice vegetarian lunch.  Beer and other drinks were available for purchase.  The staff was very nice and the owner (Barbra?) was very nice and welcoming.  I would highly recommend Upachaya.

Hope that helps some,
Tim

• 2 months later...

I did this 10 years ago, and am going again in a week (yay!). Had a great experience last time and expect the same this time. Beautiful area, smaller group, quiet, away from the crowds with very good snorkeling, as I recall. Highly recommended.