Flying to Long Beach but cruising out of San Pedro questions

huskerdan25

We are cruising on the Royal on January 18 to the Mexican Riviera and prefer flying into a small airport like Long Beach rather than into LAX.  Southwest Airlines has great airfare at the moment from Denver to Long Beach and it is lower than flying into LAX.  Here are my questions:

1) Should we stay in Long Beach the night before and then get transported to the World Cruise Center the next morning or once we land in Long Beach, stay in a hotel near the World Cruise Port in San Pedro?

2) I believe the Long Beach airport is closer to San Pedro than LAX, correct?  We have flown into LAX for a cruise out of San Pedro before and it was quite a distance and we booked a private car to take us from LAX to San Pedro and back.  

Thanks for your input on my questions in advance.

Long Beach Airport is only slightly closer to the port in San Pedro than LAX--about 16 miles vs. 20 miles...Time involved, depending on traffic, is fairly similar.  The real advantage to LGB, assuming you can get decently timed and priced flights is the smaller size.

Long Beach Airport is also not all that close to the Downtown area of Long Beach where the nicer hotels, restaurants and attractions are.  If you are just getting there the night before and are not going to have time to tour the Aquarium, Queen Mary, etc., there is no great advantage for you in staying in Downtown Long Beach.

There are some hotels near LGB airport, but there is really very little around there--just an industrial area and Freeway offramps...And, you'd have a reasonably long ride to the port in the morning.

Therefore, the best option is to just take an Uber (or other transportation) immediately from LGB to a hotel in San Pedro (Crowne Plaza or Doubletree)...If you are there in time for dinner, go out and have a nice dinner in San Pedro, then get a good night's sleep and a relaxing morning before the short ride (or even walk, if you are at the CP and care to walk it) to the cruise terminal...

Thanks Bruin Steve.  We will land in LBG at 11:25am so we actually would have the afternoon and evening before the cruise leaves the next day.  Having been in San Pedro before, there really isn't much there but sounds like we could spend an afternoon and evening in Long Beach before taking a shuttle to the cruise port next morning.  Do you think it is worth getting a hotel in Long Beach if we are arriving just before noon the day before or do you still think it best to just get over to San Pedro.  I do currently have a reservation at the Doubletree in San Pedro but can cancel and book a hotel in Long Beach if we decide to spend the day/night there.

Dan, you have a couple of options...

I guess the first question would be whether you want to do something with that afternoon...or just kick back and relax.  If the latter, might as well keep the Doubletree in Pedro--you'll only need one ride from LGB to the DT...and they will shuttle you to the ship in the morning--which is relatively close...

IF you want to do something in Long Beach with that afternoon (say visit the Queen Mary or take in the Aquarium of the Pacific), then your options are these:

You might want to keep the reservation at the Doubletree, head there straight from LGB and check in, then take an Uber (it's a fairly cheap Uber ride--maybe $12-13 each way), tour what you want in Long Beach, hang out there through Dinner, perhaps (lots of choices), then Uber back to the Doubletree San Pedro for a good night's sleep and quick hop over to the pier in the morning.

The other option would be to find a hotel in Downtown Long Beach near the attractions...BEST options:  Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin...B List:  Maya Doubletree, Hilton, Residence Inn Downtown.  You could catch a ride from LGB to that hotel, then walk or use the free Passport shuttle to get around Downtown Long Beach...and, in the morning, check out and catch an Uber or other transportation to the ship in San Pedro...

Landing at 11:25AM, I'd stay in Downtown Long Beach with the Hyatt Centric being my first choice, Hyatt Regency second and then just pick from the Renaissance, Westin or Hilton.

You can explore downtown or catch an Uber to Belmont Shore or 2nd & PCH (which could be completed by then).

• Like 1