Norwegian Jewel - Northbound Alaska

K_e_short

Back from our cruise to Alaska.

First wanted to say thank you to all the input and suggestions from this forum.

I had an amazing time with amazing excursions.

Ketchikan - Lumberjack Show - I booked directly online and added the axe throwing for my son. The show was amazing. Yes it was cheesy. Yes it was touristy. It was great. My son really liked the axe throwing and there were only 5 people so lots of individual attention.

Juneau - Dog Sledding! I was able to find a company that did dog sledding. I booked through Alaska Shore Excursions and used North Star Helicopters. The trip was amazing. It was totally worth the money. Very professional staff.

Skagway - Used Frontier Excursions and did the bus tour to the Yukon sign and Suspension Bridge. I wanted my son to go to the Yukon and it was a great trip.

I read almost the entire thread on packing lists and followed it exactly. Almost everything we packed we used. We did not use bugspray (wasn't really out in the forest but brought it just in case) and actually did not need an umbrella. It did not rain one day the entire trip. We did pack winter jackets, hats and mitts but we used it only for the dog sledding on a glacier. I could have just used my heavy sweater and scarf the glacier days.

Seward - We used Alaska Cruise Transportation - Big Bus Tours. The trip took less time then I thought and our guide tour was great. We did the direct transfer because I didn't want to miss our flight.

In regards to the airport in Anchorage - if you fly Air Canada beware that they only have 3 staff on duty so they go back and forth between the check in desk and the gate. It meant that until the 1pm flight left, I couldn't' check in for my 4pm flight.

• 2 weeks later...