Another Upgrade Question...

candaceandjason

Some friends of mine just got off the Elation and they received an upgrade to a suite. They told me that they were told by a Carnival rep that if you booked through a TA (which we did) then you would not get an upgrade. I was wondering if this was true and/or if anyone has booked through at TA and gotten an upgrade? Thanks in advance!!

I have. I think the Carnival Rep was speading bad information just to try and steer business Carnival's way, rather than through a TA. For Shame!

I agree-- for shame for blantly telling a lie.

BUT by reading the boards you will think that almost everyone gets upgraded. Remember that cruisecritics represent 1% of fellow cruisers on any given sailing.

For what its worth (quoting a Carnival PVP), he said that the upgrades are usually first come first serve, meaning it goes by booking date:rolleyes: (he might have said this to get us to go ahead and book, which we did). He said that once they sell out a certain level they will start upgrading based on your booking date/cabin/deck. Like I said not sure if it is acurate or not. On our last cruise we booked 9 months early and received an upgrade:D . He said you are less likely to receive an upgrade if you book a month or less from sailing date. Here again this is based on a Carnival PVP.

For what its worth (quoting a Carnival PVP), he said that the upgrades are usually first come first serve, meaning it goes by booking date:rolleyes: (he might have said this to get us to go ahead and book, which we did). He said that once they sell out a certain level they will start upgrading based on your booking date/cabin/deck. Like I said not sure if it is acurate or not. On our last cruise we booked 9 months early and received an upgrade:D . He said you are less likely to receive an upgrade if you book a month or less from sailing date. Here again this is based on a Carnival PVP.

If this is in any way true, it's certainly an incentive to book early. We booked a guarantee OV through a TA over a year before our 2004 cruise and got upgraded to a BL.:D Last year we booked a specific cabin nine months in advance with a PVP at Carnival. Did not expect an upgrade, and didn't get one.

This year we again booked through our PVP at Carnival, a specific cabin, six months in advance. Again, not expecting an upgrade. I guess we'll find out in 81 days.

Next year maybe we'll try just booking a BL guarantee and see what happens.:rolleyes:

My fiance' booked our honeymoon last May, I think. When we booked, the Conquest was still sailing out of New Orleans, so now we have to fly to Houston. That's kind of a bummer especially since it's going to cost us more money. Oh well..... an upgrade would make it better! We'll have a blast with or without an upgrade!

My fiance' booked our honeymoon last May, I think. When we booked, the Conquest was still sailing out of New Orleans, so now we have to fly to Houston. That's kind of a bummer especially since it's going to cost us more money. Oh well..... an upgrade would make it better! We'll have a blast with or without an upgrade!

Because of the hurricane and the Conquest having to move to Galveston, you should be getting a $100.00 per cabin ship board credit I believe. We were notified by out TA and got the $100.00 credit.

I booked a balconly guarantee 1 year in advance. Got cabin # last week and it is not an upgrade. It is 8A forward. Of course I was hoping for that fabulous upgrade to a suite. Oh well, I will be happy anywhere. That is why I book guarantee, I don't really know enough about the ships to know a certain room to book. I think it's also fun to take a gamble. Who knows how they determine upgrades. I say they toss them in one of those bingo wheels and spin them around. Hey, that makes sense, I never win at bingo either.

We booked through a TA nearly 1 year in advance. Originally set for Elation, but than she was going into drydock. Given opportunity to move to another ship or delay Elation by 2 weeks. Well, we decided on Triumph at same time frame, but price protected. The price we paid was quite a bit less on the Elation than the Triumph quoted price. Our TA said there was little to no chance of an upgrade due to that. So I didn't stress about it, arrived at the pier and discovered we had been upgraded to a balcony. Happiest day of the trip:D TA said she's only had 3 others ever upgraded.

Archived