DIY Touring Nice

reps23

I would spend part of the time in Switzerland and part of the time in the Italian Lakes.  I have been to Lucerne and Lugano in late May and the weather, the flowers, the views were perfect.  I would not bother with Zurich.  Apparently the night life there is great, there was a wonderful pumpkin farm nearby that we visited on Halloween - but there are better cities for short trips.  

I would consider the train because a train pass gives you discounts on the mountain trains.   

10 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I would spend part of the time in Switzerland and part of the time in the Italian Lakes.  

I would consider the train because a train pass gives you discounts on the mountain trains.   

I've suggested a road trip because that's what we like to do.

But the Swiss railways are nothing like Amtrak, they have an exceptional reputation,. And they sell rail-passes which make the cost lower and simpler to budget.

But I have no personal experience.

BTW, if you rent a car in Lyon you'll likely have the added approx  30 USD cost of a Swiss motorway vignette (which has been mentioned).

And significant difficulty or cost  in dropping it off in Zurich (which I forgot to mention :classic_blush:).

But taking a car out of the country (eg France to Switzerland to Italy & back to France) is normally not a problem.

JB :classic_smile: