discounted admission for carers/helpers at sights

shel003

While planning for my cruise (both pre-cruise stay and during the cruise) I saw that quite a few sights in Northern Europe offer discounted admission prices for the disabled or free admission for their helpers.  I was wondering if anyone knows whether special documentation is need for this or whether seeing someone in a manual wheelchair with someone pushing them is enough for the discount?  Also I've read that in order to get this discount you need to buy tickets in person vs. online, is this true?  I'm a little concerned that tickets will sell out and we won't get in.  Specifically we are looking to visit the state rooms at Buckingham Palace in September and Dem Gable (outdoor open air museum) in Aarhus Denmark (late September).  Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.  THanks!

We carry a copy of my disabled parking permit and/or a physician’s letter, but are rarely asked for documentation, perhaps in part because I also appear unnaturally stiff.

While traveling along the Mediterranean, we never had issues with ticket availability- the only thing we prepurchased was the Vatican.

To my knowledge, all the European countries will allow “helper” free if you show your placard (HC parking permit). Both Ruth and I carried our placards and they only charged us for one entry fee. On one occasion, we were with my cousin and his wife at Kronborg. Commonly referred to as “Hamlet's Castle” (Kronborg is a castle and stronghold in the town of Helsingør, Denmark. Immortalized as Elsinore in William Shakespeare's play Hamlet). My cousin is also disabled and I think the clerk was ready to just give up and let us all in. We ended up with two free and two paid.

Buckingham Palace either let us both in free or charged only one entry. There were a couple places in London that did let us both in free and I do not remember who did. London Tower only charged us for one. That I remember because the clerks said they had never seen two disabled traveling together.

I have not been to that particular Out Door Museum, but have been to a couple others. One charged for one person and the other let us both in free. You may find that some of the areas are not accessible. Regardless, it is definitely worth a visit.

If you are going to spend anytime in Copenhagen, check out the Copenhagen Card. On one trip we got it and it saved a bundle of money. When we went to the airport, there was a few hours on our card so I gave it to airport helper that assisted me for a tip and he was thrilled. https://copenhagencard.com/.

Have a wonderful trip,

Betty

7 hours ago, raindropsalways said:

To my knowledge, all the European countries will allow “helper” free if you show your placard (HC parking permit). Both Ruth and I carried our placards and they only charged us for one entry fee. On one occasion, we were with my cousin and his wife at Kronborg. Commonly referred to as “Hamlet's Castle” (Kronborg is a castle and stronghold in the town of Helsingør, Denmark. Immortalized as Elsinore in William Shakespeare's play Hamlet). My cousin is also disabled and I think the clerk was ready to just give up and let us all in. We ended up with two free and two paid.

Buckingham Palace either let us both in free or charged only one entry. There were a couple places in London that did let us both in free and I do not remember who did. London Tower only charged us for one. That I remember because the clerks said they had never seen two disabled traveling together.

I have not been to that particular Out Door Museum, but have been to a couple others. One charged for one person and the other let us both in free. You may find that some of the areas are not accessible. Regardless, it is definitely worth a visit.

If you are going to spend anytime in Copenhagen, check out the Copenhagen Card. On one trip we got it and it saved a bundle of money. When we went to the airport, there was a few hours on our card so I gave it to airport helper that assisted me for a tip and he was thrilled. https://copenhagencard.com/.

Have a wonderful trip,

Betty

Thanks for the feedback.  When you went to Buckingham Palace did you have any trouble getting tickets on the day at the gate or did you get them ahead of time?  I will definitely bring my handicap tag for the trip.  Unfortunately, we only have a day in Copenhagen and I've already booked a private tour through Tours by Locals so not sure that the card will help.  

Kristin

Kristin,

Due to an abundance of unknown factors, we normally did not book anything in advance. That particular trip was in mid October and the only place we had a problem was Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. They could not accommodate both scooters at the afternoon program and we did not want to be out after dark. Sherlock Holmes museum was just around the corner, regardless we headed off someplace else of interest.

I've been to Buckingham Palace twice. The first time was back in 1998 when my granddaughter who was just 9 years old then. For some reason, she did not want to go in. Regardless, she enjoyed watching everything going on outside and we had to see the changing of the guards. The other time was when Ruth and I were there That was in October 2013 and Ruth was not interested in going in. I think she may have visited there in her college days. People were going in and coming out, but I am not aware of circumstances.

If your tour in Copenhagen is actually in Copenhagen, ask your tour guide to stop at Torvehallerne for lunch. You can find excellent “fish & chips” in London, but this place has the best in the world. It is close to Rosenborg Castle where the Danish Crown Jewels are kept. This is where your “helper” comes in handy. There is not any elevator and the Crown Jewels are in the basement, thus it is up to your “helper” to get you up and down the stairs. What I remember most about the Crown Jewels is not the jewels, it is the “armor”. Actually, the size of the armor. Those men had to be little, a fact that someone confirmed.

Also, if you are an art buff, Vor Frue Kirke (Copenhagen Cathedral) is home to Thorvaldsen's statues of Christ & the apostles. Do not think it is on any of the regular tours. I became aware of it when my grandparents visited us in the Los Angeles area. There is a replica of Christ statue at Forest Lawn which my grandmother noticed immediately.

If you are doing the castle tour, Frederksborg (Europe's best) and Kronborg (Hamlets), it is unlikely that you will have much time to see anything in Copenhagen. Regardless, in my opinion, Frederksborg is definitely tops. They do have an elevator, however I doubt that the up stairs is open to the general public but would not hurt to ask. . We were with my cousin at the time and he managed to get us access to the elevator. Also, depending on the time of year, the tour might stop at the Queen's summer residence (Fredensborg Slot) for the Changing of the Guards.

It is too early for the Copenhagen's Port Authority to show your docking. However, based on the size of Island Princess, you could dock at Langelinie. The Advantage there is you would be close to central Copenhagen. Actually, it is just a mile to Amalienborg Castle and you would go right past the Little Mermaid. I believe Amalienborg is still the Queen's winter home where you can also see the Changing of the Guards.

The metro at Nordhavn /Orientkaj extension opens in early 2020. Thus this would provide transportation out of the Port. Scooters are not allowed on Copenhagen buses. The metro in Copenhagen is fairly new. I have not used it. In my able bodied days, I used either the buses or the trains. I have used the trains in recent times, however my cousin usually picks us up at the ship.

Love your itinerary. I have not been to Hamburg or Gothenburg but have visited other parts of Sweden and Germany.  With your tour, I also doubt that you could benefit with the Copenhagen Card. We used it for transportation and sights. 

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty