Misconception re: booking hotels through cruiseline

FitzLA

This is just to clarify the booking process for hotels booked through the cruiseline. I have always stated that it is way cheaper to book through the cruiseline than anywhere else (except maybe priceline which I will never use). Many people have told me that I am wrong and that the prices are per person per night. False. And I should know as I have used it. Here is how it works. I will use our upcoming cruise out of Miami as an example;

When booking pre or post cruise hotels online, you will get to that page after stateroom selection. It will ask you via a pull down menu how many nights you want. We selected the Doubletree in Miami for 2 nights. This is what it quoted.

* Prices are per person, shown in U. S. Dollars and based on number of nights selected.

For instance...if you select 1 night, the price was $84 per person for the 1 night. That is $168 total including tax for the 1 night. And the price goes down if you select more nights.

Select 2 nights and it states $133 per person for 2 nights. That comes out to a total with tax of $133 per night for 2 nights.

Select 3 nights and it states the price is $182 total per person for 3 nights. That comes out to about $121 a night total including tax.

This same hotel through any other website, including the doubletree website was around $199 not including tax. And we all know that hotel tax is more expensive, so this same hotel would cost you around $230 a night anywhere else.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I just wanted to clarify since so many seem to have the wrong idea. And I base this on how many people have told me I am wrong.

Happy cruising!!!

Okay, I booked a room in Vancouver on Priceline, won an $85.00 bid, plus tax. The cruiseline wanted $289 for the same hotel.

I have always been able to book a hotel room. airfare and ground transportation cheaper than what the cruise lines offer.

We are planning our cruise, we originally did the air and hotel through the cruise line. They wanted $1,000 for the air, transfers and hotel. I was able to get air, hotel and transfers for about 1/3 that price. I think it depends on where you wnat to go and the lead time you have. The more time you have to plan then you maybe able do it for less.

Perhaps it depends on what is going on at the port city. When I asked about hotels in Barcelona through the RC, I was told it was $198 per person per night for a standard room at the Atrium Palace. For two people staying two nights, that came to $792 dollars. I reserved a suite directly with the same hotel for $562 total with VAT and other taxes for the two nights. I was checking on the hotels about a year in advance so it wasn't a last minute booking that was making the cruiseline price so much higher.

Just beware about being particular about which hotel. I booked the Hyatt in downtown Houston for my last December sailing on Rhapsody. About 3 weeks before the sailing I just happened to notice that they switched us to the Doubletree at Intercontinental Airport. When we talked to our agent, we were told by RCI that it was the same class of hotel so they were within their rights to switch us. Since I was flying into Hobby, I cancelled and booked my own hotel closer to Hobby. Even with the close to $100 fee for cancelling, I still paid less for the Westin hotel I booked on my own than I paid for the cruiseline hotel.

However, I have the Sheraton Old San Juan booked through the cruiseline for March. The cruiseline has always been cheaper than booking it on my own.

Here is a quick research project that I did based on a 1 night pre and post cruise stay for the Radiance Sept. 2 sailing from Vancouver, BC to Seward AK. I looked up the price of a basic room on the hotel's website for the same time frame with taxes included based on 2 people.

Sutton Place, Vancouver

RC - $258

Hotel - $291

Sheraton Wall Centre, Vancouver

RC - $260

Hotel - $232

Hyatt Regency, Vancouver

RC - $268

Hotel - 296

Hilton, Anchorage

RC - $350

Hotel - $246

The Sheraton is cheaper through RC, but the others aren't. I guess the bottom line is RESEARCH! There are bargains with the cruiseline if you know what you're looking for.

Generally I have found a rate cheaper than the cruiseline offers. Of course you are on your own with luggage and a taxi. I rarely use priceline. I just do better by calling the hotel and seeing what they are offering. I have been fortunate so far. Everyone needs to do what works for them.

The last room I booked on Priceline.....(Ft Lauderdale)....we had two rooms and they were both smokey.

There was no other room to move us into.

Our clothes smelled.

A bad experience.

Did we save some money? Yes.

Was it worth it? No. Not IMHO.

If it was not booked on Priceline...we would have left the hotel and stayed somewhere else.

The general experiences I have heard from many people about priceline is that you get a run of the mill room. No upgrades and you get the worst room they have available. I guess you might be able to pay more once you get there for an upgrade, but that defeats the purpose of priceline. I stand by my original statement; I will never use priceline.

Archived