Northwest Airlines Pilots Strike

Syracusefan

On Friday the union for Northwest Airlines pilots put $10 million into a fund for the pilots in the event of a strike. There is a very real possibility of a pilots strike at Northwest Airlines on February 16th and Princess has booked my February 18th departure flight to San Juan on this airlines. With the talk of strike for quite some time why would Princess risk putting cruise passengers on this airlines when there were/are seats available out of my departure city on US Airways, Delta, etc? Just last week they changed my return flight from Northwest to US Airways but today they said they won't change my departing flight to US Airways? What recourse do I have if there is a strike? Why would Princess change my return flight but refuse to change my departure flight? If we can't obtain another flight does Princess travel insurance cover our losses for missed days at sea, etc? I am concerned to say the least.

On Friday the union for Northwest Airlines pilots put $10 million into a fund for the pilots in the event of a strike. There is a very real possibility of a pilots strike at Northwest Airlines on February 16th and Princess has booked my February 18th departure flight to San Juan on this airlines. With the talk of strike for quite some time why would Princess risk putting cruise passengers on this airlines when there were/are seats available out of my departure city on US Airways, Delta, etc? Just last week they changed my return flight from Northwest to US Airways but today they said they won't change my departing flight to US Airways? What recourse do I have if there is a strike? Why would Princess change my return flight but refuse to change my departure flight? If we can't obtain another flight does Princess travel insurance cover our losses for missed days at sea, etc? I am concerned to say the least.

I'd pay a deviation fee and get my flights changed.

If there is a strike, Princess will get you on alternative flights and no, you wont have to pay the difference. Once you've booked, and paid for Princess flights, they have the responsibility to get you where you're going.

They will do their best. But if the strike starts on the day they are traveling, it could be a nightmare and ohter airlines will be filling up fast. There may not be any seats available. Remember that there are less flights since 911 and that translates to less seats.

We are in the same situation...one suggestion would be to see if they could change you to fly down on the 17th. That way, if there is a strike, you have one extra day to try to find alternate flights.

I'm not a union person, and I'm going by what I've seen in the past. But, if the NWA pilots go on strike there is supposed to be a 30 day "cooling off" period. In other words, if the pilots vote to strike on Feb 16 they can't walk until 30 days later.

With that said, I'm not sure how the bankruptcy lawyers and judges are going to handle that. NWA management states that if the pilots strike it would be an illegal strike. Not that that helps anyone on the ground.

www.startribune.com is a minneapolis paper, and that's where NWA is headquartered. Minneapolis/St. Paul airport is also a major hub for the airline.

Princess probably didn't change your outgoing flight because of the 30 day cooling off period.

Of course as I mentioned before, I'm not an official spokesperson, or union memeber, so if I'm wrong....don't come hunt me down ;)

Have fun on your cruise!

. With the talk of strike for quite some time why would Princess risk putting cruise passengers on this airlines when there were/are seats available out of my departure city on US Airways, Delta, etc?

Your other two choices are just as likely to be out of business as Northwest.

I personally wouldn't get worked up about it.

1. If they do strike Princess will put you on another carrier.

2. As others have said this will likely drag on with a cooling off period and if it even gets to the point the president can step in and order them to keep flying.

Scott

Thanks for calling Northwest & inputting their comments. We were going to call tomorrow & ask what alternatives we have. By the way we are also from Shelby Township (Hi neighbors) & are sailing on the Sea Princess on 2/25 & return 3/11. We are leaving 2 days prior to stay in Fort Lauderdale. Hope you have a wonderful cruise & that we have nothing to worry about. :)

Small world. Last year on the Golden, we had a group of 8, 6 from Shelby. Met another large family group from Shelby also on same cruise.

We've given thought to driving to FL if our flight is jeopardized. We could probably have a caravan. We WON'T miss our cruise:D.

We've lived in Shelby over 30 years now. 3 Children graduated from Eisenhower and now have a son at Utica. We enjoy the area.

Have a safe trip and great cruise. Think you made a good decision to go to FLL a few days early. Don't miss the water taxi...Greg Norman's yacht is something to see!

Archived