Umbrella street

koopmanclan

8 hours ago, Racer70 said:

We were there last week and the umbrellas on Fortaleza had not been put back up. It was a minor bummer, but OSJ is fully open for business and you'll enjoy your visit when you come.

Any reason why the umbrellas are not up? Going  in January one of my places to visit?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grammyprf said:

Any reason why the umbrellas are not up? Going  in January one of my places to visit?

Due to the rioting that was going on.  We're docked there tomorrow, so I'll post back and let you know if they're back up.

1 hour ago, cherylroslyn said:

Thank you for updating us.  This is sad.

Why is it sad?   San Juan has seen far worse days than just some vandalism.  The history is incredibly rich.

And the umbrellas will certainly be back- they have become a pretty cool art installation that everyone loves.

I think your rich history is about to be come richer.  4 Governors inside 3 weeks and maybe not over yet is something that I don't think ever occurred in any US state or territory nor any  "banana republic" with rolling coup d' etats.

Hoping for all Ricans sake things calm down.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I think your rich history is about to be come richer.  4 Governors inside 3 weeks and maybe not over yet is something that I don't think ever occurred in any US state or territory nor any  "banana republic" with rolling coup d' etats.

Hoping for all Ricans sake things calm down.

Interesting that you used "banana republic"- if you are interested in the recent history of Puerto Rico, I suggest reading "The War Against All Puerto Ricans: Revolution and Terror in America's Colony"  

You will see that US industries did to Puerto Ricans almost exactly what they did to citizens of Central America.  It's a pretty tough read.

BTW- they are only up to Governor 3 right now- Rossello was forced to resign, and the SCPR found that Pierluisi's appointment was un-constitutional.  So it's very peacefully gone from a resignation to a more proper person, even if Vazques isn't exactly liked, too.  But she is the legal successor.  And given that this is a US Territory- it just happened.

• Like 1