What are the present onboard booking deals

Pentlands

We are not  on board, but the normal has always been an extra -5% along with your normal discounts for loyalty and any other offers on at the time (which you will find on Fred's website).  We have always been able to combine the on board discount with any other deals that are going at the time, but of course they are applied sequentially with the subsequent discounts being off the remaining balance and not the full price.

I think (but may be wrong) that the summer 2021 cruises are due to be released in the early autumn and worthwhile offers often seem to come on at that time (e.g. 3 for 2), so depends when you are sailing and what may, or may not be offered.  There is always some offer or other going, but I do wish Fred would just price reasonably to begin with.

Edited by tring

14 hours ago, Pentlands said:

Thanks for the heads up, sailing in a couple of weeks. But multiple cruises will not  be any good.

Have you ever transferred them to a TA on return and if so was that worth the effort?

It certainly used to be the case that, if your current cruise had been booked with an agent, you could transfer the booking to that agent on return home, but not otherwise.  We have recently got extra reductions from an agent we have used and had been told last year by the agent, that if we transferred a cruise booked on board a different cruise line, they would give an extra reduction if we transferred to them afterwards.  We changed our minds and did not book a cruise on that ship.  We have not done an on board booking with Fred for almost 3 years, and when we did we had not booked via an agent, so did not have the option to transfer those bookings.  We spoke to the future cruise rep on March/April cruise this year about upgrading a cruise we have booked - she quoted a price, but could not give an on board discount for the upgrade (not sure if that was because we have booked with an agent, or if you just do not get the -5% on upgrade prices).  I do not know if you get the -5% on Anchor (saver) fares as we have not booked them on board.

We stopped booking with an agent when the big discounts (~10%) stopped a number of years ago and because we could not speak direct to a cruise company on an occasion which caused us much frustration.  We have found in recent years that we have been able to get about up to 5% reduction by booking with the agent we used to use, so have gone back to them.  We have booked a number of cruises with them and think that has made some difference in the discount applied.  We got an extra 8% off an Azamara cruise a few months back as our agent had an offer on them for anyone and it was advertised on their website.

There are so many ins and outs with booking cruises, but must admit I do wish Fred would just charge decent prices to begin with.  I assume he must think it is worth playing the games he does though.

Hope you enjoy your cruise,

Barbara 

• 1 month later...

Did book onboard, got 5% off and a cabin upgrade which was well worthwhile. Transfered back to TA and got another £150 off, double off the cruise miles for next cruise and a free crate of wine. I have not been able to touch the price I got onboard with any TA since arriving back and the TA 'extras' felt like the icing on the cake.

Even manged to winkle a first sitting when none were available!