Royal Caribbean vs Carnival

I have been on several cruises, but all have been with Carnival. I am now looking at a cruise on Royal Caribbean, but would like to know the differences.

Does Royal Caribbean put the automatic tips on ship board credit?

Are the formal nights more or less formal than Carnival?

Does Royal Caribbean take the photo's like Carnival?

I know that Royal Caribbean has room service, but is it free and does what kind of selection is it?

Can you board the ship before time like you can on most Carnival, and will lunch be ready when you get on board?

If anyone can help me with these questions or anything else that could help me make my mind up would be great. I am thinkin of a cruise in less than a month so I really need to decide now.

Terri

I have been on several cruises, but all have been with Carnival. I am now looking at a cruise on Royal Caribbean, but would like to know the differences.

Does Royal Caribbean put the automatic tips on ship board credit?

Are the formal nights more or less formal than Carnival?

Does Royal Caribbean take the photo's like Carnival?

I know that Royal Caribbean has room service, but is it free and does what kind of selection is it?

Can you board the ship before time like you can on most Carnival, and will lunch be ready when you get on board?

If anyone can help me with these questions or anything else that could help me make my mind up would be great. I am thinkin of a cruise in less than a month so I really need to decide now.

Terri

No auto tips unless you request it.

Same I'd say with formal nights

Phot's but not quite as in your face all the time like Carnival

Room service is free on all cruise lines that I know of. Selection is at least comparable to Carnival

Royal Caribbean is great at getting you on the ship as early as 11 am in some cases.

You won't be dissappointed. Lots of great deals out there. Get a good tA.

IME, RCI is a little more particular about dress than Carnival. On a recent Glory cruise, there were lots of shorts and ball caps worn at dinner in the main dining room and LOTS of jeans, despite the daily capers advising they were not permitted. Less regard from Carnival pax in this area. MOre particiaption in formal night on RCI.

No dancing waiters at dinner on RCI and no announcements in the dining room.

Room service has more options on RCI.

We had the dancing waiters on the Voyager 2 years ago!!! Plus they did make announcements if I remember correctly. To me the best way to describe the two would be to say Carnival is Vegas...glizzy, lights, neon, RCCL is the more classier subdued type of decor. I love them both!:D

We had the dancing waiters on the Voyager 2 years ago!!! Plus they did make announcements if I remember correctly. To me the best way to describe the two would be to say Carnival is Vegas...glizzy, lights, neon, RCCL is the more classier subdued type of decor. I love them both!:D

On CCL, they dance on top of tables and the pax get up and dance with them. I find it intrusive, Carnival fans seem to enjoy it.

On CCL, they dance on top of tables and the pax get up and dance with them. I find it intrusive, Carnival fans seem to enjoy it.

I've never seen dancing on the tables in person, on the last 4 Carnival cruises I've been on. I did see a picture someone had posted. That would be something I can live without!

The room service menu on RCI is better. You can get a hot breakfast, order some items off of the lunch and dinner dining room menu and as metioned above, they have pizza, hamburgers and cheeseburgers on the room service menu.

As far as dancing on the tables, I have seen this twice on Carnival.

We booked a Carnival package that included air and transfers to and from the ship. The transfers were handled so bad at both ends that we were completely turned off by Carnival.

Similar packages with RCCL had smooth transfers. On board the ship, I have to say room, food and service are ok on Carnival, but better with RCCL.

Archived