Mildly miffed - conversion charges. A question pls.

59 minutes ago, JillK said:

Hey! 

Rates are terrible and I was reading a few months ago that they are expected to get worse over the next year. Hopefully that will change. It makes cruising so much more expensive right off that bat! I still fondly remember when I travelled in 2007 AT PAR. Those were the days! 

We use the card you've mentioned, TD USD Visa. 

I know CIBC has a card at the same annual fee as TD, BMO has a USD Mastercard for $35 and Royal Bank also offers a card but for $65 plus a fee for a secondary card. 

Another route I have seen discussed elsewhere on these boards is the Rogers Mastercard. It is in Canadian dollars and they do charge a fee for conversion (2.5%) but you get it back (plus a bit extra) in cash back (3% on foreign transactions purchases). They don't have an annual fee.

Good luck and happy cruising. 

I was hoping the rates would improve!  That and the crazy airfare costs are why we don't cruise as often as we like.

OMG, I do remember when the currency was at par, it was the same time we had our first cruise.  I wish I had known back then to exchange more money!

Thanks for the info on the credit cards.  Yes, annual fees are absolutely ridiculous!

55 minutes ago, Jeannie333333 said:

It seems to be different on different ships depending upon whether they have the RCI App, I think.  I think the ships who use the App just have a one liner which is underneath the card number - and you have to tick it is you WANT them to convert.  It was no longer an A or B option, just simply one option to tick is you wanted them to convert.  However, as they completed ignored it, it seems a bit pointless! 

I do have a photo of when I completed it, just for my own sanity and so I can prove to them I did not tick the box - but it has my credit card details on it and I am not clever enough to delete off the card number on a photo, so sadly I cant post it sorry.   It says:  I elect to convert onboard expenses to my credit cards local currency using a currency conversion service'.  it has a square box by it and you tick it if you want them to convert.

Oh no worries, I would be doing the paperwork on a computer vs. the app so I'm sure it will look different.  

Great idea that you took the photo!

Thanks again!