Honolulu port parking and car rentals?

CRUSINGFAMILY

Can anyone tell us if there is public parking anywhere near the cruise port in Honolulu?

We would like to rent a car while in Oahu....are the car rental places right at the pier? Do any companies offer late returns as we would like to go to a luau.

We would like the option to come back to the ship midday so parking close by would be handy.

If there is parking near the port, do you have any idea on the cost to park there?

Yes, there is parking there... http://www.alohatower.com can tell you about that plus shops and restaurants. Last time we were there, it was $12 for 3 or 4 hours we were there. But the tower does validate so you can buy a soda to get some knocked off.

There are no rental companies there an as of our cruise, there were no shuttles except for those rentals arranged through the ship. There is a taxi stand and most rentals are at the airport which is about a 10-15 minute drive in light traffic.

As for late returns, you will have to ask.

This is the same site Suebee referred to. It's been about a year since we've been there but Alamo ran shuttles to/from their Ala Moana office. When we inquired about rentals, they would not run a shuttle from the airport location.http://www.alohatower.com/transportation.html

We rented through Thrifty in Honolulu. They had a shuttle at the dock to take us to their rental pick up place (not at the airport) and, if I remember right, late return was OK. But I don't know how late. I do remember that it was after dinner and after dark when we took the car back. They took us back to the dock in their shuttle.

• 1 month later...

Hi Cruisingfamily - we sailed with you last year on the Voyager. Thrifty is the only rental agency I have been able to find with pier shuttle that is open late. We're renting a car with them in Honolulu, but then we're returning it to the airport when we fly out that same afternoon. I called Enterprise myself at the airport and they "don't pick you up" at the pier. They do offer a Waikiki location, though, that may run pier shuttle service, but probably closes early.

If you're looking to go to a Luau - try Germaine's or Paradise Cove Luaus - they offer free transportation to/from the luau and you can catch their bus at the Ala Moana Hotel (a short cab ride) from the pier (one of the closer hotels to the pier). Paradise Cove Luau also offers transportation to their site from the Ala Moana Hotel (I believe), but for an extra fee. Both Luaus offer discount coupons in the Entertainment Book and you can call them directly for information.

Have a great cruise to Hawaii in May and ALOOOOOOOOOHA!

Hang loose!

• 8 years later...

It seems this post is old so I'm asking again. We will be leaving the POA on 1/24/15 and and returning to the airport late on 1/28. Trying to research the easiest and/or least expensive way to rent a vehicle for those 4/5 days.

Would love it if we could get a car at the port.. Anyone know if there are more options to get your vehicle at the port or at least have the rental company have a shuttle there?

All car rentals are not on airport property. You take a shuttle to ALL car rentals. They are about half way between the port and the airport (closer to the airport). Most have a shuttle to the port on disembarkation. Call the individual companies to find our the specific shuttle operations.