tried an all inclusive/1st time

ccletzgo

We still like to cruise (we're doing the Mariner in March), but we really enjoyed the AI experinece that we had at the Iberostar much more and can't wait to go back after the area has had a chance to heal from Wilma. Perhaps next year.

Riviera Maya is in full operation. It was spared the full brunt of the hurricane because it was shielded by Cozumel which was really hit hard. We also did the Lindo last year (upgraded for free to the Maya). We are going to try the new (opens February 2006) Riu Palace Riviera Maya in May.

I understand that you are saying that there were a lot of nice people to look at and you enjoyed doing so during your AL. Ummm - but overweight people are humans too - we are no different than anyone else. Yes - I am overweight - otherwise I wouldn't have responded. I am not flaming you - you could have just worded it a little different. This is just me being honest.

Or he could have just eliminated it altogether-- wasn't necessary to say it at all....the OP says "no flames please", but that statement was just begging for it... :rolleyes:

you know i was going to post something about all inclusives.

i went on my first cruise this past december with 9 other ladies. i didn't like the ship and it gave me a so so taste for cruising.

i am trying to find a CHEAP, family oriented dominican republic all inclusive for christmas break.

anyone have any recommendations?

you could email me at information@koenickbusinessforms.com

thanks

The only all-inclusive hotel we stayed at was the Xpu-Ha Palace in Riviera Maya, and sadly Rita completely obliterated it :(

I agree with most of the pros / cons mentioned so far. For me it seemed like there wasn't the comraderie you get on a ship.... not as much a community feeling. People not as enthused about the activities and entertainment. But everything is free free and free !

The absolute All Inclusive amenity you can't get on a cruise? Hammocks on your private balcony...... heaven!!!

you know i was going to post something about all inclusives.

i went on my first cruise this past december with 9 other ladies. i didn't like the ship and it gave me a so so taste for cruising.

i am trying to find a CHEAP, family oriented dominican republic all inclusive for christmas break.

anyone have any recommendations?

you could email me at information@koenickbusinessforms.com

thanks

For the Dominican Republic try this site for LOTS of information, reviews and photos:

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

also try http://www.tripadvisor.com for lots of reviews.

The top resorts seem to be

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in La Romana

and

Bahia Principe in Punta Cana

This post is great!!!! I have done several cruises and I want that true - sit on the beach and relax experience. I don't want to be on ship time and don't want to have to worry about getting up at the crack of dawn to get a good seat by the pool! My boyfriend and I are in the process of deciding where to go for our AI vacation, and all of your posts have been soooo helpful!

For an AI, I totally recommend Sandals. We went to Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia for our honeymoon and loved it!! Sandals are couples only so there were no kids around and no groups of spring-breaking college students. Very relaxing, great food, beautiful resort.

I think Sandals is best suited to those in their 20s and 30s. I have become more selective in my 40s!

The resort should suit your personal tastes. High rise vs low rise, spa resort vs high activity (like Sandals IME of 18 stays there since the 80s). If you want luxury, Cuisinart in Anguilla or Cap Jaluca are top notch. Some of the most luxurious AIs are the smaller, exclusive properties.

The good news is, like cruise ships, there is something for everyone.

Cuisninart and Cap Julaca are luxury resorts that offer packages which can include meals, but they are not true "all inclusive" resorts. Anguilla has the most amazing beaches but it is also a very expensive island!

Jumby Bay and Galley Bay in Antigua are luxury all inclusives, there are also all inclusive islands such as Palm Island, Petit St.Vincent and Guana Island.

There are all inclusives to suit every budget, lifestyle, age group and activity level.

http://www.jumbybayresort.com/

http://www.guana.com/

http://www.psvresort.com/

http://www.eliteislandresorts.com/site/resorts.asp?islandID=4&resortID=15

We went to Beaches....Turks and Caicos. We always wanted to try an AI - too many buffets. Too many little hands licking their fingers...and the whole place could use a really good scrub.

We had fun....but not sure if I would spend 5 days there again. We are spending the day in Antigua at Pineapple Beach - AI - that should do it.

One of the fun things about the Couples resorts (and there are 4 of them, all in Jamaica, 2 in Negril, 2 in Ocho Rios) is that they maintain on their website a message board with a series of threads very similar to Cruise Critic, along with a similar set up for "who's going when." By the time I got there, I had spoken with people on line, met up with some of them for drinks, and ran into people in hot tubs and the like that I discovered I had chatted with online! It made it a lot of fun!

Caviargal, I assume when you say Swept Away you mean Couples--I think I'd like to try that next go round for an AI. Loved Negril, but the idea of SA also intrigues me--and my husband the fitness nut loved the idea of their fitness center--one of his measurements of a cruise ship is the gym facility!

