Canopy Tour & Dunn's River Falls

christi29

I am going on a cruise with Royal Caribbean and am interested in taking the Canopy tour. We would also like to go to Dunn's River falls afterwards. The tour is from 8:30 - 12:45. My first question is has anyone done this tour and then gone on their own to Dunn's river falls? Secondly how exhilirating is the canopy tour, will I have enough energy to do the falls afterwards? Has anyone gone on both tours? Which one seems better?:(

christi29-

My DH & I did the Original Canopy Tour in Ocho in September w/RCCL. It was one of THE BEST excursions we've ever experienced. There were about 20 pax and about 6 guides. The tour lasts the entire 4.25 hours-actually, ours lasted longer. It is awesome!! We would not have had time (IMO) to go and do the falls afterwards. We got back from the excursion, ran to the ship & in about 30 minutes showered/changed clothes (were HOT & kind of yukky). Then, we left the ship again & walked up the street to Margarittaville/stores and did a little shopping. We might have had 2 hours at the most.

Between the falls & the Canopy Tour, I would vote for the Canopy Tour. Given the chance, I would do it again in a heartbeat-it was the best!! If you want specific details, I would be more than happy to help answer your questions.

Have you had the chance to do the Dunn's River Falls? My parent's told me that I had to do it and I was reading about the Canopy tour and I am so torn between the two, but we just can't do both. I would like more info on the canopy tour though.:o

I am not sure about the canopy tour (I am doing something similar in St. Martin this upcoing spring), but I did Dunn's last week. It was very-very-very crowded. I knew that there would be a lot of people going into it- but I was surprised. The problem is they don't seem to stagger the groups and then there is a large back-up which makes it difficult to climb when there is a mass of humanity and no where to turn or put your feet. The bottom of the falls are more difficult to climb (but, my 4 year-old did it) and I think that is part of the problem. One woman ahead of my group fell and was being pulled back up by like 4 guides (who were having a hard time with her), and all I could see was her slipping out of their hands and knocking down a bunch of climbers like bowling pins! They did get her up, and she was the only one I saw that actually fell. But, in my opinion there were quite a few people that should not have attempted the climb (which is what I am sure a number of people thought about me taking my 4 y.o. up with us), but we know her abilities and would never have done something that put her at risk- which there is a risk to every climber regardless. The only time she was scared was when we had to climb under the bridge- which was just low.

I would definitely do Dunn's Falls once in my lifetime- but from what I've read about the canopy tours if you had to pick do that first!

Been to Jamaica twice. First time the Dunn's Falls, second time the Canopy tour. It would bevery stressful time wise to do both, but I think it can be done. The tour guides will take people back to the ship and then continue to Dunns Falls for an extra $10 per person. It seems like we were rushed to get in just a little shopping at the pier, but our Canopy Tour ran longer than the 4 1/2 hours. Take the first tour of the day. Having said this, if you decide to make a choice. The Canopy Tour is a must do somewhere, but if you won't get back to Jamaica, you will not get the chance to climb the falls. Are you stopping in Belize or Costa Rica, where you can take a different canopy tour? We will talk forever about the Canopy tour, and yes, they do mention the falls, but it isn't anything that exciting. It is a very slow climb if you stay with the group, but you can go to the other side and climb yourself. A better option in my opinion.

Two years ago, DH & I did the early canopy tour AND Dunn River Falls. Before we got off the van, one of the guides arranged for a taxi to be waiting for us on drop off. He took us to Dunn River Falls and waited for us in the parking lot. Yes, both can be done on the same day. We actually had time to go to Margaritaville after Dunn River, but were too tired.

I will say that when we went on the Canopy tour it was one of the 1st times it had been offered and we had a smaller group and it didn't take quite as long. The second time we went on the canopy tour we had twice the number of zip-liners. However, on the way back, the bus driver offered to take about half of our group to Dunn River after dropping the rest of us at the port.

Hope this helps.

Love2cruisegirl,

You mentioned in a another posting that you were afraid of heights, yet still took the canopy tour. I too am fearful of being up high & even as I think about riding the pulleys, etc. I can feel my heart beating faster. Was it as scary as I am thinking it is?

Ive done the Canopy tour back in October....It was pretty neat and very hot though...as for energy to continue onto the falls, yes you could but I found I didn't have enough time...the tour lasted longer than scheduled...they tend to linger in their travels...stop for beer break/purchases...but you could play it by ear...you can always do the falls on your own afterward and not as a group if time permits.

• 2 weeks later...

We want to do the canopy tour and then have a taxi or private tour company pick us up at the canopy tour location to do something else. Did the 4 hour canopy tour include a couple hours of eating and shopping or was it just transportation and the ziplining?

Archived