Muir Woods - need advice in San Francisco.

Randi S.

Hello,

I recommended that Randi rent a car in order to see more at far less cost than going on Grayline or other tours. Driving in San Francisco is no worse than driving in Kansas City, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, or other urban areas. To me, traffic is the Dan Ryan freeway in Chicago in a rainstorm at 6:00 PM or the I-5 freeway in the Seattle area going from Tacoma to Bellingham at 3:30 in the afternoon or vice versa.

Like other cities San Francisco does have its tourist oriented places such as Fisherman's Wharf. The real essence of San Francisco, however, is in this city's astonishing beauty and charm, its lively and diverse neighborhoods, architecture, bridges, and parks. And I want Randi and her group to experience as much of this as possible in the short time that she will visit the city.

Tadich's is an excellent recommendation. In North Beach, there is the North Beach Cafe for lunch or dinner. Downtown, there is also Sam's (on Bush Street west of Montgomery) for lunch or dinner. Sam's is a long established San Francisco restaurant which includes seafood on the menu.

I mentioned the Buena Vista Cafe because they serve a decent breakfast and lunch at a reasonable price in a very pricey area. But please remember the irish coffees are expensive. And for excellent fast food in the Fisherman's Wharf area, there is an In and Out burger. This is a chain primairly located in southern California but you cannot beat the quality/quantity of the food for the price.

Randi, I hope you have a wonderful time in California and on your cruise. Now, if you want some ideas for Alaska...

Fred

...Thanks Leela! I just wanted to give Randi more options and clarifications; hope they helped!

I second the recommendation for Farallon. It's one of my favorite places to go for dinner. The food is very very good and the interior of the restaurant is just wonderful. I went there for my birthday two years ago!

Oh yeah Farallon! I need to go back -- it's been a couple of years for me too. And as much as I've always enjoyed the
what I especially make sure to do is make room for
's incomparable
-- have always had her "Small Endings" in addition to whatever other dessert I ordered!

RSS, what is your opinion of McCormick & Kuletto's, over in Ghirardelli Square? I've been there a couple of times for a fish dinner and it's good. I prefer Farallon, though.

I haven't been to McCormick & Kuleto's, but I have dined in the main room by the window when the place was Maxwell's Plum (umpteen years ago.) The view is awesome.

On Chowhound.com -- where I usually go when I need dining guidance in line with my tastes -- the reviewers mostly rate the M&K food OK to GOOD.

Here's some comments I was able to find, most recent listed at top:

1/18/06 -

6/27/05 -

5/20/05 -

1/26/05 -

10/14/04 -

9/05/04 -

12/31/02 -

4/13/02 -

10/17/00 -

The oldest here is over 5 years old, but I enjoyed the comment:
"The wharf is mostly terrible unless your group has no taste. Having said that disclaimer, I did once arrange a business dinner for 16 at McCormick and Kuleto which is a large seafood restaurant in Ghiradelli Square with a killer view. We were seated at two circular tables in the window. It turned out to be really nice, and the guests from out of town were impressed."

I just found that the restaurant is part of McCormick and Schmicks -- a national chain spread over 24 states, with over 50 restaurants and catering operations, and is growing.

(
-- Note the spelling "
San Fransisco
" on their map!)

Usually, I do not
knowingly
recommend a chain restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area that is not based locally nor is not based in California -- at first, anyway. Usually, I'll see if there's a more independent, more local alternative.

(Just because we can in SF, right? Of course -- it helps that we have thousands of individual restaurants and small local chains or restaurant groups to choose from! For example, I readily recommend the restaurants from Pat Kuleto's local restaurant group -- which are all very unique and very local in scope.)

[NOTE -- for anybody else reading this and trying to follow:

Pat Kuleto is a restaurant designer & restauranteur who designed McCormick & Kuleto's -- which is part of the national chain McCormick & Schmicks. Pat Kuleto co-owns 4 other restaurants as part of his own local restaurant group -- one of which happens to be Farallon.]

If we really had no choice but to be in Ghirardelli, and if we needed the best view-to-good food ratio, and view was the priority, and if there was no "buy local buy smaller" stipulations:

McCormick & Kuleto's would be the top choice.

In Ghirardelli,
still may have better food but fewer tables with a view; I haven't had the pleasure but I still hear great things so that would be my preference if guests wanted to experience the contemporary very upscale Vietnamese cuisine (seared lobster with black rice risotto, New Zealand snapper with green mango sauce, grilled rack of lamb with cinnamon-star anise rub and spicy tamarind sauce --
)

Outside of the Wharf, just west in Fort Mason, for the killer view of the Golden Gate Bridge -- I would send any and all to
restaurant if I could secure the better view tables and if guests wanted to experience the special
dinner.
Whatever anyone does, if you go to the Ferry Building to see the Farmer's Market and get tempted by a nearby place called Sinbad's DO NOT go there.

