Norwegian Cruising with 3 Generations

Fotini

We are booked on the Norwegian Gem 14 day cruise departing Boston on Oct. 25, so there are a lot of at-sea days. Does anyone have experience with the kids programs and activities on board the Gem? The kids are 9, 8 and 6. We want to ensure some 'free-time' on board for our daughter and son in law!  Thanks for any information and advice. We have cruised before but not with young kids. 

Your trip sounds wonderful.    We have done two trips with three generations,  our 8 year old, the DH & I (just 50) and our parents (ages 75, 80)

NCL has a kids club called Splash Academy that the kids will probably enjoy.  The staff is great at games and different activities each day.   There is no cost but the staff is not part of the general tip pool, so we happily contribute to the basket at the end.  

SA is not open 24/7 but the hours tend to give parents a nice option for free time.   My cruiser loved it even when there weren't very many kids participating.   On our Alaska cruise there were quite a few families and sometimes we had to wait in line to get in, but were never turned away.   On the 11 night Panama Canal cruise there were only 30 people under the age of 18 on the entire ship (the Jade) so the problem was there weren't any friends, but it sounds like your group are a built in gang - so they will be happy regardless.

Our kiddo wasn't too excited about the MDR or the other restaraunts so she was happy to eat buffet and then go to Splash Academy when it opened.  We would then enjoy a dinner and pick her up at bedtime.   She was happy to have her own time.

We could have taken her there on port days, but there weren't any ports on either cruise that we wanted to hang out on the ship for.  

Sometimes there were nights that SA was open late and we could pay a bit extra, but with two sets of grandparents in nearby cabins it was easy to manage a late night while she "camped" on a couch on the one night we had dinner on our own.

Search the NCL site for Splash Academy and read all the requirements, but they'll give your kids the info when they register the littles on day one.  (They can even add you as a person who is allowed to pickup or drop off - which might be nice.)

• Like 1

Definitely sign them up 1st night for Splash Academy.  I believe they will be in the same group as it’s 6-9 y.o.  Hours are 9-12. 2-5 and 7-10:30.  So still time for family time.   My 8 yo granddaughter loves it and chooses cruising over Disney World.   They put on a pirate show and talent show later in the week.   Only concern would be there may be limited kids due to being 2 weeks during school year but at least the 3 of them will be together

• Like 2

Thank you all for your answers. They all love swimming and anything water related. They are indeed home-schooled, which is wonderful for adventure year round. They are all 3 well-seasoned world travelers. Thanks again! 

Edited by Fotini
duplicated sentence.

2 hours ago, Fotini said:

Thank you all for your answers. They all love swimming and anything water related. They are indeed home-schooled, which is wonderful for adventure year round. They are all 3 well-seasoned world travelers. Thanks again! 

You are kind to respond to the inquiry about their education - I might have been grumpy about that.   We took our kiddo out of school for the Panama Canal cruise because it was an experience with her grandparents who, if I understand biology, won't live forever and two weeks as a group doing something like that was worth the homework.  

But,  in regards to the swimming comment, calling the child camp "Splash Academy" makes it sound like they'll have access to the pools during their time there - that is not true.   Pool time is not included in this program.   Kids are welcome in the pool with adult supervision.   Waterwings are allowed, but not pool toys.

• Like 1

Thanks TPgal,  I realized that about the program as soon as I did the research. Homeschooling is not for everyone; but our grandkids are getting a fantastic education, and are well advanced of their grade requirements, in addition to the broad world view they are getting from travel and interaction with people from different cultures. Plus they will now add 'cruising' to their wide travel resumes! We are very excited to share this trip.