I'm back from my trip

wishmeluck

It was our first Disney Cruise and it was very nice. We went with our boys, 7 & 4. The 4 year old didn't like the kids' club but that was fine because at least he was a lot of fun to be with. My 7 year old got bumped up to the 8-9 year olds club and he loved it. However, after leaving him there the first night for about 4 hours, I went to pick him up and he was sitting in front of a large screen playing video games. When I asked him if he did any of the activities they had planned, he said no and that he just played video games. Well . . . he didn't go back to the club. I told him I didn't want him playing video games on vacation. We discussed it and he never really asked to go back to the club which was fine with me. The Mickey Pool was fantastic for my kids - they loved the water slide. We got stuck with the late seating for dinner which was fine but it was tough because the 4 year old ended up falling asleep each night at dinner. But the dinners were really nice and our servers were nice. The restaurants were all great.

Atlantis Hotel in Nassau is AMAZING!! We are definitely going there for our next vacation. Castaway Cay is amazing - we had a big stingray swimming all around us. The kids loved that as well as all the fish that come close to you. I loved the hammock!!!

Anyway, it wasn't an earth-shattering experience for us but it was really nice. A 4 night cruise is plenty for us - not sure I would want to do a 7 day again. But that's just our preference. I'm not a crowd person at all and at lunchtime I took my life in my own hands when I went to the buffet - hee hee.

Oh, and we did one day in Magic Kingdom. We've been lots of times before but it just gets worse and worse each time we go. I couldn't believe the number of people there in January. All the lines were 30-45 minutes long. After 4 hours, $400, and not going on a single ride, we all chose to leave. It was a Saturday so I'm thinking maybe it would have been different mid-week.

Anyway, yes I would recommend a Disney Cruise (definitely better than Carnival for the kids) and yes I would probably go again someday - just not too soon.

Good luck to everyone awaiting their trips!

I'm glad you mentioned the video game incident. My son will be 9 when we cruise next Jan and he would sit all day and play video games if he was allowed. We intend on checking in on the kids every 2 hrs at least. (my son is a special needs child although he is a very typical pre-adolescent boy) and my daughter, who'll be 6, can be talked into anything by pretty much anyone. I'm not sure if we'll even leave her in the kids club. We, too, are not fond of crowds or even buffets so another good heads up. Thanks.

Wendy

Also for MK: two words: Fast Pass

I think 3 and 4 day cruises are more hectic than 7 day cruises, for a couple of reasons.

1. A lot of first timers who don't know the "ropes" so to speak, so there is confusion about how to do things, etc.

2. Related to number 1 is that since it is short cruise people are trying to do it all.

3. The cruise line itself has less time to fit in all of the normal activities.

4. Disney specific: There are probably more 3 and 4 person travelling parties which up the load factors. On other cruise lines that have ships of similiar size the would have more 2 person traveling parties which means the ships are less crowded.

5. 7 day cruises have sea days which allows for relaxation time and tends to spread people out.

Disney packs a lot of daily activities on all of their different length cruises. I haven't been on a Disney cruise for a couple of years, but since I have one booked for later this year, I took a recent look at the Navigators and was astounded at the amount of activities as compared to Princess.

Having said all that, I do realize cruises are not for everyone, so enjoy all future vacations, cruise or not.

I am curious as to how you got to the Atlantis. WE are going to be 10 people on Disney Wonder June 8th. I think it is kind of expensive to take everybody to the ATlantis with the tour from the ship. Do you know of any other beach we can get to during our stay in Nassau? I was told about renting a room at the Comfort Inn but we would need at least 2 rooms at $250.00 each. Please let me know.

Thanks

We spontaneously took a taxi over to the Atlantis. It was $4 per person to get there. Then we had to pay $25 per person to be allowed to walk through their grounds. I don't think we would have been allowed to go on the beach - we didn't even attempt it. The walk through the Dig was nice enough and just enough to tire us out after an hour+ of walking. My boys were pooped.

Sorry can't help you much.

We just returned from a Disney cruise too. My 9 year old son spent a lot of time on the video games. He had nothing to show for the week, as far as crafts.

We did a lot of all 4 ports days, so I figured I'd let him do what he wanted the rest of the time, it was his vacation too. I hardly ever let him play video games at home so he was thrilled to do it there.It was a chilly week for pools anyway, I think he would have used the pool more if it was warmer.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm glad you mentioned the video game incident. My son will be 9 when we cruise next Jan and he would sit all day and play video games if he was allowed. We intend on checking in on the kids every 2 hrs at least. (my son is a special needs child although he is a very typical pre-adolescent boy) and my daughter, who'll be 6, can be talked into anything by pretty much anyone. I'm not sure if we'll even leave her in the kids club. We, too, are not fond of crowds or even buffets so another good heads up. Thanks.

Wendy

Special needs, and typical, and talked into by anyone, not fond of crowds, don't go! Spend your money on help! Metrowon

Wendy

Go on the Doctor Phil's cruise please! Metrowon

Archived