I AGREE that Sinbad's is the PITS -- and has been probably for at least 20-25 years! What's up with that?! (I used to work at 150 Spear and sometimes walk the Embarcadero; co-workers and I would see people going in and we'd mumble
poor victims!
Food that tasted like the restaurant was raiding stranded airline catering trucks!)

Funny thing (actually, more pathetically) is that there's Nancy Oakes'
-- which is right across the street. I guess some prospective diners find they can't get in at Boulevard and stumble in to Sinbad's. Boulevard has a back section with a great view, and of course awesome food (I've heard -- for so many years). I confess I've never gone because it was too close to work for me! Although I no longer work in the area, there's some block in my thinking where I still will go to
and
first! I haven't been to the newest of the
, either:
in the Napa Valley. I may just end up going to Martini House there before I ever get to Boulevard. We'll see!

Food Tour of the Ferry Building Marketplace:

The following website has a great eating tour/review of eating at the Ferry Building.

The reviewer put together a daily tasting meal by visiting 7 shops a day for 3 days:

Day 1 -

Day 2 -

Day 3 -

NOTE:

If you get "
Service Temporarily Unavailable
" when you click on the above links, please try later.

Merchant Location Map:

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/merchant_map.php

For info on the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market (the large one is every Saturday):

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/farmers_market.php

RSS, I think we need to find a San Francisco foodies forum to post in! We could talk about our favorites all day. Maybe I should check out Chow Hound. Anyway, I'll keep this short: Ana Mandara has no view at all, but the decor and food more than make up for it. When you walk inside, it is as if you have stepped into the garden of a French colonial plantation house just after sunset. The booths around the outside are on the "porch", and the tables in the center are in the "garden." It's beautiful.

Boulevard, to me, is overrated. I prefer Jardinere. I really enjoyed Greens, too, much more than I thought I would since I am not a vegetarian.

RSS, I think we need to find a San Francisco foodies forum to post in! We could talk about our favorites all day. Maybe I should check out Chow Hound.

I can see that!

If you haven't yet checked out Chowhound, it's time!

BTW you're not just a foodie -- YOU are DEFINITELY a Chowhound -- which is a most wonderful thing!

Please see the following link for the Chowhound Intro Page, which differentiates foodie vs chowhound.

And there IS a message board JUST for the San Francisco Bay Area; please see the 2nd link below:

Chowhound Intro Page:

Chowhound's SF Bay Area Message Board:

california/boards/sanfrancisco/sanfrancisco.html

Randi -

(and others)

I also recommend you check out the Message Board above if you have any specific San Francisco restaurant or food questions. The board is text-based (unlike this board), so it's very FAST to scroll through messages.

There is no username or handle required to read the messages; all lurkers are welcome!

If you want to post a message, there's a "Read This before you post" link at the top of all message boards.

Note:

There is a Main Page also - which gives you a map that you can use to find the other boards. Just click on the Intro Page above, and at the bottom is a link. On the Main Page there is also a "Hot Posts" link so you can see the most recent posts -- as well as a couple of Google* search boxes for newer and older posts.
*[For those who like to use Google advanced search (
), remember under
Domain
to put
chowhound.com
in the box.]

Leela -

Thanks for the clarification on Ana Mandara. Thanks also on the heads up on Boulevard. There are quite a few Chowhound posts that support the overrated feeling.

(Other Readers Please Note -
Boulevard is still considered by most to be solidly in the top 100 restaurants in the city, if no longer in the top 10. Some of the dissention among Locals concerns the pricing of some a la carte items such as salads -- as well as the desserts not being up to the same level as the rest of the food -- and the restaurant's current comparable value to other well-rated restaurants.)

Here's some Boulevard links, including some of the mixed/negative posts at the bottom.

