Waitlist

can786

Just a note to anyone who is booked on a cruise and waitlisted for another category cabin. Don't count on Princess to notify you when a cabin in your waitlisted category becomes available but rather you must be proactive and check for yourself.

My mother and I have been booked on the Sea Princess (July 1st sailing) since last June. At the time of booking I could not talk my mom into splurging for a minisuite as the Sun class minis are quite costly compared to a mini on the Grand class. We booked a category DD deluxe oceanview. I continued to talk up the minisuite and by the time she agreed to splurge for the minisuite in August they were all booked. We were put on the waitlist for a minisuite at that time and were #1 on the waitlist.

Fast forward to November 30th, around 11:30pm. In the course of my normal checking for available cabins I see there are two minisuites suddenly available for my cruise. I immediately checked the cruise personalizer and saw we had not been "upgraded" to a minisuite. Since it was so late I sent an e-mail to my TA asking her to book us into a minisuite in the morning. When I got up at 6:15 the next morning, both minis were gone. My TA was unable to get one for us despite being #1 on the waitlist.

After a month of checking 4-5 times a day (can you say obsessive?) I decided to write Princess a letter asking why available cabins are not given to those on the waitlist. Not surprisingly, I haven't heard anything from Princess in regards to my letter yet, though I don't honestly expect to.

Yesterday evening I checked once again (for the third time that day) and now there were two AC minisuites showing as available. Once again, we had not been given one of them. I tried calling my TA but got her voice mail. Knowing how quickly these are snapped up, I called Princess directly. They tried telling me there was nothing they could do to change my booking since I am booked through a TA. I politely told them that I understand their policy, but since my TA was unavailable and I am #1 on the waitlist for a minisuite they should be able to make an exception. I pointed out that this had happened before and I lost out on the minisuite the last time. It took quite a while of being put on hold and while they checked with various people/departments but they changed my cabin to the minisuite without my TA requesting it. By the time I got off the phone with them both of the available minisuites were gone which just shows how quickly they are snapped up.

So to make a long story short, if you are waitlisted for a category and really want to get a cabin in that category don't count on Princess to notify you when a cabin becomes available. If it is really important to you, check several times a day for any available cabins and act immediately if one becomes available.

I have seen this complaint before, amazing isn't it? With the computers handling so much, you would think that they would show them there were passengers waiting to book these cabins?

But, all your trouble will be well worth the effort. The mini suites on the Sea are fabulous, more like the Vista Suites on the Grand Class. In fact, we had been looking to sail on the Sea Princess again but all the minis were gone through the dates we wanted. Finally booked this morning for the December 9th sailing. Only AC's left, but we were able to get our exact same cabin as we had this past November. You will be glad you kept a watchful eye and that you were so forceful with Princess. You will be much more comfortable in the mini.

This is your TA's responsibility. Since you'd booked with her, they would receive the notification and check with you. I wouldn't expect a notification directly from Princess. If I saw the availability and hadn't heard from my TA, I would have been on the phone to her immediately (she's available from early morning to late at night.)

I'm glad you were able to cut through the red tape and get your minisuite.

Pam,

We probably have the same TA (highly regarded on these boards, located in Orrville Ohio). I tried calling her and got her voice mail. Since I know how quickly these cabins disappear I didn't want to chance leaving a message and losing out on the cabin in the time it might have taken for her to respond. When I finished with Princess I sent Kim an e-mail to let her know about the changes to the booking and ask for an updated invoice. She responded and was obviously rather put out with Princess because they had not notified her that there were any minisuites available despite our being #1 on the waitlist since August. Since she has many clients I certainly cannot expect her to check 4-5 times a day for a minisuite for us.

• 3 weeks later...

I had no problems on mine. I only booked two weeks ago for the Mar 4th sailing of the sapphire for a 7 day to Mex. The 11th went quick and I should have booked the day before, but someone came in and bought out the remaining cabins the next day the 11th sailing wasn't even listed anymore. (Forgot it's spring break but that even makes it better!)

I was able to get on the Mar 4 sailing, but had to book a weak oceanview EE category on the lowest deck...bleah. But I wanted to at least get on.

I waitlisted for any better oceanview/balcony/minisuite. The next day, Princess called me to inform an upgrade was available. So I upgraded to CC categore on Baja deck (the balcony cabins relabeled as oceanview because they lock the doors after sailing because of wind and customers complained). But I still remain on the waitlist in position 5 for anything higher that may come up.

They were good at calling me and letting me know, but I booked direct from Princess and didn't use a TA. I figure out what I want through the online sites like Travelocity and call direct and purchase. I always get the same price.

Still hoping for a phone call before then to get a "real" balcony or minisuite.

Just my experience

I use either Princess.com or any of the large travel sites like Travelocity or Expedia to check for cabin availability. Just pretend that you want to book a cruise (though you obviously don't want to put any actual credit card info in) and they will show you up to 6 cabins in any particular category that has availability. Keep in mind that these sites don't discount from Princess' fares. I never actually book thru these sites as I have a great TA that discounts my fares quite nicely but they are great for doing research.

Archived