Does Viking use the port’s tenders at Belize?

PlanoTim

I've been to Belize on another cruise line and they used the tenders from the port to transfer passengers between the ship and the port.  The ships anchor quite a ways out.  Does Viking use their own tenders or the larger ones from the port?

Thanks,
Tim

1 hour ago, BruceLovesSailing said:

On Viking last year they used the larger and faster port tenders.   

Excellent.  Thanks, Bruce.  Were you on the Panama Canal & Central America itinerary, by chance?

Tim

2 hours ago, BruceLovesSailing said:

No, we did the Turquoise Caribbean Seas cruise in 2018.  We did go through the canal in 2017 on the Sun going from Miami to Los Angeles. 

Ah.  Ours is a partial transit, so probably not the same thing.  But do you recall about what time the ship started through the canals going to Gatun Lake?  An excursion I’m interested in (Panama Canal by Ferry) has a start time of 6:30 AM, according to MyVikingJourney.  I’m concerned that the excursion may depart before the ship transits the canals from the Caribbean.

Tim

Our ship departed Colon at midnight and arrived at the beginning of the canal at dawn. Since you are only going to Gatun lake and returning to the Caribbean, the timing will probably be different. The port timings are shown on your invoice. Check MVJ.

I looked at your ferry excursion and it is on the day you are in Colon, the day before your ship goes into the canal. The timing may work but check with your Viking agent to be sure.

The excursion looks to have a lot of bus travel, getting to Gamboa  and getting from Balboa (on the Pacific side) back to Colon.  I suggest you look at a map to get a perspective of their location. 

Bruce

34 minutes ago, BruceLovesSailing said:

Our ship departed Colon at midnight and arrived at the beginning of the canal at dawn. Since you are only going to Gatun lake and returning to the Caribbean, the timing will probably be different. The port timings are shown on your invoice. Check MVJ.

I looked at your ferry excursion and it is on the day you are in Colon, the day before your ship goes into the canal. The timing may work but check with your Viking agent to be sure.

The excursion looks to have a lot of bus travel, getting to Gamboa  and getting from Balboa (on the Pacific side) back to Colon.  I suggest you look at a map to get a perspective of their location. 

Bruce

Yes, on the VO site it shows the excursions on the Colon day, but MVJ has them on the "Scenic Cruising: Panama Canal" day.  So I'm not really sure.  Most of the Panama Canal excursions on partial transits depart from Gatun Lake before the ship heads back to the Caribbean, I have been told.  But the 6:30 AM start date seemed odd.

10 hours ago, BruceLovesSailing said:

No, we did the Turquoise Caribbean Seas cruise in 2018.  We did go through the canal in 2017 on the Sun going from Miami to Los Angeles. 

Bruce,

Which ship did Caribbean Seas cruise last year?

Thanks

Haven't been through the Canal with Viking, but have well over 20 transits, mostly on passenger ships. On all W'bd voyages the first convoy starts about 05:30 to 06:30. Generally always have arrived at the bottom of Gatun Locks at first light. Normally clear Gatun Locks and into the lake between 07:00 & 08:00.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Haven't been through the Canal with Viking, but have well over 20 transits, mostly on passenger ships. On all W'bd voyages the first convoy starts about 05:30 to 06:30. Generally always have arrived at the bottom of Gatun Locks at first light. Normally clear Gatun Locks and into the lake between 07:00 & 08:00.

Thanks!