Note:

The first, most recent links happen to be positive -- which is a good thing. Only a couple of positive comments are listed due to space considerations; please click the links if you're interested in more comments:

December 29, 2005 - Some short reviews, some long reviews: Allegro, Chez Panisse, Boulevard, Iluna Basque, YabbiesDecember 24, 2005 - Boulevard for News Years Eve Dinner
"Seared foie gras. Any meat out of the wood fire oven, especially the lamb."
"It's almost a "can't miss" place. The lamb is outstanding. Have a great time."
November 16, 2005 - wonderful meal at boulevard
November 14, 2005 - Boulevard Report
September 20, 2005 - Boulevard first-timer

August 25, 2005 - what can you tell me about Boulevard?
"GOOD: I got the scallops and the lamb, and others at the table got foie gras, pork chop and lamb also. I agree with Morton that the lamb is the best I've had, with an incredible preparation of potatoes 3 different ways - beautiful and delicious. The scallops were also wonderful, perfectly cooked and very tender with a tasty but not overpowering lobster sauce. I tried my friends' foie gras, and it was also perfectly cooked with nice accompaniments. I hear that their ribeye is one of the best in the city, so ask for it if you're into that.
BAD: The pork chop was disappointing, not overcooked but a little bland. The desserts were good, but you'd expect more from a restaurant of this caliber. I got the trio of chocolate desserts, 2 of which (pot de creme and ice cream cookie) were excellent. The 3rd was a dry piece of chocolate cake, didn't finish it.
ROOM: The dining room is very well-designed and comfortable, and while it is crowded, it's not crowded to the point where the scene overwhelms the dining experience. Try to get a table in or near the back for a great view of the Bay.
SERVICE: The service here is fine, not intrusive but also not the most attentive. I got a great wine recommendation when I went, so I was pleased with that."
"Boulevard is one of the most popular spots in SF, presumably great for business dinners. Menu reads well, but food rarely delivers on expectations. I have ordered dishes that were missing items that were listed on menu. Prices are misleading. The menu is not set up like Gary Danko, La Folie, or any other tasting menu, but you will spend just as much. "
"loud and touristy and way overpriced!"
"I think it has been slipping of late."
"I've never been been a Boulevard fan ... or Aqua. I would say that Ron Siegel at The Dining Room at the Ritz is as good as it gets at this time. I might go back just to try what he's doing with summer produce. I liked Michael Minna too, but not as much. "
"I have to agree with the negative posts on this thread, I try not to be too negative unless its just horrible but I have always regretted the amount of money and calories the 4 occasions I have gone... Having had a wide variety of entrees across various friends and family, some who are into food and some not, I swore the last time I went would in fact be the last time ever...there are just too many other really good places that I like better for that much money....The service wasn't very good either on 2 of those occasions- one being my mother's 60th birthday dinner...disappointing and not very creative....In its stead, I would recommend Zuni, Delfina, Gary Danko, or even Masa's over Blvd..."

You all gave me such a wealth of information. I am in the process of sharing it with the others in our party, but with all your help, we can make some very educated decisions. I am almost tempted to cancel our cruise and spend all our vacation time in San Francisco. (Almost, but not quite:p ) Seems very likely we will return...

In addition to Scomas and Buena Vista, have any of you ever eaten at Cioppino's?

Thank you again. Never expected such a great response!

Hi, my niece has invited on a few occasions to Cioppino's. She loves cioppino and I actually found this place for her. Haven't tried it but she says it is decent. It is probably close to your hotel, but if you are looking for cioppino, you may want to venture to Tadich Grill which has been recommended here.

have any of you ever eaten at Cioppino's?
I haven't been there and I tried to find out if on Chowhound, but couldn't find anyone who's mentioned it.

On Chowhound, Tadich Grill is the most recommended restaurant for the local specialty dish cioppino in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Here's more links to more information that might be helpful -- on Cioppino's, other Fisherman's Wharf restaurants, some other seafood restaurants, and Tadich Grill.

Here are the links:

Comments on Cioppino's:

San Francisco Chronicle reviews:

3 Most recent threads on Tadich Grill on Chowhound -

(Note: 2 threads misspell restaurant as "Taddich") :

• 4 weeks later...

...Since we're still tracking Fisherman's Wharf suggestions, here is a fresh, positive review on Alioto's 9, by a well regarded chowhound contributor:

Restaurant website:

As someone who lives in Monterey..There is plenty to do up here besides the Aquarium. In fact, I am rather disappointed in it(except the jellyfish exhibit which is now gone). I actually MUCH prefer Baltimore's Aquarium or the Virginia Marine Science Museum in Va Beach. That being said.. Cannery Row is a lovely walk, with signage and anecdotes from Steinbeck's life. Just past the Aquarium along the Rec Trail is a large fenced off beach where the sea lions hang out all day long.. in spring and summer the place is wall to wall sea lions. In Fact, the pups are being born now and come the late spring they will be out in full force.

I also HIGHLY recommend Taste Of Monterey at 700 Cannery Row. Located in one of the old cannery buildings, it has a wall of glass that faces the water. It also happens to be the one place where you can pretty much get any and every wine made from Monterey County grapes. They offfer two tasting levels.. for $5 each you can taste 6 of 9 choices(bottles priced under $30) or for $10 each, all five choices of the Reserve Wines(over $30 a bottle). Several restaurants have no corkage fee agreements with ToM as well, just ask at the tasting bar. A little known secret is that you can also purchase a platter of cheese and crackers for like $8 to enjoy along with wines by the glass.

