Bay of Fundy Whale Watch

smile145

I will be cruising out of NY on MSC Meraviglia in October.  For our stop in Saint John, there is an excursion offered called “Bay of Fundy Whale Watching” where they drive you there and then go on a whale watch.  It’s a long drive and expensive but I am very interested in this if there would actually be whales.  Does anyone think there would be whales there in late October?  The date is Oct 21 that the ship is there.

While there are whales around until late October, the whale-watching season seems to run down early Oct for most companies in most years. The good news is whatever whales are still around will have well-known habits late in the season, so finding them is easy - but Oct 21 is pushing it. I'd try calling or emailing all the St Andrews whale-watch companies to see when their schedule ends this year - they're all listed here.

I'd book it independently if at all; that will save you a fortune based on the markup I've seen applied by other cruiselines to the actual cost of a whalewatch out of St Andrews! Even one person could rent a car and likely save money, 2+ just bring bigger & bigger savings. If they are still operating, you might end up on the same boat that your fellow cruisers are using but having paid a tiny fraction of what they've been screwed out of. I've even seen some cruise tour profit margins padded further by adding an adoption certificate for a Right Whale - charging a hundred bucks a pop when you can get them direct from the organization issuing them for US$30!