CocoCay jet ski questions

FloriDan

So my wife and I are complete jet ski virgins, but we're thinking about doing the excursion at CocoCay. I guess our concerns aren't specifically related to CocoCay, but I thought I'd ask here since that's where we'll be...

My wife can't decide if she wants to be a passenger or drive her own See-Doo. She's afraid she'll have trouble operating and controlling it. It doesn't seem like it could possibly be that difficult to me, but ... who knows. I think she would love it. That girl loves anything fast. Second, we're both wondering what the likelihood of tipping off of one of those things is. She has very little upper body strength and I'm ... well I'm a big, buoyant, roundly shaped individual. Seems like pulling yourself back up on a jetski in the water could be a challenge, to say the least. 

Anybody have any experiences/advice/horror stories they can share?

We did this excursion a few years ago.  Coco Cay has changed a lot since then but I don't think the excursion has.  They give you instructions on how to operate a jet ski first and make sure people stay a safe distance from each other.  You'll be riding in a line with a guide in the front and another in the back.  I don't think your wife will have any problem figuring it out.  The only way to tip over is if you try to turn the jet ski without using the throttle.  Just don't do that.  :classic_smile:  No one tipped over on our tour but if you do, I'm sure the guides will help you get back on.

The guides will usually put single riders at the front on the line because you'll have less weight and therefore will go faster.  They want the fastest in front and make a couple of stops to rearrange everyone.  If you decide to share a ski, you can switch drivers during the stops so she'll get a turn.

I think the tour is actually a good one for virgins because they give you driving and safety instructions.

Here's my review with some pictures, if you're interested: http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2012/10/monarch-day-3-coco-cay.html

On 10/11/2019 at 1:49 PM, CruisinCrow said:

I think the tour is actually a good one for virgins because they give you driving and safety instructions.

Thanks, CruisinCrow! I think we're definitely going to give it a spin. I'm hoping we'll enjoy it so much that we'll want to make it a regular thing when we get home. Appreciate the feedback! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...