Robin

I love all-inclusives! I've been with friends and family, but usually prefer to go by myself for sheer rest & relaxation! My favorites are the Palace Resorts in Cancun/Mayan Riviera - namely the Moon Palace and the Xpu-Ha Palace (which, unfortunately, was severely damaged by Wilma). I usually do one AI and one cruise each year. The RIU properties are also wonderful. The Paradisus in Punta Cana, D.R., is fabulous! You can get some really good deals, including air, at AI resorts. Love 'em!

We really enjoyed our AI in Jamaica last year, though five nights was enough. You can't beat an AI for just doing nothing but laying on the beach, reading, and eating and drinking. We aren't drinkers so they probably come out way ahead on us but I do drink a lot of Diet Coke! Neither of us are in to water sports, but I did enjoy snorkeling for the first time.

My husband thinks the service on RCCL was much better and he likes having the option to stay on the ship or get off and see a new country. I don't care either way and I think if you figure everything out $$ wise AI's and cruises are pretty comparable for us. I hope to do another AI in Mexico or back to Jamaica. Thanks for the recommendations.

I love all-inclusives! I've been with friends and family, but usually prefer to go by myself for sheer rest & relaxation! My favorites are the Palace Resorts in Cancun/Mayan Riviera - namely the Moon Palace and the Xpu-Ha Palace (which, unfortunately, was severely damaged by Wilma). I usually do one AI and one cruise each year. The RIU properties are also wonderful. The Paradisus in Punta Cana, D.R., is fabulous! You can get some really good deals, including air, at AI resorts. Love 'em!

Sue, when you say Palace Resorts, is that the same as the RUI resorts? Do you like one in particular? Also, do you know if they offer domestic beers such as Miller Lite or Bud Light or Coors Light?

Thanks for your help!

###

I have done AIs (all 5*) all over the Caribbean and the Mayan Riviera and, "buck for buck" a cruise can't hold a candle to 'em, at least from Toronto. :D Especially if you enjoy premium brand alcohol which IS included AND poured freely.D. No nickel and diming, no ridiculous prices for excursions, all the golf you can play, beautiful facilities, beaches, pools etc.

Having said that, we will be on Radiance in April :D, a different kind of vacation.:)

While I haven't been to Sandal-like AI's, we have been to some very exclusive high end resorts where we received breakfast and dinner as an add on package. We can tour the island or the country side at our leisure. I prefer a resort or AI-like vacation to a cruise and it's not even close. There is significantly more privacy, peace and quiet. Leading very busy lives we prefer the Private Beaches and pools, no saving chairs, no waiting in lines, 300 sq foot bathrooms, private pools for the suite, gourmet cuisine prepared for the diner, not for a mass audience. Fresh fish and seafood. However, the cost of those resort vacations are about $1,000 day and there is no way it can be compared to a cruise. Kids certainly eat into your discretionary income!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have also traveled to Europe and Asia, staying for a few days in different cities, touring historical sights and exotic locations. Those are different vacations than resort vacations. Spending 5 days in Jerusalem or Paris or Bangkok is different than spending 7 days on a Caribbean Island, much less 6 hours on one.

A cruise is a different vacation. It's more like a short term sleep-away camp on the sea. I loved summer camp, btw.

Price alone makes it like comparing apples to pinecones. One is not objectively better than another, it's personal preference and opportunity.

Of all the places we have been, I would recommend Caneel Bay in St. John and Las Brisas in Acapulco as 2 amazing places. I've heard wonderful things about Cap Jaluca as mentioned above and Anse Chastinet on St. Lucia.

Vacation time is a very personal thing. We have done 8 cruises and 2 AI. We started cruising 3 yrs. ago, and have never had a balcony yet (until our Freedom Cruise in Sept) and we did a 5* AI in Riviera Maya, and a 5* AI in Puerto Vallarta. The food was not very good at either place. Didn't even come close to Cruise ship food. We cruise either by ourselves, or with family.

We do the AI with a group of friends. Our friends don't want to try cruising, since the alcohol is not included. This year the AI is to Punta Cana. IMO, I would be bored there for a week, as we like to explore the islands on our own, and IMO, it is not safe outside of the resorts there. We will be skipping the AI this year, and doing 2, maybe 3 cruises. We are on the Caribbean Princess in April, and the Freedom in Sept, for our 28th anniv. (with our first balcony!). We like high impact vacations, and just love sitting on deck sunning in middle of the ocean! We drink lots while at the AI, but not very much while on a cruise.

IMO, there is not much comparison between an AI and a cruise, for the $$$ and for things to do. Same place at an AI, different place every day on a cruise. We may go back to an AI, but we definitely prefer to cruise!

