Visa for Brazil

lizf

Help please! In order to get our Visa's for Brazil we have to show "a photocopy of a round-trip ticket in our name; or a signed letter on travel agency stationary with confirmed round trip bookings."

The confirmation we have received from our travel agent doesn't show the itinerary and just shows that we paid to them. What did you folks who have been to the Amazon send in to get your Visa's? Did your travel agent prepare a special letter for you, or did the Embassy accept something that you already had? Thank you for sharing this information. Liz

We went into Brazil two different times, with Princess. The Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco accepted a copy of the ship's itinerary downloaded from Princess' Cruise Personalizer. That did include our names, etc.

Been awhile since we have been on HAL (and never to Brazil with HAL), and I don't recall if you can download similar items from their website.

The Brazilians are very fussy. On one of our cruises, 5 passengers were denied boarding in Buenos Aires as they did not have Brazilian Visas, and the ship was stopping in three Brazilian ports before crossing the Atlantic to Barcelona. That they were "in transit" did not matter - they were denied boarding. Speaking with a ship's officer later, he told me that Brazil would have fined the ship had they stopped there with passengers who were not "properly documented".

On a recent Amazon trip, there was one passenger on board whose paperwork was not in order for some reason. There was a fine levied which I understand the ship paid and tacked onto the passenger's bill. I do not know how much it was. Others whose paperwork was not in order were denied boarding.

I just sent the confirmation showing payment in full. I did not include a full itinerary. However, I have found out that the consulates are NOT consistent in procedures. I dealt with Houston and although everything says they issue 5 year visas, I was issued a 90 day one. When questioned about it, they said I should have indicated (though it was not asked on the application) that I wanted a 5 year visa. On this upcoming trip, we are flying out of Rio, so I did include air departure information as well.

I have another SA trip next month and had to repply for a visa (yes another $110 plus mailing fees). I did find a place on the application to indicate I wanted a 5 year visa for future trips and this time got one. My traveling companion's was issued through Miami and was issued a 5 year visa although he did not indicate that he wanted one for future travel.

Archived