The drive from San Fran will be gorgeous, unless it's raining/June Gloom time. Carmel is just the cutest little town and if you are lucky, Clint will be out and about.

• 1 month later...

Randi - your original plan for Muir Woods, Monterey, and some sightseeing in SF sounds great!

Like another person said when you go to Muir Woods you will go over the Golden Gate Bridge, and if it is a clear day it is beautiful.

The drive to Monterey will have you oohing and ahhing - beautiful drive. Great plan for your full day here.

The half day when you disembark you can cram as much of San Francisco as you can. If you don't want to drive look into a short tour that takes in the sights you want to see (Coit Tower, Lombard St., twin peaks - great view) drive through China town, etc.). Then you can walk on the wharf if that is something you are interested in.

Whatever itinerary you choose have fun here and on your cruise. I'm doing the alaska cruise in June this year.

Lot's of talk about restaurants - just a bit of trivia, but Tadich Grill is actually one of if not the oldest restaurant in San Francisco, so there is a lot of history there.

We rented a car for our day in SF. It was a short cab ride to the rental office near Union Square and an easy drive over Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods. The advantage was that we arrived before all the tour buses and had a quiet and liesurely stroll through a delightful park.

We then drove to Bodega Bay, but you might opt for a short time in Sausalito, and then return over the bridge and drive through Golden Gate Park. It was designed by Frederick Laws Olmstead who aslo designed Central Park in New York, and has lots to see. Return your car by 1 o'clock so you can take a short cable car ride over the hill to the Embarcadero and back to Union Square in time to get a cab to the ship. That ought to be a pretty full day in the City.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

First and last time I went to San Francisco was 25 years ago. I remember taking a ferry to Sausalito and then a walk under the redwoods. It must have been Muir Woods but I think I missed something. Did I take some bus or was it at walking distance ?

My cruise will end in SF next April and I would like to spend some days to visit. I really don't want to miss these wonderful trees.

Question : are the Muir woods just at walking distance ?

I have spend a month visiting California in 2002, except San Francisco and I dont need to go back to Yosemite or Monterey. We will have no car which means no parking problem.

Could someone recommand me an hotel which would be nicely located and not too expensive.

Thanks

To all contemplating a beautiful scenic drive down the coast from San Francisco to Monterey.... there is a section of highway 1 20 minutes south of San Francisco that is closed indefinitely (it is called Devils slide). This area is expected to be closed for many months. Therefore, you need to make the trip down the freeway. It is a pretty freeway, but not quite the same as taking the coastal route.:(

It's not like you have to take the freeway all the way. You can take 280, which is a very pretty freeway, to 17, and then go over the mountains to Santa Cruz and continue along 1 from there to Monterey. So, you'll get mountains and seaside on your drive.

You could even take 1 from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay along the coast, then take 92 to 280 to avoid the Devil's Slide closure, then go down to 17 to Santa Cruz and pick up 1 again there.

It's not like you have to take the freeway all the way. You can take 280, which is a very pretty freeway, to 17, and then go over the mountains to Santa Cruz and continue along 1 from there to Monterey. So, you'll get mountains and seaside on your drive.

You could even take 1 from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay along the coast, then take 92 to 280 to avoid the Devil's Slide closure, then go down to 17 to Santa Cruz and pick up 1 again there.

Ditto!

Slight adjustment on the second option:

The closure is just south of Pacifica --- and is north of Half Moon Bay.

So, if you're driving south along the coast from San Francisco, you'll want to veer inland in or north of Pacifica (to get to Highway 280).

Then you go south on Highway 280 (which takes you past most of scenic Crystal Springs Reservoir in San Mateo), then take Highway 92 west to get you back to the coast at Half Moon Bay.

A tip:

Just south of Half Moon Bay, in Pescadero -- stop at Duarte's (pronounced Dew-Art's) -- http://www.duartestavern.com.

Artichoke lovers can start fulfilling their dreams with Duarte's cream of artichoke soup. For dessert, the Olallieberry Pie is without equal (a local must for pie fans).

• "
"

"Historic restaurant and bar, known for its artichoke soup and seafood. Includes sample menu and online ordering of jams and syrups."

Article on Duarte's olallieberry pie:

imgMain.jpg

Thanks for the correction! As I was driving the 280 from San Francisco to San Jose this morning I realized I had the closure point wrong, and have been thinking about getting back here to correct it all day now!

Archived