There really are no AIs in Hawaii. There you will have resorts and your choice of restaurants. The reason is because that Hawaii is still in the US. Most AIs are generally located in areas that are a) foreign b) lower income c) places where infrastructure is not necessarily as advanced (ie. AIs have their own water purification system)

Hawaii is still a US vacation destination. You wont find AIs there just like you wouldn't in Florida.

Interesting how many mentioned Iberostar Paraiso (Lindo, Del Mar) same resort, Lindo a star higher.

We've been there 3 times as we absolutely loved it. I've also been to 2 Dominican Republic AIs and one in Puerto Vallarta, even another in the Mayan Riviera, and none came close to the Iberostar.

Highly recommend it for a week. Never an issue not finding things to do, or people to hang with. We've made life-long friends there.

We also love cruising, but know it's a LOT more expensive. The AI from here (Ottawa, Canada) range from $500 Cdn / week to $1500.00 Cdn/ week. Even at the high end it INCLUDES airfare and all of your drinks for a week in a nice room. You might be able to scimp and put 4 in an inside for a week and pay your airfare to the port for the same price, but then you still have to pay port charges and drinks on top.

It is a different vacation as others have said.

I love cruising, but I don't consider it a cheap or AI vacation by any stretch!

We went to Beaches....Turks and Caicos. We always wanted to try an AI - too many buffets. Too many little hands licking their fingers...and the whole place could use a really good scrub.

We had fun....but not sure if I would spend 5 days there again. We are spending the day in Antigua at Pineapple Beach - AI - that should do it.

Beaches is a family AI so not surprised at the little hands and the buffets.

One of the fun things about the Couples resorts (and there are 4 of them, all in Jamaica, 2 in Negril, 2 in Ocho Rios) is that they maintain on their website a message board with a series of threads very similar to Cruise Critic, along with a similar set up for "who's going when." By the time I got there, I had spoken with people on line, met up with some of them for drinks, and ran into people in hot tubs and the like that I discovered I had chatted with online! It made it a lot of fun!

Caviargal, I assume when you say Swept Away you mean Couples--I think I'd like to try that next go round for an AI. Loved Negril, but the idea of SA also intrigues me--and my husband the fitness nut loved the idea of their fitness center--one of his measurements of a cruise ship is the gym facility!

Robin

Yes, Couples Swept Away it is. What a perfect resort if you like a truly tropical vacation. No loud games and Playmakers like Sandals, secluded buildings that are very private and a superb fitness center and program.

I have stayed at Sandals Dunns River, Ochi, MoBay, Negril, Antigua. Also, the Lido resorts, Breezes and a few other. CSA has it all over them for my personal tastes.

I am going to check out Le Source in Grenada when it re-opens as well. I think I am done with cruising for a while.

What happens if it rains the entire time you are at the AI? Everything mentioned was outside activites, are there indoor things to do? Yes it can rain while cruising also, but there are lots of indoor activities and if it's a day at sea then the ship can most likely go around the rain, unless of course it's a hurricane and then you probably would have some rough weather. We have stayed away from AI's for this reason and wonder since so many people seem to like them then maybe there are more activites when it rains. But if you are not a drinker (and that seems to be the biggest advantage) then is the price really better? Are all of the water activites included? It seems to me that I've read some things are but others have to be paid for, does this vary by resort?

Just a few questions since everytime I've priced an AI, it was alot more than a cruise.

What happens if it rains the entire time you are at the AI? Everything mentioned was outside activites, are there indoor things to do? Yes it can rain while cruising also, but there are lots of indoor activities and if it's a day at sea then the ship can most likely go around the rain, unless of course it's a hurricane and then you probably would have some rough weather. We have stayed away from AI's for this reason and wonder since so many people seem to like them then maybe there are more activites when it rains. But if you are not a drinker (and that seems to be the biggest advantage) then is the price really better? Are all of the water activites included? It seems to me that I've read some things are but others have to be paid for, does this vary by resort?

Just a few questions since everytime I've priced an AI, it was alot more than a cruise.

In a true AI, all watersports are included. I am not a big drinker so that does not play a big part in my decision but I imagine it is important to many.

What do you do on a cruise if it rains? One cannot lay by the pool or walk around in port. At an AI, there are indoor options such as sauna and steam, internet portal, library, usually a TV room with a large screen TV, spa, etc. I think it is much the same. I do not like bingo or games on a cruise so I am happy curling up with a book when the weather is rainy. I would do the same at an AI. Many have DVD players in the rooms, if you are a movie buff. And the rooms are generally much larger as well so not as confining as a cruise cabin.

I find an AI to be a more personal and private vacation than a cruise. As to cost, it varies greatly between AIs just as it does between cruise lines. You choose accomodation type and location. And there are bargain AIs as well as luxury choices.

Archived