Flying Dutchman and Maho Beach - Enough Time?

bmar808

Hi All,

Our family of 13 will be in St. Maarten from 8a-5pm next year.  As this cruise is a gift for son's graduation, the one thing he wants to really do is the Flying Dutchman at Rainforest Adventures.  We will definitely be heading there, but would also like to eat lunch at either Guy's Driftwood or Sunset Beach, while watching the planes fly in.  

Carnival offers an excursion that does the Flying Dutchman, a couple of other ziplines, and Maho Beach but we don't think it would be a good fit because 1) the reviews say the excursion goes to Maho beach first (in the morning with no planes) and 2) we do not really want to go on the other ziplines.  

Would it be feasible to think we would have enough time to take a taxi to Rainforest Adventures, do the Flying Dutchman, taxi to Maho, have lunch & watch planes, then taxi back to port?

Other questions/considerations:

1. Based on their June 2019 schedule, Rainforest Adventures opened from 11a-3p. I am thinking that they would have similar times for next year, which makes timing challenging?

2. Using a link someone posted, I see that our ship is the only one in port that day.  Does anyone know if this could change dramatically?

3. I read on CC that the traffic back from Maho Beach can be horrendous and we should aim to leave Maho by 3pm at the latest?

4. Are taxis readily available at the port, Rockland Estates, and Maho?

5. Should we just buy the Carnival excursion?

Ultimately, if we get to Rainforest Adventures and we can only do The Flying Dutchman, we are absolutely okay with that.  We are just *hoping* that maybe we could squeeze in lunch and plane watching. 

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

16 hours ago, bmar808 said:

Hi All,

Our family of 13 will be in St. Maarten from 8a-5pm next year.  As this cruise is a gift for son's graduation, the one thing he wants to really do is the Flying Dutchman at Rainforest Adventures.  We will definitely be heading there, but would also like to eat lunch at either Guy's Driftwood or Sunset Beach, while watching the planes fly in.  

Carnival offers an excursion that does the Flying Dutchman, a couple of other ziplines, and Maho Beach but we don't think it would be a good fit because 1) the reviews say the excursion goes to Maho beach first (in the morning with no planes) and 2) we do not really want to go on the other ziplines.  

Would it be feasible to think we would have enough time to take a taxi to Rainforest Adventures, do the Flying Dutchman, taxi to Maho, have lunch & watch planes, then taxi back to port?

Other questions/considerations:

1. Based on their June 2019 schedule, Rainforest Adventures opened from 11a-3p. I am thinking that they would have similar times for next year, which makes timing challenging? - Sounds probable.  You can definitely be off the ship and there when they open at 11.  

2. Using a link someone posted, I see that our ship is the only one in port that day.  Does anyone know if this could change dramatically? - I can't answer this for sure but since most if not all companies already have their sailings out for next year this is most likely correct.  When we were there in July there were days that there was only 1 ship in port and sometimes none.  June is the beginning of "low" season so it would make sense there would be less ships in port.  

3. I read on CC that the traffic back from Maho Beach can be horrendous and we should aim to leave Maho by 3pm at the latest? Yes you would need to leave Maho by 3pm.  

4. Are taxis readily available at the port, Rockland Estates, and Maho? Port - yes.  Rockland Estates - I don't know but they could probably call for one for you.  Maho - yes. 

5. Should we just buy the Carnival excursion?  ???  Having 13 people you are going to need multiple taxis which will add up quickly and may pose difficulty getting from the zip line to Maho.  Getting to the zip line and from Maho back to port shouldn't be too bad, but again you will need multiple.  An alternative would be to just stay at Rain Forest Adventure and just do the multiple zip lines, then head back to Phillipsburg and eat there.  I know not exactly what you want but I think that they logistics of 13 people may make it difficult to do on your own.   Or is everyone going to go to the Zip line? If all 13 do not want to do it (there are height/weight restrictions also) then you may be able to make easier.    

Ultimately, if we get to Rainforest Adventures and we can only do The Flying Dutchman, we are absolutely okay with that.  We are just *hoping* that maybe we could squeeze in lunch and plane watching. 

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MandiesPharm said:

Thank you for your thoughts and help!!  I am also thinking this could turn into a logistical nightmare.

The other challenge we have is that of the 13 people, 8 are sure they want to ride the Flying Dutchman.  The other 5 are unsure and want to decide when we get there.  I really wish they would decide before hand because it would make planning easier lol.

I think our best bet is to go to Rainforest and see how long it takes dependent upon who is riding, crowds, lines, etc. When we are done, then we can decide if we have enough time to go to Maho or back towards the port for lunch.

If you don’t mind me asking yet another question, what time would you suggest as being the latest we should leave Rockland Estates in order to comfortably go to Maho?  I think that may be the determining factor.

Thank you again!!

20 hours ago, bmar808 said:

Thank you for your thoughts and help!!  I am also thinking this could turn into a logistical nightmare.

The other challenge we have is that of the 13 people, 8 are sure they want to ride the Flying Dutchman.  The other 5 are unsure and want to decide when we get there.  I really wish they would decide before hand because it would make planning easier lol.

I think our best bet is to go to Rainforest and see how long it takes dependent upon who is riding, crowds, lines, etc. When we are done, then we can decide if we have enough time to go to Maho or back towards the port for lunch.

If you don’t mind me asking yet another question, what time would you suggest as being the latest we should leave Rockland Estates in order to comfortably go to Maho?  I think that may be the determining factor.

Thank you again!!

I do think that if you got to Rainforest right when they opened you could have at least an hour and a half there.  As long as you left by 1230 that would still allow you about 2 hours at Maho for lunch and to watch the planes, assuming that they open at 11 next year also.  They may open earlier - I know they probably won't know their exact hours yet but I would reach out via FB when it gets closer and ask them.  Especially since you may have 13 and 15 looks to be their cut off of "needing a group reservation". 

I wonder if it may be to your benefit to hire a driver to transport you all like Bernard's Tours.  He has group transfers.  That may be the best way so you aren't depending on getting multiple taxis.  That would also save you time, as he would be there waiting for you. 

• Thanks 1