SCENIC JASPER

HCI

Hi

We are looking at doing Budapest to Amsterdam late May just have a few questions if anyone can help

Has anyone stayed in a Standard Room whats it really like

Hows the weather that time of year

What is the dress code (hopefully not formal)

Can you eat in the River cafe in the evening

What currency is used on board

Cost of laundry (as not included in standard)

What are the tours like

Or anything else that anyone would like to add

Many Thanks

I just got off the Scenic Gem a week ago and am posting many pictures, including from the in cabin book which will answer many of your questions.  I won’t repost pictures here as I think your questions are broad enough that you should see them all.

laundry:  once anytime during your cruise (you pick) you stuff the bag in your cabin as full as you can get it.  We were on 11 days starting on a Wednesday and put our bag in on Sunday morning and it was back Sunday late afternoon.  We put in t-shirts, golf shirts, button shirts, underwear, Capri pants, bras, socks, shorts....and the bag wasn’t full.  I rolled the clothes before putting them in.

River Cafe: is open early morning until evening.  I don’t think it is open during dinner but I can’t say 100% but you can order room service if none of the available dining options suit you.  The café area is one side of the lounge, on the Gem, between the lounge and L’Amour restaurant.

D5EDF9BB-61ED-4484-8C7C-F9E67C47C1DB.thumb.jpeg.c25e31c44f79e83bd876738f59b0807b.jpeg

Dress code:  during the day is casual.  Wear what is comfortable.  There were 2 gala dinners on our 11 day sailing and people dressed up more for them but I wouldn’t call it formal.  3 men had ties, I think.  They request no shorts in the dining room for dinner but they were worn by a few and nobody was turned away.  I was told “country club casual” before we left which didn’t help much as I have never been inside a country club.  

Money: onboard is the Euro.  They can change a small amount for you.  We brought some over from home and used bank machines to get more when needed for buying items off the ship.  We bought one thing from the shop on-board and it was paid for by credit card.

Tours:  are described in the brochure and on-line.  There is a selection each day plus you can always do your own thing with your Tailormade you have the maps and descriptions of what you are looking at.  On-board your cruise director will review all the touring options and give you a chance to change your selections.  The tours were excellent, in my opinion.

cabin: is a person choice.  I can’t be in the lower deck because of a vertigo-like condition and the movement of the water is too close but my husband would dearly love it if we could!  Many times those cabins sell out first.  I stayed in a deluxe balcony because of its location and the only difference in our cabin and the regular balcony was 20sq feet, mostly at the end of the bed.  I need to be able to get fresh air because of my condition which made the sun lounge essential and I did use and enjoy it.  But we were also using all spaces on the ship.  Sometimes other riverboats raft against yours or, in our case, the tide is low and the lounge in our room was no good to use so the jewel deck cabins don’t have that issue.

I know my review is long but if you skim it you will see the pictures and get the info.  Weather nobody can predict just like water levels.

Good luck choosing!

• Like 1

"What currency is used on board"

The only time you'll need currency on board is if you decide to tip your butler at the end of the week, but that is NOT required.  If you buy something from the boutique, its charged to your cabin which is paid for via credit card.

In either of the above cases, you will need Euros.  Otherwise everything (and I mean everything) is included.

There is not much to purchase onboard.  The "gift shop" is essentially a small trophy case with a few trinkets. You can get Forints at an ATM in Budapest and Euro at any ATM in any other country, or just use your credit/debit card and allow for conversion.  there are many digits in a Forint price tag so look twice and you won't get a big surprise such as the one our travel partner got in a scarf shop in Budapest

We sailed from Budapest to Amsterdam on the Jasper in 2016 and loved everyone minute of the trip. I believe the others have covered most of your questions already. If you'd like a more detailed description of our experience you can find my review in the Scenic 'review' area.

Have fun!!

Paul