Canadians and China

OldBoot

I thought I heard something about Canadians being advised not to travel to China at the moment. I'm not seeing it posted on official government websites. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I don't know if there is a formal advisory out but I am taking an Asia cruise in May and had the option of boarding in Shanghai or Hong Kong and opted for Hong Kong due to the current diplomatic spat between Canada and China.   That said, with the violence and instability going on in HK right now, HK could be just as questionable as travelling to Shanghai

@dns65 - I assumed you are following global news on what's going on abroad.  Woke up this mornig and seeing AP News about another weekend of civil unrest, not good but can't say I am surprised about the ongoing civil disobedience, which I understood but cannot say I support.  On the other thread "Hong Kong" - shared some of my thoughts, while I continue to advise caution but not to cancel any upcoming travel plans & cruises stopping there - it is unsettling.  Hopefully, it will ease up somewhat by September when some of the under-aged & teens head back to the classrooms, those in the 20's and 30's aren' necessary going to just walk away.  

When is your cruise final payment due to cancel or go forward ?  Perhaps, that will be the key milestone or timeline for the checkpoint on yes or no - and, to take on a cancel for any reasons trip insurance package.  While hotels can be cancelled, airfares aren't always easy.  

If the cruise itinerary are almost identical or similar, HK's new Kai Tak C.T. is very nice and modern, and close to city centre and inexpensive ground transportation & transfer, whereas, Shanghai's mega ship cruise piers are a bit more challenging - but, PVG is an excellent int'l airport and our last time there was 2010, very impressed ... unlike our airports here in the USA, including our "dearest" JFK.