Cape Horn

marylovestotravel

'Flatbush Flyer' was on the Sirena Buenos Aires to Lima sailing and we were on the return Lima to BA sailing.

We did not round Cape Horn in route from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia on March 29, 2019 because of very stormy weather and rough seas. This transit is problematic any time of year so stayed overnight in Punta Arenas and sailed the Strait of Magellan and Beagle Channel instead.

Was looking forward to getting a gold ring in my left ear.

https://www.livescience.com/33099-why-did-pirates-wear-earrings-.html

We had stormy weather, the port of Punta Arenas was closed, the ship could not go to Ushuaia, turned north into the inner passage of the Chilean fjords. Many upset passengers told everyone the storm was fake news propagated by the captain. Luckily no riot.

• Haha 1

Thanks for your replies.

I'm caught (but not really!) between wanting some exciting seas or a quiet, smooth transit! I guess the latter may be more enjoyable, as I would hate to miss any part of the cruise. Though some of the cruisers have some very interesting war stories!!! Only 5 more months to go!

Mia

I was lucky enough to land on Cape Horn as an excursion from the Stella Australis 9 years ago and what a thrill of a lifetime!  Lucky to have had glorious blue skies but wind like the dickens.  Mary, I think we’re on the same cruise with you in March.  My previous Patagonia trip was the best ever, and I’ve been eager to go back.  Doing the sea cruise this time so my husband would agree to go with me!

39CB10B0-44DE-45E8-8BD7-B1389C99AD26.jpeg

77EDB181-E741-492E-B2B6-FF4CE5B51626.jpeg

18 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

I was lucky enough to land on Cape Horn as an excursion from the Stella Australis 9 years ago and what a thrill of a lifetime!  Lucky to have had glorious blue skies but wind like the dickens.  Mary, I think we’re on the same cruise with you in March.  My previous Patagonia trip was the best ever, and I’ve been eager to go back.  Doing the sea cruise this time so my husband would agree to go with me!

39CB10B0-44DE-45E8-8BD7-B1389C99AD26.jpeg

77EDB181-E741-492E-B2B6-FF4CE5B51626.jpeg

Hi Nancy,

Yep! We will be on the Marina together. Looking forward to the cruise. And it seems that for some people, once is not enough! I will need to hear your stories once we are onboard.

Mia