jewelry in French Polyenesia

travellgirl

We will be on the Paul Gaugin in May. I am not a real big fan of black pearls (I know, call me crazy). I normally buy some type of jewelry while on vacation and like to try to get something I cannot get at home or is particular to the region we are visiting. Is there anything else that these islands are known for or something that is just pretty and has an "south pacific" flair to it. For instance, while in Hawaii a few years ago we bought a gold coral necklace and ring which we cannot find here and then I got a plumeria slide which reminds me of Hawaii everytime I wear it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I got a lovely necklace made from mother of pearl with a carving of a manta ray on it. The mother of pearl piece is crescent shaped, maybe like a 1/3 of a moon with the carving. It is hung on a black piece of stiff cord, but you will find many necklaces there on this type of cord. I'm not sure what it is but softens over time.

I agree, there's lots of beautiful mother-of-pearl pieces that abound. There is also lots of shell jewellery, but what I remember of it was rather fragile and inexpensive, not a lasting momento. You may also see some contemporary jewellery designs, some incorporatng pearls, but not necessarily. But remember anything with gold in it will up the price, very high duty on gold.

At the tender dock in Moorea when we were there a couple of years ago was a vendor selling carved fossilized ivory. Her husban did the carving in Moorea and did beautiful work. Most of the pieces were fish, crabs, sting rays, etc. She gave us documents of the ivory's orgin so we could bring it back into the US. We bought two pieces and plan to buy more when we return in April if she is still there.

Mike

Archived